Husband unavailable, Zero Knowledge, Two Volvo leases to deal with, please help

feel free to call me tm at 732-779-2587. i’m post booster today so i’m out of it.

3 Likes

they won’t speak to me without me faxing them the POA and I haven’t been able to do that today

tomorrow, not today please.

gotcha, I misread your words, I’m sorry

also, I just checked mileage, his is 22K, mine is 4249

Just to echo a lot of what was already said:

• very sorry for your loss :broken_heart:
  • If @aronchi can help you, excellent. While he’s post-booster
  • You can login to VCFS and get the payoff for both Volvos through the website. If you end up calling, another question to ask is whether your husband applied Multiple Security Deposits (MSDs) - if so you should get those refunded after the car is sold/returned
  • You can also get quotes from the car buying services, as-if you have title in your hand, just to see what they are worth on open market (takes a few minutes).
  • Once you know how much equity you have, if any, you can decide (I trust Mike, but he also doesn’t know how your husband structured those deals).

You can also contact your Volvo dealers to see if they can buy your leases without a trade (probably not - they were restricted to only buy-out leases on trade, but worth asking).

Before you unload both vehicles, please consider if you still need 1 car, and if so wait to return the one with little/no equity. It’s a terrible terrible market to be car shopping, please don’t hand that over and then decide you need something “cheaper” - only to discover nothing is cheaper.

I’m glad you felt like you could post this question and trust strangers to help you sort this out. A lot of good people here who won’t take advantage and point you in the right direction.

Best wishes as you sort all of this out.

28 Likes

Contact the Volvo dealer- and ask them you want to sell the car to them. They bought my 2019 T6. I had like 7-8 payments left. After VFS got paid, I ended up with like $1900 paid to me. Dealer put it on the market the next day for 5k more than what they bought it from me. I don’t think you will profit much with Volvos. How many payments you have left on the T8 and what is the buyout price?

Wow that is a lot of helpful info and admittedly, a lot of wording I don’t understand but I will learn.
You are very kind and I appreciate you.

3 Likes

When? Volvo has made some policy changes regarding buy outs.

2 Likes

I felt like the Volvo customer service person was too eager and pushy so that would be my last resort I think. They’ve been great until now, maybe I just got two of their hardcore people on the phone today. Both cars were shipped in from other states for us. But now I get the greedy vibe.

I love love love this car and to answer the question above, yes I absolutely need a car but the payments are hefty and unrealistic. I’ll probably find an older Volvo that suits our new life better.

I don’t really feel comfortable sharing the dollar amounts but his lease will be up in the summer I think. I got mine for valentine’s day so it’s not even a year into the lease yet.

I called the dealer I bought the car from and took care of it. I called another Volvo dealership nearby and he said VFS doesn’t allow them to buy the cars. But the dealer I bought from had no problem. This was in later Aug early sept.

You want to talk to someone what works/handles inventory. At least that’s what this guy referred to himself. Others may just want to try to sell you another one. Good luck- sorry to hear you going through a lot right now.

Another option is to find a local or relatively local Volvo dealer that is independently owned and has been around forever. Then ask to speak with the owner or general manager, explain the situation, gauge their level of empathy, and let them sort through it with you.

You may leave some money on the table but not as much as if you speak with a random salesperson at the dealer, who may either try to rip you off and/or not fully understand the best way to handle it.

I’d leave those details out completely, at least to start. That would just fly a big red flag that says “I’m desperate”. Regardless of someone’s personal situation, a dealer is only going to offer the lowest amount of money that they think they will take. Being in a situation where it seems that you NEED to unload the cars means that offer is going to be low if the dealer knows about it. If the people like @aronchi who have offered to help can’t make it work because of title issues, etc, it’s probably best to approach it as if you MIGHT be willing to sell the cars to a particular dealer, if the price is right.

1 Like

This is painting with a really broad brush.

My father retired and sold his dealership 6 or 7 years ago, but I recall more than one occasion when he was in business where he put someone in need’s car on the lot, advertised it as if it was any other inventory, sold it, and took no cut.

There are decent people in the world.

11 Likes

There is always the exception…I got a great deal from Kia one year and from the exact same dealership / dealer I got the absolute shaft of a deal a couple years later.

But from the the tone of the OP, she’s looking for help and a broker is just what she needs.

2 Likes

You’re absolutely right about that but I would just caution against assuming that until you feel them out. At the end of the day business is business so I’m not even totally faulting a dealer who would lowball someone that they know is in a bind. From what I can gain from what the OP has written so far they have found themselves in an unfortunate situation where they need or want to maximize whatever equity might be in those two cars. Tipping their hand, be it to a dealer or a private buyer would reduce the chances of maximizing their return.

1 Like

For sure, but let’s look at the odds. Someone in the OP’s situation is more likely to find a snake than someone like your dad.

5 Likes

Unfortunately, I would definitely have to side with you…

Nothing to add to help, but this thread is a great example of how the LH community comes together to help someone out. A lot of great people on here.

2 Likes