HOW TO GET A GOOD WRANGLER 4XE Deal; Buckle up for a LONG read! (Part 2)

HV was basically JUST started in production. There are orders from October and November that have had no movement. You couldn’t even remotely speculate on HV at early in the game.

Let’s be very clear with our terms.

There is an actual “Sign and Drive” offer, where there is a mf increase in exchange for an incentive that covers the first month’s payment.

One can also do a $0 das lease where the first month’s payment (and any non-capitalized fees/taxes) is paid by the $7500 incentive.

In either case, you would be $0 cash out of pocket at delivery, but these are two different things contractually.

3 Likes

And there are people that get them built in a month. Just wondering if anyone on here that ordered HV has had any movement.

Does this mean you are aware of any being built?

I have seen one non-4xe in HV be built

2 Likes

Anyone know a good site to check to see if your jeep has been registered with the state?

There’s been discussion here before regarding FORM and how the 4xe behaves. Jeep posted up some more clarifying information in a couple of the community groups today. Wanted to pass it on for those that haven’t seen:

https://www.4xeforums.com/threads/fuel-and-oil-refresh-mode.210/page-26#post-30610

Further information on the operation of Fuel Oil Refresh Mode (FORM) in the Wrangler 4xe

What is FORM?

Some customers have commented about repeated or extended incidents of Fuel Oil Refresh Mode (FORM) during the winter season. If this is the first time you’re hearing about FORM, please refer first to the owner’s manual information: https://msmownerassets.z13.web.core…ler_4xe/P125757_21_JL_H_SU_EN_USC_DIGITAL.pdf

The purpose of this message is to better communicate how the oil dilution portion of FORM works, why some people see it frequently but others don’t, and how to get Electric drive mode back. We won’t discuss the stale fuel or spark maintenance portions of FORM here, because they are more straightforward and not seasonal in nature.

What is happening in the engine?

Oil dilution FORM exists to reduce the possibility of engine damage caused by contaminants diluted in the engine oil. The contaminant of primary concern is gasoline, since it’s continually injected directly into the combustion chamber while running. Although the 2.0-liter turbo 4-cylinder engine in the Wrangler 4xe is manufactured to precise tolerances, piston-ring-to-cylinder-bore sealing varies with engine operating temperature. Sealing is optimized for normal operating temperature. It’s normal for some gasoline to make its way past the piston rings when the engine is cold. When the engine becomes warm, the piston rings expand and seal more tightly. Gasoline evaporates out of the hot engine oil, is routed through the Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) system, and is ultimately used to make power.

Is the Wrangler 4xe different from other vehicles?

Oil dilution happens in all internal combustion engines. In conventional vehicles, trips of moderate length are enough to resolve the condition. This is why ICE vehicle owners’ manuals recommend frequent oil changes in vehicles used for short trips. In Plug-in Hybrid vehicles, some use cases lead to many cold engine startups but little or no engine operation at normal temperature. One example is a customer who uses their Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle (PHEV) just like a Battery Electric Vehicle (BEV), except for 0 - 15 minutes’ duration ICE operation during most drive cycles. This short engine operation might come during remote start to warm the cabin, or a short high-speed portion of an otherwise all-electric commute. With that type of usage, especially while the outdoor temperature is cold, it’s possible for 100% of engine runtime to occur with the engine well below normal operating temperature. Gasoline dilutes into the oil whenever the engine runs, but never evaporates out again. Over time, the contamination level grows.

You won’t see features like FORM in BEV’s or HEV’s, because they’re not subject to this use case. But in PHEVs from other manufacturers, you’ll see warnings like “Low Engine Use Mode,” “Maintaining Hybrid mode to protect engine,” or “Engine Maintenance Mode,” which all do the same thing as FORM.

How does the vehicle “know” about dilution? What does it do about it?

It’s not practical to directly measure the proportion of gasoline diluted in the oil of a running engine. Before the launch of the Wrangler 4xe, Stellantis engineers built a model which accurately predicts the rate of dilution and evaporation inside the engine. This model runs at all times in the Wrangler’s computers, and is based mainly on engine oil temperature, engine load and engine runtime. This is why it’s important never to reset your Oil Life Indicator, if you have not changed the oil. To do that would introduce a large error in the modeled vs. actual dilution, and increase the probability of engine damage. Wrangler 4xe owners who encounter dilution FORM have commented that their engine oil smells like gasoline. This indicates that the dilution model is correctly identifying and mitigating a potentially damaging situation.

Dilution FORM in the Wrangler 4xe behaves differently, depending on modeled dilution level.

· Step 0: Normal Operation: Below a bottom threshold, vehicle operation is normal.

· Step 1: Moderate fuel dilution: Between the bottom and middle thresholds, silent start allows electric operation during a drive until the first ICE start. After that, you’ll see the FORM message and the ICE will continue running until you shut the car off.

· Step 2: More fuel dilution: Between the middle and top thresholds, EV operation is not allowed. The ICE will start when you power up the vehicle and remain running until you shut down, or the bottom threshold is reached, whichever comes first.

· Step 3: More fuel dilution: Above the top threshold, EV operation is not allowed, and the vehicle will instruct you to perform an oil change.

Depending on outside temperature and how the vehicle is being operated, it could climb or descend this ladder. Based on thorough review of feedback from dealership service departments, directly from customers through Jeep Wave, and from social media postings this winter, Jeep believes some Wrangler 4xe customers’ engines are rarely warming fully to operating temperature. For this reason, oil dilution is staying between the bottom and middle thresholds (“Step 1”) for extended periods of time in some vehicles operating in cold climates. The user’s experience is therefore similar to frequently leaving and re-entering dilution FORM. Some customers may also be experiencing extended periods in “Step 2.” Jeep Engineering and Jeep Wave are not aware of any cases where FORM is acting differently than designed, or where an unrelated hardware issue is exacerbating FORM duration or frequency.

How can I get Electric mode back?

The use case which leads to this level of dilution can vary, but the path to resolution is always the same:

· Start the engine and allow engine oil to reach normal operating temperature. 169°F (76°C) is the minimum, but normal operating temperature is above 194°F (90°C). Elevated speed and load will warm the engine oil most quickly.

· Continue running the engine until FORM is no longer shown in the Message Center of the instrument cluster. Depending on the dilution level, oil temperature and outside temp, this can take from 20 minutes to 2.5 hours.

· In case the above steps are not possible, change the engine oil and reset the oil life indicator.

· Never reset the oil life indicator without changing the engine oil.

It’s possible that some use cases lead to a lot of dilution and not enough evaporation to compensate. In this case FORM will return as long as the weather remains cold. We have high confidence that these frustrations will be resolved when the weather becomes warmer.

14 Likes

And this is why you lease :wink:

4 Likes

Or at least go into the vehicle understanding what you’re getting into. Unfortunately, a lot of the issue here comes from poorly educated dealers giving bad information and people expecting a wrangler to behave like a Prius.

2 Likes

For sure.

We have high confidence that these frustrations will be resolved when the weather becomes warmer.

And then it will become a problem next winter…Not great for folks in a colder climate. As someone in the upper midwest, this is not ideal for me. I don’t commute daily so my trips are usually short errands and that would be my main use case for electric. If it’s only going to work half the year that really kills the savings.

Part of the issue there is that all PHEV/EVs suffer, to varying degrees, in really cold weather.

The rav4 prime, for example, won’t run on an electric only any time you turn on the defroster.

If you find yourself with a 4xe in really cold weather having issues with this, get a cold weather grill cover. Seems to almost universally address the problem because it lets the oil actually get up to temp.

2 Likes

The fine print says towards the" purchase or lease of an eligible vehicle." Not sure if the 4xe is excluded. Will have to show dealer and ask if they can apply.

If they can apply it would it make sense to use the codes on the 4xe flip, then do one-pay? Or save the codes on the 4xe I intend on keeping?

I assumed using the codes on the 4xe flip would garnered a bigger net profit?

I would use it on the one you’re holding longer. The lower adjusted cap cost would reduce your rent charge, which would never be realized on a flip.

With that said, we’re probably talking about a difference of $100 or so

1 Like

Called CCAP today to ask about reason for denial and they said they’re showing that my credit app from Chapman was approved. Chapman insists CCAP has denied my credit app / won’t issue me credit, and insists on me submitting a co-signer.

Now I’m really confused…

5 Likes

Had a friend that had a similar experience with them, playing with the approval, co signer’s etc. Most likely you can consider the vehicle lost to their inventory lol

Said CCAP raised a red flag when my W2 didn’t align with my income… well yes, I changed jobs in November lol

Over $4.4k of rent charge. This is a thievery LOL unless this unit will be flipped at no time…

Just got back from a lunch time walk downtown. I can now say I regret not talking my friend into the SOT option. I saw about 3 of them in 2 mile walk. Wonder if I can convince her to reorder and flip the first one :thinking::joy:

4 Likes

I’m sitting at a ford dealership who offered the most to buy out my 4XE and they are telling me that a non jeep dealer CANNOT buy out a jeep lease… any truth to this?

They’re wrong

CCAP does allow 3rd party buyouts. They are likely mistaken or it could be that dealership’s policy.

1 Like