How to tell Aged inventory

I live in Texas, but I think this is an everywhere applicable question:

Is there any way to determine a dealer’s inventory age other than just making a spreadsheet and checking it every few days?

If you can find the car on Cargurus there’s a negotiation section that tells you how long it’s been on the lot for.

3 Likes

Normal aged inventory rules are off the table these days.

If it’s on the lot, it’s valuable.

3 Likes

I don’t like your answer, but I can see that it’s probably true.

1 Like

Just being honest about the current market! Trust me, I don’t like it anymore than you do!

8 Likes

Don’t worry, I’m here for the truth. You don’t always like the truth.

1 Like

Here’s a new 2020 Honda Insight I was looking at. The Negotiation section referred by @ChosenRonin looks like:

1 Like

It’s probably worse than that.

If a dealer had some aged inventory sitting on their lot in this market, I’d take that as a gigantic red flag that there is either something seriously wrong with the car or the dealer.

4 Likes

So I should take a pass on this new Plymouth Prowler?

4 Likes

Look in the door jam for the production date…that will give you an educated guess how long the vehicle has been in stock…I was looking at a in-stock Toyota Supra last week…the production date in the door jamb was 07/2020… so it been sitting in stock at the dealership for at least 8 months… that’s old inventory!!!

I never buy car without checking the production date…if it’s been sitting on the lot for too long it will get “lot rot”…

2 Likes

Aren’t those built in Japan? In which case it spent the rest of summer on a boat.

They’re actually made in Austria…

The platform and drivetrain is BMW sourced…

It only takes 10 to 20 days on the water…

35 to 40 days from factory to dealership…,

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.