How to Get Actual Quotes Out of Dealers

I don’t view it like that. It lets them know you’re serious.

If you go in educated on you cars worth , if trading in, and what you should pay for the new car, you have all the leverage in the world.

Pressure to run your credit? They can’t do that without you filling out a long ass application. That’s all remedied by saying “no”. I have no feelings or emotions with dealers. I have to live with the payment and in 3 months that salesperson won’t even know my name.

I never feel pressure at all in person because I’m an educated buyer.

I walk away from cars to get a call 45 seconds down the road. I’ve also walked away from cars and never heard from them again. The latter is way in the minority, however.

The last time I leased it took a month of calling and emailing and visiting, and ultimately taking delivery from a far away dealer. It was exhausting, and while I did get a good price I wasn’t a fan of the process. Still, I’d rather have the lower price.

Here’s a question: I’m finding that if I open with the bro1999 approach, in that I lay all the numbers out, they either ignore me or proceed to quote a high price and say that’s what they can do (BMW). I think because it’s a lease they see the low price I’m at and just outright ignore it.

To the question: if I’ve done this at one dealership that has what I want, and I’m getting nowhere with one salesperson, do I just call or email a different salesperson? Or am I in the system as having already made contact, and should I have someone else do it? And should I instead be asking for a purchase price before incentives, and then telling them the price is great, let’s do it as a lease instead?

They will already have you in the system. The person who approves the deal is the manager so changing the sales person likely won’t help.
Dont start by saying finance because incentives for finance and lease can be different.

On the unit I’m looking at the incentives are the same for lease or finance. In that case, should I be starting off saying I want to purchase?

If you want to lease then just say lease. If the incentives are the same then there is no reason for him to give different prices for lease vs finance.

1 Like