How to talk to dealers

I have experienced the same recently. They are reluctant to give too many numbers via email alone. They specifically told me so over the phone that they prefer people coming in. I think if dealerships don’t improve their online sales game, they’ll eventually get left behind due to their ancient methods.

Anyway, as others have said, you should first do your research, structure the lease how you want it, then contact them. If they don’t want to make a deal that’s fine, you walk away. If you do your research and know exactly what you want, it won’t matter if you go in person or do it over the phone/email.

I start with ONE email to ONE dealership- with the numbers broken down, for the car I want, as a means to demonstrate that I have done my “homework” and this could be a quick sale for the dealership. If the offer is not accepted, I am professional, and thank them for their consideration- as there is no reason to be rude or upset.

I don’t mind any rejections, as it helps me to learn + get a feel for the market. And the dealers that want me to negotiate/come up higher often ask “how did I come up with my numbers?”…followed up by “I will NEVER get the car at that price.” I am always up for the challenge!

Most dealers will work with you but that’s only sales managers. Salesmen will always laugh off your LH quotes. Happens a lot of the time. I would ask to speak to the manager if salesman brushes you off. It is annoying but that’s why we have brokers here if all hope is lost!

^^^This.

I now have sales manager contacts at three local Subaru Dealerships now as well as a SM at a local Hyundai, Kia and Chevy dealership. I figure out EXACTLY what I want, then reach out to them–now via phone, except for the SM at Hyundai, Kia Chevy place that clearly prefers email

In my last deal, I test drove the car only after I had a deal ready to sign–wasnt planned that way, just worked out that way.

The only time I talk to salesperson first is when I am not sure what I want (pre covid, anyway) and I need someone to set me up to test drive something.

2 Likes

Agree 100%. I had to change up my mentality from when I was a rookie. Have to remember that their time is truly money. Just like they are trying to reel you in and get you there in person and get you attached to the vehicle in their domain, I am also reeling them in for a sale. It is in everyones best interest to end that engagement with a done deal. Not being afraid to walk away is key.

Do you just call and ask to speak with the sales manager right away?

Thank you all for great tip. It really comfort me knowing that I am not the only one feeling this!

In about half the cases, my initial contact actually was through a salesperson. In one case, that salesperson become the sales manager. In another, when I was ready to lease again, I reached out to the sales manager directly. In a third case, I got the sales manager’s information off an official make/model enthusiast forum.

If I am reaching out to a new dealership that I have no contact with prior, I do everything I can to find the sales manager’s direct info before calling and asking to be connected–its 50/50 on actually getting through at that point

Email me what car you want and whether it is a lease or purchase. I will send you some questions so I can structure something. I provide numbers over the phone in a 3-minute call. If you asked for my best price don’t ask for a better best price. Doneski.

1 Like

but… what is your best price

1 Like

WhAt Is YoUr BEst PrIcE?

2 Likes

Look, I’m trying to be respectful of your time, what is the best price you can do on any of your Accords? I’ve got 9k and looking to be under 500 a month.

10 Likes

On LX? We are all over the deal! What time can you be here?

those jokes will never get old

3 Likes

I know, right?

I’m looking for the fuel economy and leather trimmings on a hybrid. I won’t be a penny over 449 a month. Throw in some all weather mats to sweeten the deal.

1 Like

You are unicorn hunting my man!

1 Like

Typical Salesperson: Just come here
(When they get here)
Typical Salesperson: Well, it’s now $579 a month
(Walks out)

1 Like

What’s your best price ? Me: For Whom :slight_smile: