If lease and finance come out near the same, what factors decide to choose?

monthly. I don’t plan on keeping vehicle. the only thing scratching my head is like, if there’s that ‘positive equity’ factor about selling/trading in early. but i suppose that can’t really be answered simply due to market conditions

You have to look at the TCO when doing a lease vs. buy analysis, not just the monthly payment.

If the TCO is roughly the same then it ultimately becomes a personal decision whether to lease or buy.

The big benefit of leasing in an equal TCO scenario is that you can just turn the car in at the end of the term. But with financing you have much more flexibility and of course you own the car and any equity.

1 Like

thanks. yeah i’m leaning to leasing because of no hassle of getting new vehicle every 3 years. i suppose the positive equity scenario given market condition threw me off track a bit

This is the worst time in history to be making these kind of moves, moving from a car you picked up in Jan '21 to move into something with a horrendous TCO… just on a whim basically.

2 Likes

We need more info for each vehicle to help. Msrp, cap cost, current buyout, buyout fees. New vehicle msrp, cap cost, fees. Rough guess but leasing that 230 is about to light $20k on fire.

1 Like

Not with these residuals.

2 Likes

Elantra N-Line:
agreed value of vehicle: $25065.82
gross cap cost: $27629.61
cap cost reduction: $750
adjusted cap cost: $26879.61
residual: $15810
current buyout amount: $21,484.88
not sure of any buyout fees- spoke with HMF over phone and i just need to make a payment of buyout and then submit the odo form

230i:
msrp: $47,445
fees: 340
taxes: 3125.37

1 Like

Is that half a percentage RV a new thing (52.5%)? When did BMWFS start that?

2 Likes

First I’ve seen of it but they did also push MSD back to .00005 per.

2 Likes

Isnt leasing generally lighting stuff on fire anyway? Not too sure what you are trying to say…

You can purchase and not plan on keeping the vehicle too. You actually have more flexibility in many cases of getting out early if you purchase rather than lease.

Ultimately, rather than look at the monthly payment, you need to look at the total cost. Cash flow may be a tie breaker here, but if there’s a huge swing in total cost of ownership (as is likely the case if you have an equal monthly payment), then you should be deciding based on that.

2 Likes

Aside from leases being crap currently and in the recent past, leasing doesn’t have to be about wasting $. That’s kind of the whole point of this site…

1 Like

Leases usually cover GAP insurance, you might need to add it if finance.

1 Like

Thats pretty much the case. Salary is 150k, and my monthly expenses are $2300-2500 (includes my current hyundai lease $360). Just wanted to know if anyone with experience can chime in regarding lease vs finance scenario given the numbers and context.

So which option has the lower expected total cost of ownership?

2 Likes

I’ll have to check the latest bulletins but I might be able to get you a lender tax credit on a 2cp lease. That would be an advantage over retail purchase.

1 Like

dang…that is pretty interesting to see. thank you

2 Likes

Confirmed. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.