I drive 20k miles per year and want sporty/luxury?

I updated while you were typing. It should be residualized.

Got it. Thanks.

Is it safe that if I needed 20k miles per year (not 12k) my payment would increase by about $133 per month?

8000 x 0.20 cents = $1600 / 12 = $133

I used 0.20 as a wild guess. Not sure if I should use another number.

Your payments would be based off the 15k residual + 5000 miles. I donā€™t think MBFS does anything higher than 15k.

Gotcha. Well if the only leasehackr deals I find in these forums are all 10k and 12k leases where do you think I should go from here knowing that she is at least open to match the 12k lease numbers that I got off of the forums?

If I ask her to now run a quote on 20k per year, I donā€™t have anything to compare it to and naturally the 1% rule will not apply to a 20k mile per year lease

15k will probably be 1-2% less on residual, so probably 20-30/mo or so more/mo than 12k. Add your 5k/yr miles at 20/mi and you have your ballpark.

I miss our freaking @PrettyBoyAJ now :tired_face:

5 Likes

This has been going for a long time, but I figured I would add my 2 cents. We leased a Tesla. I leased it at the end of the quarter for a steep discount causing me to save north of $1,000/mo on the payments. On the Tesla leases it is only $0.25/mile for overages. I did 15k miles. If I drove 20k miles per year it costs me an extra $1250/yr (or 1 payment, or half a set of tires). On an expensive car the cost of excess mileage may not be as big of a deal. I leased a Buick Encore and it has the same $0.25/mile overage. I would rather drive over on the Tesla than the Buick! :wink:

Teslas are sweet and for someone that pays for their own gas the high price and payment of a Tesla is offset by the money saved at the pump. In my case however I get 100% of my gas reimbursed and its been that way for every job I have had for the past 15 years. For that reason I donā€™t think the Tesla would be a fit for me.

1 Like

For a 1250/mo payment, thatā€™s a ton of gas/mo.

1 Like

Yeah, but it is a ton of car/power for that price too! We had the top of the line.

Well some quick math on that, so at $600 divided by $4/gal equals 150 gallons, times 25mpg equals 3,750 miles in a month, yeah thatā€™s allot of gas. Plus that would give $650 left a month for a lease payment. I bet most people wouldnā€™t need that much gas a month.

2 Likes

And thatā€™s fine. But to insinuate the high monthly lease cost is offset by gas savings is a little far fetched for the normal everyday driver. Now, if you were putting 500/day on the car 7 days a weekā€¦thatā€™s a different story.

I didnā€™t mention gas savings at all. You do save in gas, but not enough to justify that kind of payment. The justification comes in Power and Tech!

Is your employer reimbursing you for gas or mileage? Unless its a company car, pretty weird to reimburse for gas instead of mileage for a variety of accounting reasons. But this whole situation seems a little weird so who knows. If they are reimbursing for mileage like a normal company it changes the whole game. Who cares about 25 cents lease overages when company is giving you .59 cents a mile.

1 Like

Numbers never add up on a Tesla but I have a friend who drives 65 miles each way to work in bad traffic. Has a Bolt and free charging at work. He saves about 20 bucks a day on gas. Thatā€™s more than covers his finance payments. For people who drive a long way and have free charging at work, Bolts almost always come out ahead.

If I could get a California type deal on a Volt, Iā€™d be all over it. Most likely I could charge it at work and spend very little on gas.

I knowā€¦it was in reference to the other guy.

1 Like

California is the keyā€¦this scenario is less likely elsewhere due to lack of infrastructure

They pay for gas and give a fixed monthly car allowance as well regardless of what car you drive and whether its financed, leased, or paid off.

Iā€™ve had it that way for 15 years with multiple companies so if the accounting is wrong they are all doing it wrong.

The bigger problem with EVs outside of CA is that because of the CARB credits they offer better deals in CA.