Tesla Ordering Tips - And Most Other Reasonable Things Tesla

Adam Sandler appears to agree with you.

Adam Sandler Head Nod GIF

1 Like

It isn’t, it’s all virtue signaling but people will still buy what’s most functional and convenient.

The ones that don’t will put up with the quirks that come with owning a CCS car for a time until they encounter an EA station or two that’s totally down and they have to overnight at an outlet mall with L2 charging.

That being said, there’s plenty of reasons not to buy a Tesla like the often long waits for service requests and lack of loaners. Often this is the biggest complaint I hear from people coming back to BMW and Audi.

1 Like

This is the whole point… there was a shit load of people who virtue signalled buying a Tesla!

It’s now flip reversed. It will 100% hit their sales

These people will now just buy a BMW or Audi instead. It’s much better to be seen in a gas guzzler than a MAGA hat round these parts

And some actual proper data points - Is Elon Musk Hurting Tesla? Brand Charm Hits New Low On Heels Of Twitter Takeover - Tesla (NASDAQ:TSLA) - Benzinga

The main reason why we bought Tesla’s.

Tesla Solar = cheapest & the easiest to order/install

Model 3/Y = charging infrastructure, decent range and ota updates

At the end of the day, it’s just a vehicle. As a consumer, we buy crap from so many people and give money to a ton more that we may not necessarily agree with. My needs and what I get out of it will always come first.

4 Likes

Not to jinx myself, I haven’t had to take any for service yet. Regular maintenance is few and far between but I totally hear ya when you need to get warranty work done. The customer service experience you get from these traditional luxury dealers will always trump Tesla’s.

We allegedly had someone’s new Model S get delivered to a supercharger spot instead of their driveway and then almost got towed out of it because it was sitting there since the new owner had no clue where it was dropped off.

1 Like

Agree. People who initially embrace Tesla due to environment and liberal views are the ones dumping that brand name and jumping on other band wagons like etron , i4, Xe…
That Twitter thing really messed Tesla.
I buy what make sense , gas prices are down now but will go up anytime on any news from Russia or Mideast. Two people in my household warned me they dont want Tesla in the house. So I just walkaway. I am sure better options are available and once the supply chain recovers with attractive deals then Tesla will feel the real pain. Train has already left the station…

1 Like

Tesla has an edge in that their actual profit margins will allow for them to beat the snot out of just about every other BEV manufacturer and IRA mfg, sourcing and even the income requirements will end up upholding that even longer.

They can keep cutting off the top as necessary. Something that the startups who are already drowning, and legacy manufacturers nary can acquiesce to — War of attrition.

3 Likes

Tesla has more capability than the majors to survive a price war in the name of marketshare? I would have thought that once Audi, BMW, GM, FCA, Ford, Honda, etc really take off in EV offerings, Tesla will have a hard time staying up there in marketshare. If not, that’s some amazing staying power.

All of the above have been incrementally raising their prices same as Tesla. Ford especially has been especially egregious about it with a huge jump post-IRA.

With Tesla building a new giga in Mexico and aggressively expanding the supercharger network it’s highly likely there is a new budget model inbound.

That’s not to say other manufacturers don’t have a place: Absolutely they do but that’ll take time. — Time that Tesla is already taking advantage of and leapfrogging.

2 Likes

Cybertruck been a big miss though. Any news on when that’s due?

Ford was set to raise prices April 2022 around $4K to $5K (Premium $3K plus $2K for ER battery) so it wasn’t due to IRA.

But rescinded because orders had closed anyhow. Regardless, a $67K Mach-E Premium even with tax credit is overpriced and I suspect there will be incentives in mid/late 2023 when the wave of converted 2022 orders clears out.

The same has happened with Tesla… many owners paid $7K to $14K less than current prices due to old orders. New prices are just insane for the quality of car you get.

Didn’t they raise the price of the pickup by like $8,500 in one shot?

$9K increase for Premium but $5K was already planned for post April deliveries (abandoned orders) and then they announced they still were losing money and also started deleting features like parking assist. I think Ford was thinking of inflation continuing into late 2023 and overpriced new MY2023 orders because it takes them 12 months to build and deliver a car it seems lol.

Nissan bumped prices by almost $2K for the yet delivered Ariya and Hyundai/Kia bumped their EVs $2K ish also… so yeah Ford is one of the worst offenders.

1 Like

So that’s kind of what I’m saying though.

If the margins are so thin for Ford that a 10-15% increase in one go is required for them to at least break even then they don’t stand a chance against Tesla’s reported 30%+ margin as the latter can just keep undercutting and gutting demand for the former.

It may be safe to say we’re in for a race to the bottom or at least price stabilization with rates staying high.

5 Likes

Lightning base model just got a third price increase. The Pro model is now $16,000 more than launch price, msrp now $56k + $1,895 dest fee.

1 Like

EA is so bad, units are always out of service. What I heard EA didn’t service down units because they were just waiting to rollout new hardware(why waste repairing units they intended to replace). I seen a certain charger down in my area for over 6 months. EA have been upgrading their stations with new BTC Power units they co-developed and they are getting bad reviews. Even bricking some vehicles, due to dumping more kw than the vehicle is asking for. Worst part is they are the leading CCS network in US by a large margin.

How do we know that it’s required and not just driven by some (off base) market analysis/greed?

You go to https://waitingfortesla.com and pick one up :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

Middle of this year Ford CFO said they were now losing money on each Mach E sold due to inflated production costs. Mainly down to rising price of battery materials cost. CFO didn’t say how much money Ford was losing on each Mach-E, but he said costs for each unit had increased $25,000. This also explains the Lightning getting price increase of $16,000 over it’s launch price. Their ICE sales are driving profits.

1 Like

I’m curious how come no other EV maker has complained about these costs as an way to increase the price?