How to deal with dealer anxiety

Especially when spending that kind of money. That is just insane to expect someone to shell out over 100K without driving the car.

tell me about it, it’s like they expect you to love the car without ever feeling how it drives, I would compare it to like buying/renting a house without ever seeing it in person before you move in.

1 Like

I just test drove at MBZ three AMGs in a row (single test drive session); C63, E53 (no E63s in stock) and GTC 53. It depends on your dealer.

probably that too.

For OP… might I suggest something. Lease hacking is not for everyone. It may not be important to you to get an amazing deal. But it is important to know how the deal is made so you don’t get ripped off.

Given that you have dealer anxiety; I would suggest the following:

1. find a dealer/salesperson on this website if they are in your area; generally they are more outreach friendly

2. if you kind of know what car you are looking for; try to find one salesperson and stick with them. be sure to tell them that you are only test driving at this time.

3. I agree with vhooloo; dealer anxiety is not just dealer anxiety. This is an issue that is going to be with you your whole life. You need to “get out there”. Volunteer for your city or your local library or church or hospital. Practice talking to people.

4. Seek help. (i.e. a psychologist). It may be expensive, but trust me its worth it. My daughter was having some issues with social anxiety. We took her to a psychologist and I stayed in the room while she spoke with the psychologist. Let me tell you, what he said made alot of sense to me. I’m in my late 40s and if I had gotten that advice when I was younger and only listened to 20% of it my life would have been much less anxiety ridden too, and I don’t have much anxiety.

Good luck to you, son!

Can relate. I feel agitated if they are little bit pushy and I do not like the feeling when you are now obligated to buy since they helped you…worst feeling ever! But I overcome it by stating at first that “I am just checking first” so dealer won’t have high hopes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Spammers - [report them here]

Yes, going in person to test drive in research is fine! Don’t let them sell you the car, they have the most control over you in person, negotiate at home (clothes and presentability not required), then you have resources like LH, Edmunds, residual values, buy rate, incentives, etc.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Off Topic Landfill 4

I use the “lunch break” excuse… I can get away from work for a little bit. How long would it take?

The demeanor of a high-stakes salesperson is precisely calibrated to go slightly beyond a quotidian courtesy interaction, such that the buyer will maybe feel some discomfort and try to alleviate the discomfort by becoming more agreeable. So I’m not necessarily sure if it’s 100% buyer’s “fault” for being socially anxious, but rather it is usually the nature of the sales interaction.

Though there are also buyers who relish these interactions and manage to wear down the salesperson rather than the other way around. I would love to hear some of those stories!

A post was merged into an existing topic: Spammers - [report them here]