Tesla Ordering Tips - And Most Other Reasonable Things Tesla

Im talking of about efficiency from a physics perspective and you are talking about whats counts…the WALLET!

1 Like

You’re being reasonable about this but plenty of folks are not and act like EVs save tons of money or are more efficient when they just often aren’t. I don’t know what more efficient in a physics sense means. This car is requiring more energy input than an ICE would require. It’s a net loss relative to ICE.

MPGe is a garbage stat as this shows.

It means the ratio of actual work done to the heat provided. This is neither here nor there for the practical discussion, but an ICE is horrifically inefficient under all circumstances. The fact that gasoline is relatively energy dense and cheap means we dont care that much!

See the above…the EV probably isnt requiring more actual energy input, but it doesnt matter to our pocketbooks.

1 Like

IMO, MPG itself is garbage. But, its historically the norm so we all know what it means. Normally, an efficiency metric would not reference a volume of “something”, but buried in this volume is a known amount of potential energy…which is known but converted into a gallonage for us consumer folk to relate to it.

1 Like

The economics of an EV in northern climates, especially places with electricity around 20 cents a kilowatt hour aren’t compelling. But they also aren’t terrible. Even in a place with expensive electricity like where my parents live (22 cents a KwH) that drive only costs $5, assuming no time of use discount for overnight charging. Driving a similarity sized gas powered SUV at those speeds and at that temperature, you are probably using 1.5 gallons of gas minimum. So getting to about the same price even with this being about the worse environment for an EV.

But time of use charging in Northern climates should be able to help with at least the economics, if not the range lost, since electricity use goes way down in the winter with most people heating their homes with natural gas or oil. Plenty of places already offer cheaper
TOU EV charging in general and especially discounted rates off peak in the winter.

1 Like

It’s worth remembering that tesla uses the 5 cycle epa test, which is different than what most every other brand does.

2 Likes

Tesla has provided internal guidance suggesting that the M3RWD (at least) is going to loose the $7500 incentive when the revised IRS guidelines are released. I think the window on the lease offer for this model is shrinking…

I believe section(45) under which makes lease credit passthrough available, doesn’t have any sourcing minimums, manufacturer origin, msrp caps or income limits.

It could go away for purchases, from section(30). Many of EV’s will most likely lose it as well.

1 Like

Tesla isn’t directly passing the tax credit through on leases, it has been an ongoing assumption that they inflated the M3RWD RV because it was somehow tied to the tax credit. All I am saying, is if I was leasing an M3RWD, I would be working on delivery prior to end of month. Any other models no longer need to be rushed.

You bring up a good point on lease versus purchase.

Tesla could end any incentives to lease their vehicle anytime, but there is no reason for Tesla to stop inflating the residual due to the guidance for section 30. When/If guidance is finally released, it won’t effect section 40 and leasing. Tesla will continue to collect $7500 per leased vehicle due to section 40. It is up to Tesla whether they want to pass that onto their customers via inflated residual or passthrough. That goes for all brands leasing EV’s. That article really only pertains to people purchasing.

1 Like

I was planning on buying the M3RWD by May. I can’t do it sooner than that. Hopefully, the 7.5k federal rebate remains for the car otherwise, I would have to lease it.

1 Like

they wanted to shut you up :joy:

again what car gets new features when you already took delivery?

4 Likes

I definitely love the overall Tesla experience, but it is hard to imagine any other manufacturer releasing cars with hardware that does not have software to match :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s 11:21 PM in Florida, and I’m exhausted, but I just may stay up till midnight for the installation to complete so I can go test this out🤭

2 Likes

Lower your deductible first.

No updates available for me. :frowning:

1 Like

Ha Ha Smile GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

1 Like

Reverse No Way Out GIF

1 Like

7 Likes

I can confirm it also makes the usual and expected bing bing bing, dong dong dong type noises when getting close to something. It also works going forward as well.