How to get a Tesla Model 3/Y/S FAST

TLDR; Tesla trickles inventory on their website throughout the day and if you happen to be in the right place at the right time, you may be able to get a Tesla ordered & picked up within days or weeks vs waiting for months on it.

LeaseHackr fam - I wanted to share some tips & a small Discord community that we have built that might help you get a Tesla ordered faster than ordering it through conventional ways.

Back story - I took part in the 4XE deal to replace my vehicle. However, it took over 3 months and I still do not have it (although the end is finally here). In the meantime, we changed our minds and ended up ordering a Tesla. That too was taking a while - we waited a month on our custom order vehicle and the “estimated delivery date” kept on pushing back.

From the TMC forums, I learned that people were refreshing the inventory page on Tesla’s website and ordering a vehicle directly through that. I tried that for a couple of days and had no success with it. I then open-sourced and built a program that checks Tesla’s API’s (the stuff that powers the website data) every few seconds and as soon as an inventory is found, it notifies us via a Discord notification. From there, it’s free game - anyone can click on the link which takes them to Tesla’s website and then you can place your order.

If the vehicle is at location, you can pick it up same day or in a few days. If it’s in transit, it may take a week or two. If the vehicle is in production (yes, they list in-production vehicles), it may take 2-3 weeks.

So, here’s the how to:

1. Find out what specifications you want your Tesla to be

2. You have two options - one to do it on your own and another to get notifications as soon as a listing goes live:

• Option 1: Go to New & Used Electric Cars | Tesla and set up auto-refresh using a browser extension(or manually refresh every 15-30 seconds.

• Option 2: Join our Discord Server (link in the following post – will remove it if LeaseHackr prohibits such a thing)

3. As soon as a vehicle is found, make sure it is your exact specification or one you can live with. Check the location of the vehicle as well.

• Please note that additional transport fees will apply for vehicles more than 100 miles from your location. (0 - 100 miles = Free, 100 to 600 miles = $500, and it goes up to $2000)

• Update: Tesla has stopped allowing vehicles to be transported from one center to another. This may be due to truck shortages or end of quarter push where they do not want vehicles to be stuck in transit. This means that order a vehicle only if you feel like you are okay to pick it up from that location - even if it is in another state.

4. Click on the vehicle link/listing and order your Tesla asap - every second counts.

• Apple Pay is preferred - use Safari OR use AutoFill from your browser.

• Vehicles can go within seconds, so if it didn’t work out this time, try again later.

5. After your order goes through, you will have up until the minute you pick up your vehicle to pay for your vehicle. You will have to choose how you will pay for your vehicle - cash, Tesla Finance, outside financing or Lease. They will also ask you to fill in your Registration information. Your downpayment, if any, can be paid up until the last minute prior to delivery.

For Finance, you can choose to go with Tesla Finance who offers a 2.49% rate from one of the major banks - who it could be seems like a game of roulette. If you want an even better rate, DCU offers a 1.49% APR (requires a checking account with direct deposit for 0.50% discount). Tesla even offers a Rate Match guarantee, but for DCU, you must apply with them first or have their name on the MVPA.

That’s basically the gist of it. I was able to order mine within 2 days of starting this notification service and getting my Tesla in just a week after being transported from across the state. We even had someone who was able to pick up theirs within 6 hours of ordering. We currently monitor most states in the US and all of Canada. It’s only been alive for a month and we have helped over 100 people get a Tesla so far. There is no cost associated with it and the community is great. In fact, we have even helped at least one LeaseHackr member get a Tesla as well.

Since this is LeaseHackr and most of you may be interested in just a lease, I’d highly recommend that you look up lease specifics for Tesla. They do not offer your the ability to buy back your vehicle at the end of the term, however, they do allow you to sell it to a third-party at the end of it. If you go the leasing route, I’d highly recommend selling it to a dealer instead of turning it in towards the end of your lease term.

If you are in the market for a Tesla, good luck!

18 Likes

Here’s the Discord link where you can get notified when Tesla releases an inventory vehicle. Attached is an image of what a notification could look like. We get all of the information from Tesla - some that they do not display on their website - factory build date, etc.

I wonder if this holds true for model S as well? Completely out of the blue last night I went on the Tesla website to configure a Plaid just for fun. While I was there…pooof… an in stock one showed up locally. Needless to say it’s gone now.

1 Like

It applies to Model S as well. I haven’t seen any Model X’s drop since they are not being produced right now, but once it starts, they can be ordered the same way as well.

And maybe the Cybertruck one day, haha!

Best time to look out for is around 11:18am EST but it happens all throughout the day at random intervals.

1 Like

IF only it would just auto order it for me too… :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Great post, thanks for the tips. It’s a bit sad to me that ordering a car is like trying to get a PlayStation 5 now but oh well.

3 Likes

It technically could but you gotta give everyone a fair chance :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Fair HAHA :stuck_out_tongue:

Crazy times we live in, right?!

thanks for sharing! how do we make the page auto-refresh?

You could use a Chrome extension like this - Auto Refresh Plus | Page Monitor - Chrome Web Store

My area has 5 Plaids, if you want to buy them :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Shipping isn’t available as of last Saturday because Tesla wants to roll as many as possible for quarter-end reporting

Just ordered 2 LETS GOO

7 Likes

for real?! Nicely done :raised_hands:t4:

1 Like

We have experienced Tesla declining to move vehicle from one province to another in Canada but no reports of that in the US so far. Some reports of in-production vehicles not getting the OK to be released and some transit issues, but nothing major so far. I’ll keep an eye out!

My wife ordered a Model 3 LR less than a week ago, 9/8/21. Our order updated over the weekend to delivery anticipated 9/24/21. We know that number is not etched in stone, but it was originally scheduled for December.

2 Likes

My model 3 performance time frame changed from 9/19 to 9/30. Don’t really need it ASAP. But it’s always nice not to wait for the new toy

1 Like

My 2 deliveries are 9/23 and 9/23…. Till then I’m walking

5 Likes