Hyundai Genesis lease turn in questions

There is if you have a Hyundai. Honestly I wouldn’t take any Infiniti over my Genesis. At all. I have an infiniti for my wife. Genesis is a better vehicle.

I actually take my Genesis to a local Kia dealer for Oil Changes. They are as good as any other dealer. No Espresso’s at the Kia dealer like at the Infiniti but they change the oil just fine.

1 Like

Yeah. I would take a Genesis car over Infiniti, but the local infiniti dealer is really nice. No waiting no hassle on service.

My conclusion so far is if you really want a Genesis get a good deal on a used one and find a local mechanic so you can skip the dealership “experience”

The lease deals suuuuck and buying new you will pay too much because of huge depreciation (even if you get conceirge drop off service as long as that lasts)

1 Like

Same situation, 2015 Genesis 3.8 RWD with Tech, $360 month, coming due in September. I do not expect to find g80 or g70 at or below my current price.
I will call HMF to extend the lease for 6 months (they allow on month to month basis) to give me time to shop around in December

1 Like

So I have been spending a lot of time searching for my next car. Trying to decide what to buy. Like many people on here, I am less restricted by a certain budget but rather like to get bang for my buck. My current Genesis is the lowest payment on a car I have had in over 20 years. It is probably my most favorite of all of them. I have owned/leased somewhere in the neighborhood of 25 vehicles in my life. Been debating between leasing again and buying something to pay off. Leasing most likely. I will highlight some of the things I love and hate about my Genesis and some of the vehicles I have been testing out and my thoughts on them. Currently I have the '15 Genesis and a '17 QX60. Previous was a SRX, 300C, RX350, Veracruz, Camry XLE, TL Type S and Dodge Ram Trucks amongst many others.

First the Genesis:

Styling. Being in SE Michigan everyone drives a domestic car here. I go Kroger and see 30 Cadillac’s. Hated the SRX for that. The Genesis us unique and stands out. I see a Genesis maybe once a week other than mine. I like the styling and want a distinct car in the future.

Comfort. I just completed a 3500 mile road trip. I can drive all day. The size is just right for me.

Economy/Performance. I would like more speed, but the v6 is good enough and I average 22 and got 30mpg on the previously mentioned road trip. Good balance. I really like the smoothness of the V6 and 8Speed combo. Sometimes I wonder if it is on when I am moving. Idle is a little rough, maybe because of Direct Injection?

Ride/Handling. I like the feel of the car. Good and comfortable with a little sportiness but not too much that the suspension is super stiff.

Android Auto and great stereo are a bonus for me as well.

Overall it has been a mostly great car for me. There are some downsides:

Dealer Experience. Sucks. One dealer had a writer steal my car for the weekend. One installed tires and had an aggressive pull and vibration after. The backup cam literally goes dark while backing up for 2 seconds. Dealer says there is known issues but can’t fix. Overall not even close to the experience I have received at Cadillac, Lexus or Acura.

Hyundai/Genesis customer service. Just as lacking as the dealer. There should be things done by Hyundai to fix issues like the dealer putting 600 miles on my car while in service. They just point me back to the dealer.

Minor issues. Tire vibration, alignment/pull to the left, backup cam break vibration the day I got it. All annoying things that the dealer says they can no fix. I think there would be a better resolution to this with another luxury brand.

A few design gripes probably exclusive to me and not really anyone else.

I am having a hard time picking a vehicle I like that has everything the Genesis does. I am just not sure I want to get another. Especially for $100+ more per month. I have been driving a lot of vehicles to see what I like and I wanted to share some conclusions. One firm conclusion is that I do not like Turbo 4cyl engines. They are loud, buzzy and annoying to me. I like the smooth quiet delivery of a v6 or v8. On to the cars and my conclusions:

Kia Stinger GT2. I like it. Great power. Fun to drive. Comfortable but not as much so as the Genesis. Not as quiet or smooth. Wonder if I will miss that part of my Genesis.

Genesis G80 Sport. Liked it a lot. They just want too much. Would probably rather this than a Stinger. Great balance between Sport and luxury. I hate the carbon fiber inside though. It’s not a race car.

MB e400 coupe. 2014 (used) Fun to drive, great handling and power. Inside it was small, super dated and squeakey. I think I would get sick of it quick.

Kia K900. Comfy, powerful and smooth. Boring for sure. Super comfortable.

2019 RDX. Liked the car. Design inside and out. Ride was good. Didn’t like the powertrain. Jerkey transmission, noisy motor.

2018 Stelvio. Liked the looks, distinct styling. Motor was smooth for a 4cyl and quick. A lot more stiff than I am used to. Pretty comfortable interior.

2018 Mercedes c300. Small, quick, cramped and boring. Handled well. To me it seemed way to much money for the car.

2018 540i. Very nice car. Not as quick as I would have expected. Fantastically comfortable seats. I didn’t really feel like it was better than the Genesis. Similar but different. Lease price seemed way to high for what I got.

I have a few other vehicles I may look at like an es350, Avalon and Ram 1500 Limited. I will update when I drive these. At this point I am nearly 100% positive I will extend my genesis lease for a bit longer. If anyone has additional questions about these vehicles, please feel free to ask. I kind of feel like I am looking for something that is “just right” and I haven’t found it yet. Maybe a used Genesis will be the one I get.

1 Like

The Alfa deals are really good. My friend got a loaded Stelvia for low 400s/month and a Alfa Sedan (Giulia?) for $380/month. This is in a state that charges sales tax. The Genesis lease is currently around double that.

My issue with the Gulia is that I don’t fit…Got in one and had a hard time getting out. Imagine if there was an emergency. Ain’t nobody got time for that. I like the Stelvio but it was small too. Being a big galoot has its downsides.

1 Like

Lol. Did you like the drive? I could easily get one for a great price but am in love with the Genesis sport, and might wait to see if prices go down.

It would be MUCH easier and cheaper to get an Alfa

I liked it but a 2.0 turbo is just not for me. Honestly it felt too much like a sports car without being fast. I want more luxury than sport these days

@fredrigo I am in the same boat as you. My '15 3.8 AWD is up this September. I’ve gotten a few calls from local dealers offering to put me in a '18 for around same price. Hmmm. Problem is I rolled 5K of negative equity into my current lease so…was expecting to be ~100 -120 bucks per month less on next lease (taking into account inflation, etc). This car has been a rock and I get a lot of positive comments and questions about it. Only recently have I started to have a few issues - sunroof rattles a bit both closed and open and just recently, passenger side window won’t work. Will ask both be addressed. Have considered extending lease by a month or two (haven’t inquired with Hyundai Finance if this is possible; is it?) and then seeing if Genesis leases turn more positive in Nov/Dec or another vehicle. Or just buy a good used vehicle - a lease turn in.

You can extend your lease up to 6 months. One month at a time.

It’s tempting to wait and buy a new ES300 or ES hybrid for the same price as a G80. Kind of boring to drive but it will have car play and a nice stereo and be rock solid and the dealer will be much better. That Roof rattle and window not working you describe is def a turn off.

The new Avalon looks real nice too. Comfort is more important to me a this stage. Boring and comfort go hand in hand. :+1:

I really want to see the new G70. Has been getting a lot of good reviews but i don’t imagine it will lease well.

1 Like

…and it won’t solve the dealership or reliability issues. (But it does look nice).

1 Like

Trust me about the the dealer issues. The service advisor took my car out, put 600 miles on it and did some damage. Bad dealer.

My older and much wiser dad keeps telling me - don’t underestimate the value of a good dealer network - get a Lexus!

Trust me, things can happen at any dealer. Employees go rogue. People make mistakes. I had an extremely reputable dealer not put the drain plug in well when doing an oil change. They took the car for a wash and noticed a trail of oil. They caught it, apologized and didn’t charge me for the oil change and tire rotation. Mistakes happen. I don’t trust anyone because of this reason