Infiniti lease buy out - $199 Safety Inspection Fee?

They have little two kids (5 and 2) so it must be enoughšŸ˜‚ since their other car is Hyundai Sonata

I canā€™t imagine hauling 7 living people very far in an RX-L, CX9 or a QX60

The CX-9 has a perfectly reasonable amount of space for a 2 row SUV. It just has a really oddly designed cargo partition in the trunk.

I had to deal with that in a Crosstour when we had two kids. Itā€™s even worse designed than in CX-9 but felt better since I was coming from Accord.

The QX60 has one of the largest third rows in the class - one of the reasons we like it so much.

Even if you buy out at $30k with a lease-buy-out loan (72months, 3.4% APR, $460 pmt), after another 3 years of payments you are left with $15k outstanding loans. Probably wonā€™t make profit but should not be in hole much even if itā€™s 7 year old Infinity.

So far I donā€™t see many options with $460 a months for a 3 row AWD SUV and $0 DAS. May be base version Highlander LEā€¦ But their 3rd row was atrocious when I tried being 5ā€™10" which I can ride in QX60 in 3rd row for few hours.

1 Like

I was in the same boat; options were:

1. Lease something else: no decent deals, let alone good to great.

2. Buy out the QX60: no way.

3. Buy something else: ended up ordering a Telluride

How much over MSRP did you have to pay? Iā€™m getting an offer on a Palisade Limited for MSRP.

No markup over MSRP
No add-ons
$399 doc
Rest is TTL to the state

2 Likes

Max, did you get your Palisade yet?

I am curious on the space inside since a QX60 is 4 inches longer. Yet the cargo room and inside specs look almost identical - if not slightly bigger on the Palisade. It is a slightly wider vehicle

I do agree with the OP that the interior and 3rd row space on the QX60 is actually one of the best redeeming qualities about the SUV. Iā€™ve been surprised how much weā€™ve used that third row - usually just a teenager happy to have a row to themselves rather than two humans back there.

I have this same scenario playing out in March, 2022 when the QX goes back and looks like definitely will be Door #3. Hoping I can always kick the can with an extended lease another couple of months if necessary.

Telluride and not yet. Due to arrive late September

One quirk with the trim choices is that all the trims with LED headlights (SXP, SX & EXP) come with second row captains chairs, ie 7 passenger seating. Realistically thatā€™s 6 adults or 4 adults plus 3 kids

Did anyone buy out their Infiniti Lease? I have a question about a line in the buyout letter that you can print out from IFS. It says ā€œIf you wish to purchase your vehicle, please contact your Infiniti retailer and set up an appointment to facilitate your payoff. At that time, your retailer will calculate and collect APPLICABLE SALES TAX, and official fees, that are not included in your payoff amount.ā€

If Iā€™m going to sell this car within the CA 10 day period to avoid Sales Tax, is the dealer going to force me to pay sales tax? Did anyone here go through this? Is there an avenue to getting your sales tax money back that isnā€™t a hassle? Thanks.

Iā€™m in the same boat - QX60 2018 - lease expires in Nov 2021. Only have 18K miles on it and with the current market I will buy it out - 28K buyout cost + tax in Cali. Will probably keep it for 1-3 years and get something else once the market cools down. I donā€™t trust the CVT in this car - other than that itā€™s been a great ride for $350/monthā€¦

1 Like

Try extending the lease first up to max 6 months and then re-evaluate

3 Likes

Cliff note of my post - Make sure you know where your MSDs are going if you decide to buyout

My 2018 QX60 was up in July. Iā€™ve got an extension through November. The dealer indicated I may be able to extend through January. We will see about that. Iā€™ve got 25,000 miles on it.

My buy out online is $29,026. When I brought the car to the dealer I let them know that I had $3,600 in MSDs but was told i would get that back after the buyout. They then told me my buyout was actually $26,176. I got excited because i have a Vroom offer of $35,900. The day I went to sign I called and asked to see the docs before i came in. To be certain, I asked if i was going to get my MSD back or if it was included in the the $26,176. The person on the phone did not know and they called me back later confirming that it was included. I ended up not buying it because once i factored the $3,600 MSD and the $1900 in taxes and fees.

1 Like

I donā€™t understand your math. Did they decide to keep part of your MSD?

What is the $29,500 they wrote on the paper?

The $29,026 is my buy out per Infiniti online. It factors in that my lease has been extended since July. My original lease had a purchase option of $30,101.70

The dealership came up with the $26,176 by including my $3,600 MSD. The real price I would be paying is $29,776 ($26,176 + $3,600) before taxes and fees.

I guess the question is why is it $29,026 online and $29,776 in store?

Shouldnā€™t the in-store price be $29,026 - $3,600 = $25,426 ?

this is probably including some dealer feeds.

Extending the lease is an option for sure - but it looks like that the chip shortage will not be resolved in six months. Some estimates from Bloomberg projects that the chip shortage will last well into 2023. As long as the shortage lasts the demand will outpace the supplyā€¦