Tesla Ordering Tips - And Most Other Reasonable Things Tesla

Thank you for posting data like this. I know a lot of us find it very interesting.

4 Likes

You can check here if you qualify for the full $7500
As for lease vs purchase, if you can get the federal tax return $7500 itā€™s a no brainer to purchase it and claim in 2024 on top of the full CVRP $7500 (if you qualify)
Imagine if CVAP is also available thatā€™s another $5000 as a grant so a Tesla M3 for dirt cheap :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

https://cleanvehiclerebate.org/en/savings-calculator#edit-incentives

1 Like

You want park assist?

Fine, itā€™s $199/mo and comes w/ free FSD.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1622356008373813250

1 Like

Iā€™ll be honest, I have been a big fan of this car as and I have truly enjoyed it for the three months weā€™ve had it. But having to pay $199 a month for something that comes on an econobox is ridiculousšŸ˜¢

2 Likes

The park assist will be available to all cars even without purchasing FSD. Its only the release of this update that is only going to FSD beta subscribers.

1 Like

Do you have any confirmation of this?

I have not seen in any place that this feature has become a part of the FSD package. Only that it has been included in part of an update that is being pushed to FSD users. Being as every car had this park assist prior to removal of the sensors, I wouldnā€™t think that would change.

According to @greentheonly, the new Park Assist system is currently only available to customers in the United States and Canada who have purchased FSD and applied for access to the FSD Beta program. It is also currently limited to the Model 3 and Model Y.

I hope you are rightā€¦ Will be a nice bump for values.

FSD only worth $750 per accutrade tho.

4 Likes

I donā€™t recall on which thread I read that the MY range is lower than stated, like 50 miles? Is the M3 the same way? Driving 65 to 75 mph on the freeway, will drop range substantially? Iā€™m asking in socal weather where the low is 60 degrees.

The car is built and designed in CA and TX for CA and TX-like environments.

Best (and worst) numbers Iā€™ve seen range wise have also been in the same locales.

1 Like

So driving aggressively is the main factor of loss of range? Iā€™m just curious what Tesla owners average for range.

Thereā€™s several factors including road surface (friction), elevation change, and weather that can massively affect range.

2 Likes

I got my M3 RWD in Feb this year. Have done a few road trips. Here is what I have found.

Local trips (<30 miles): Available range drops by about 10% more than the actual miles driven. Stop and go traffic helps getting closer to the range shown on the dashboard.

Highway trips: Available range drops by about 10-20% more than the actual miles driven, based on how its driven.

In Florida. Nice weather. Flat roads.

Navigating to a supercharger kicks in preconditioning, which obviously eats up some charge. I hoped that for Florida weather, it wonā€™t need a lot of heating, but it does. Also, when I get back on the road after charging at supercharger, I hear some buzzing for some time. Is the battery pack being cooled down now?? That would eat up some charge as well. This may be known but I have not searched for this yet on the internet.

1 Like

I started doing a semi-scientific test at various speeds on a very flat road (a causeway that crossed Tampa Bay so its long and flat except for the bridge in the middle) but didnt finish it. I seem to recall the car being in the 195 Wh/mi range at 55 mph. This would equate to something around ~5 mi/kWh, which I think is reasonable for that speed. Assuming that the online estimates are accurate (and ~57 kWh of battery is useable), this means under these conditions range would be ~285 miles (or slightly above the EPA rating of 272).

As this conditions were nearly ideal (little need for heat or AC, moderate speeds, etc), its easy to see that the range on the highway if one drives alot faster will drop notably. I think I recall seeing something around 220 Wh/mi at 65 mph?

2 Likes

How bad can it get?

Pretty bad.

1 Like

It funny how it shows the cost savings in terms of rated miles even tho Iā€™m sure an ICE would not have similar inefficiency to drive the same distance and thus the true cost would be far less.

Cabin heat is the killer!

An ICE has so much inefficiencyā€¦there is more heat than we know what to do with (hence radiators are in place). At best, an ICE is 35% efficient (in a road carā€¦I understand some F1 engines have been able to get closer to upper 40s%).

For an EV, there is so little inefficiency that be used for something useful (aka cabin heat), that its gonna cost ya :frowning:

1 Like

Well those calculations imply an ICE would use nearly 3 gallons of gas to drive those miles so not sure one can argue that drive was more efficient. Especially assuming it was mainly highway driving given speed. Tons of cars would be able to do that on nearly 1 gallon of gas.

1 Like

The ICE would still be much less efficient from an energy perspective, but the free waste heat could be better utilized.

The 58 mpge is atrocious for an EV, but there would not be any ICE that could approach that at these speeds.

As for how they are getting a gas savings of $8.41 for a 39 mile driveā€¦thats some magic math right there, LOL.

2 Likes