Ideal RV and MF - Lease w/ intention to Buy

If you know 100% that you’re going to be buying the car at the lease end, I think the MF is much more important than RV. What’s critical is finding a car that has much better lease support (better rebates) vs standard purchase.

1 Like

You are not a fan of perpetual payments. So you are going to buy the Audi/Volvo cash at lease end? If that’s not the case, you are looking at 6 to 9 years of payments. Then you are going to drive it another 10 years?

Thanks Electric, I totally agree with you on this one. Considering getting an Extended warranty or the CPO Volvo and Audi both come with a 5 year, unlimited mileage warranty. Its either those or a Tahoe/Yukon, but the current platform is 5 years old and leaves a lot to be desired.

Just trying to take everything into consideration and make the right decision for our family moving forward.

You sir, make a great point. Guess we’re just going to buy. Exploring all the options right now.

If buying, I would seriously take a look at the new Hyundai Pallisade or Kia Telluride. Lots of vehicle for the $$$ and great warranty to boot.

1 Like

Learn from me and my experience, don’t buy a CPO and expect significant cost savings. See below:
BMW CPO TRUE COST

2 Likes

Agreed, we looked at both of those and the VW Atlas. If anything might go with the Atlas. Only thing is with the VW it lacked power and some of the interior materials are a little on the cheap side, but have already got 8k off sticker and the warranty is pretty hard to beat with the 6yr 72k bumper to bumper.

If it is somethig for the long haul, I would be looking at a Toyota/Lexus or Honda/Acura.

3 Likes

Following for replies.
Before finding this site, my plans were to lease again (currently leasing an Acadia, wife LOVES it and wants another). My thought being; she loves the car and said if I get her another one in her ideal color combo she’d drive it for 10 years. I figured we could get the low lease payment for 3 years or so, then buy it out. I get (relatively) consistent annual raises and bonus’ so each year we put off purchasing puts us in a better position to buy it eventually while having low payments in the mean time.
Ofcourse there are exceptions to every lease ie. is the buyout a good deal with condition/age/mileage etc.

1 Like

Mark, we kind of had the same thought as well. We leased the X3 knowing we weren’t going to keep it with the thoughts of getting a Tahoe or Yukon on lease end. We’ve test driven a few and looked at some CPO ones and there are a lot better cars on the market now in the same price range.

Agreed. We’re open to some of the Acadia’s competition…it will likely come down to the best deal or more specifically the lowest lease payment I can get while maintaining a reasonable option to buy at lease end. Fwiw we have a 2 year old daughter as well, even with just her we need a mid-size SUV/Crossover. Vehicles that will be in the running:
-Volvo XC90 (these are growing on me and apparently do lease well)
-Infiniti QX60
-Nissan Pathfinder
-Toyota 4 Runner
-Jeep Grand Cherokee
-VW Atlas

Good deal man, same boat for us.

Right now we have a deal drawn up on the VW Atlas SEL R-Line down to $36k. Payment around $575/month to own. Not sure how they hold their value since they’re so new. Engine is under-powered but we don’t need a race car, that being said, would rather put a little more money in the pot to get something we’d like for years to come which has us looking at the Audi and Volvo.

Can’t you just get an aftermarket warranty. I’m not talking about the junk companies. There are some legit companies that offer bumper to bumper warranties at any shop. May be worth taking into consideration

1 Like

Kia Sorento? Low residual, tons of lease cash (over $7,000 on SXL models), and a 100,000-mile powertrain warranty should you keep it forever. It’s also quite nice inside.

Edit: The warranty might not transfer to the second owner (i.e., you), so might not be a good idea after all.

If you’re going to go the CPO route then my money would be on a Lexus RX350L. Super reliable, comfy and whilst the third row is essentially a joke, it’s okay in a pinch and you’re a few years off having to cart around proper sized kids anyway.

If you buy then buy Subaru Ascent. You will have high resale value, much better than anything you have mentioned.
If you buy a Volvo (I would not), then buy a loaner for a better discount) + CPO.

I had this same thought, if you really wanted to “lease to buy” you would want a highly discounted vehicle with a low residual so your buy-out was low. This seems better than an inflated residual with fewer discounts.

Why not just finance from the start if you’re planning to buy at lease end?

1 Like

That doesn’t really make sense. With a low RV, you are paying more depreciation during the lease.

1 Like

I would buy CPO

1 Like