How to Escape the Coming Car Rental Apocalypse

Yeah, I’ve got a trip to Wyoming this summer. It’s a pretty long drive, but given the rental car quotes, I think we’ll end up going that way. Sad when I have plenty of miles to get the flights for free!

I have to cancel last summer’s trip to Hawaii but I already paid for airfare, if I have to go, probably Oahu is the logical choice.

Not sure where this happened…but wow

It gets better and better

• Ignores Crash Bar
  • Ignores Sprinkler Bar
  • Tries to turn instead of going in reverse
  • Ignores the roof hitting the beam
  • Friend gets out and didn’t look up , looks down.
  • Eventually says ‘f-it’ and guns it forward.
6 Likes

Anyone use Audi’s Silvercar rental program? I have 7 free days to burn.

and this why as a general rule I try to stay as far away from uhaul trucks on the road as possible.

I have previously. They were a wonderful option when they were in airports. With covid, they consolidated so they’re only located at select Audi dealers now. Useful if you have an e-tron, are going on a week long trip, want a gas car, and are local to one of those dealers. Not so much for anything else.

2 Likes

If you do Oahu- I will suggest NOT to rent a car at all but just for a couple of days only-as you don’t really need it the whole time and save $30-$50/day parking at hotels…but if you do-Enterprise Ahua Mapunapuna at 609 Ahua St has the cheapest rates right now…couple of blocks from Airport, you can get a week of Premium Car for $550 with COSTCO…at the airport it’s $1100 just make sure you DON’T select HNL but rather search HONOLULU as destination (these are dates in September-I will only rent two days for a day at a time $50 to go to North Shore and East side of island) also, they are not open on the weekends-only weekdays at this location…

1 Like

I usually rent a car in Oahu for part of the trip and return to airport. That might even be hard now. Thanks for the tip.

1 Like

Going to Maui in a couple weeks. Was lucky to secure a full sized rental through Costco for 7 days for about 550 with Budget. Has anyone recently shown up with a reservation and been told the car isn’t available? Traveling with two kids so this would be a disaster.

Turo saved me for our beach trip next month. Got a 2021 Suburban with unlimited mileage for about $750 all-in for 7 days (Metro DC area).

1 Like

I’ve rented several times in the last month and was able to get rentals I wanted at good prices with no effort.

I would say the hertz suburban I got was tired AF with 60k miles on it and smelled like ass. There was no getting it changed as there wasn’t another suburban/ full Size truck in the city so I was stuck.

It was like they had sold off all their cars last year and forgot this one lying behind some backwater hertz depot. Figured they’d dust it down, throw some tires on it, and smacked its ass as it went back into dutiful service.

4 Likes

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-05-03/rental-companies-buy-up-used-cars-as-microchip-crisis-gets-worse

They’re buying used cars now. You drove a used car they bought.

2 Likes

The smell of my last rental car was unbelievable. Like a bad combination of cigarette smoke and chemicals to try to remove the smoke smell. I ended up being one of those people driving around in a car by themself wearing a mask.

My wife just got back from a trip a few days ago and described the exact same thing with her rental car. I wonder if it’s whatever chemical they’re using as a covid disinfectant.

2 Likes

I kind of figured that - If only they’d hung on to their stock for a few months longer they’d be sitting on a gold mine either through renting or used sales.

What a terrible market to be buying used stock in. Yeesh

Heading to Seattle in July. Looked into rentals for the family…small SUV was $1,200. Went with a Tesla Model 3 on Turo for $700 since we are staying at an AirBnB with a level 2 charger installed it’s a perfect fit.

Wow the owner of that car is a real genius.

1 Like

Planned a trip with friends to Miami after two weeks around june 12. And my God, rental for 4 days is about 20% of what I paid for my car for 3 years. I rented a Chevy Tahoe in march 2019 last time I can remember for 60$ a day. Now same SUV is 280$ a day lol.
Anyway got lucky somehow and found a good deal on priceline by playing around pickup times and got a large car for 125$(for 4 days) compared 407$ what hertz is offering. Not sure if I will get the car when I get to destination as priceline stories are getting worse with rentals not accepting them.
Here is a pic for fun

What’s your backup plan

1 Like

Backup plan is to find something on turo or go through amex travel. If I have to pay 400 for 4 day rental, there is a nice mercedes on turo for same.