I got 99 problems and a Frontier ain’t one. (A new year’s guide to a transitory lease in a car you probably don’t want)

Nobody knows the answer to this question. More pertinent questions are, what do actually need in a vehicle on a daily basis and how long could you wait?

1 Like

Realizing that the best deals sailed in 2022…or even the first weeks of 2023 when the residuals were up at 98 and 99%…this is the best local deal I have now. Welcome any thoughts.

MSRP: $45,025
18month/ 10k one pay
Residual: 95%
Money Factor: .00196
Selling Price: $43,950 (which is the same as the adj cap cost)
Upfront Fees: $1,296.47
Taxes: $381.24
Due at Start: $4,702.98
MSD: $3,150 (refunded)

Due at signing: $9,063.65

(Sorry…new to this…didn’t know how to load this in the calculator).

Dealer now offers up another $200 off if I sign this weekend…maybe I can push for more? Otherwise thoughts on this deal? Its PA taxes.

What is the max MSDs allowed by NMAC?

5 on a monthly lease, 9 on a one pay

1 Like

I am getting confused by these one pay deals. The math does not work for me but I am sure I am not doing it right. Can someone help me see the math like I am a 2 year old?

Due at Start: $4702.98
MSD: + $3150
Equals: $7852.98 (wouldn’t this be what is the total due?)

Due at Signing: $9,063.65 (Why is this $1200+ more?)

Difference: $1210.67

$4500 for a $45k truck for 18months (and maybe an extension to 24)? Looks like a deal
to grab. I wouldnt quibble over a few dollars here or there at this level.

1 Like

The dealer may be showing an additional discount via money down that you arent actually giving them. Just ask them to confirm IN WRITING how much $ you are bringing to the table.

Either youre doing the math wrong, they didnt set up the one pay correctly, or most likely, theyre simply not giving you the deal you think theyre giving.

I’m still contemplating going forward with the frontier - but even when I compare against cars I’d rather have (as a 2nd vehicle, which is why I’m buying this) - bolt, or new accord hybrid - this frontier deal is just stupid good. Every other vehicle, I need to put alot of cash down (which I"m ok with), and I still have a payment. FYI, I’m deep in the numbers and am doing a “projection” of what I think those other vehicles will be worth after taxes, finance charges, etc, meanwhile the “lease” is obviously a sure thing because it is what it is. I’m not payment focused, because the real “payment” on a car is the residual value… but hot damn this frontier has such a low cost of entry compared to purchasing an accord or bolt.

Alot of my usage for this 2nd vehicle is because I don’t want to drive my “fun car” around town - alot of short trips and stop and go… frontier’s gas mileage is pretty bad, turning radius is horrible, but its comfortable, great suspension, can go anywhere, etc… I really would rather have the new accord or bolt, but this frontier deal is really mind blowing in the current environment. But I know you guys already know that :slight_smile:

Any advice from the owners in this thread?

The RV at 98-99% presented its own set of constraints for the consumer. If you find a dealer willing to play ball, you can get the same or better deal with the current RVs — I just did it a couple weeks ago. Don’t settle for something you aren’t satisfied with because you’re under the impression the program change made the deals go away.

FWIW I’m a lot happier with the vehicle than I imagined I would be prior to taking delivery. I wasn’t particularly excited about going from a 5 Series to a Frontier but such are the certain market conditions. I can’t justify the prices folks are paying for very basic, entry level luxury cars (e.g., 3 Series, C Class, A4).

I’m thankful I went with a well-optioned PRO-4X. It drives pretty well and I love the ride height. Gas mileage is not good, but I frankly don’t care. We’ll see how we go but I wouldn’t be shocked if I extend at the 18 month point — $182/month is laughable.

Key question to ask yourself is do you want what you want or do you want what you can get the best deal on?

4 Likes

Which is kind of negated by the MPG

Look at TCO: what the car costs + fuel + insurance

Does that matter?

We are payment chasers.

Heck, we get a car not even cuz we need/want it but its so f’n cheap :joy:

4 Likes

What are folks seeing for mpg on these?

I just checked mine and over 1500ish miles with an average speed of 24 mph the display
indicates 22.1 mpg. To me for a truck of this size thats not too bad?

I get around 19/20ish if you drive it normal . Obviously worse if you have a heavy foot .

Sounds like mine is similar…this seems normal
for the segment.

Has anyone confirmed what happens on a One Pay if the lease is terminated early (vehicle is totaled or stolen)? I know there have been assumptions about it here. Is there any verbiage in the One Pay lease contract about this?

I’m interested to find out if I’m going to be penalized for wear and tear over scratches in the truck bed. I got a ridiculous deal last January 2022 for 225/mo, dealer paid upfront and first month. I wasn’t going to pay for a bed liner. Bed has some normal wear and tear from tools and things scraping. I’ve heard mixed things about trucks being turned in from a lease with scratches with no bedliner, some didn’t get charged, some did. Worse comes to worse, I’ll drop the $350 for a drop in.

This is solid advice, especially if you’re getting rid of something to make room for the Frontier. In my case, my insurance decreased when I replaced a 5 Series with a Frontier — more than covering any offset in fuel charges.

1 Like

I picked up a well optioned Pro4X in December as a third vehicle in our two person household. We have a 2022 BMW X3 (lease) and 2023 Genesis GV80 (purchased) as our other cars. I wanted a truck to do mild off-roading, mountain bike hauling, etc… We live in No. Arizona and a truck is just nice to have. I needed mid size to fit in the garage. Contemplated buying a used Tacoma but just could’t bring myself to pull the trigger. Ran across the 98% residual on Frontier’s last month, discovered the notion of MSD’s to bring the MF down on a one pay, and it was game over. This truck is just a ridiculous deal. I’ll extend once the 18 months is up, monthly will be sub $200 including tax.

Now that we’ve had it for a bit, what surprises me is how nice it is to live with. The seats are very comfortable, the cabin is quiet, handling is good, ride is decent, plenty of power, and good technology. IMHO it is head and shoulders above the Tacoma in these categories. Currently averaging 22 mpg which is perfectly fair. It’s just a great truck. Can’t go wrong as long as these residuals remain high.

On another note, the GV80 is very likely the best vehicle I’ve ever had. And I’ve had a bunch. Genesis really did their homework and executed. If they keep it up, the Germans should be very worried.

1 Like