How to become a lease broker

I read the comments and threads here and can agree you are respected and are supportive of everyone as well.

It wasn’t a dig at you. It was more about @ethanrs making a Xmas late night delivery. I think I would have done the same earlier in my career, now, I would have a hard time doing that but I would not ridicule someone else for it, Whether it made $200 bucks or $10,000.

I think if people like @HersheySweet and others want to show their dedication to their clients and want to set boundaries, they need to be very clear on their hours of service, in your pages let the customers know that you will not answer texts, calls or emails after and before a certain time. Customers will take only what you give them and they will value your time only as much as you value yours.

1 Like

Some business “accumen [sic]” lol

Woops, I made a typo. “acumen” with one ‘c’. Thank you for catching!

Make no mistake, 90%+ of customers are great, but the bad ones are particularly nasty in this game. Not naming names or anything but I’ve seen some real shit on both the customer side and the dealer side. Both sides have good players and bad players.

2 Likes

Nah, that wasn’t my point :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh, I got your point.

Business acumen and nice-guy customer service are not the same thing.

I take the best care of honest customers and honest dealers. But I’m not afraid to tell someone to pound sand that deserves it. Customer is definitely not always right in this game.

1 Like

The customer is always right!

And I don’t know if it’s wise to openly say “F the customers” even if your just talking about a minority of them in a customer filled forum.

But when you have enough customers, I guess you can pick and choose- that might be the business acumen you were referring to.

1 Like
1 Like

I know you didnt ask me :slight_smile: and I would need @michael to confirm the traffic data, but I suspect the forum has seen massive gains in its user base this year. One of the reasons can be attributed to so many people being/working from home and having more time on their hands.

In general, the influx in traffic will bring more deals, and also more kickers.

Ah, shush!

I appreciate the response. Are you seeing more folks expecting you (brokers/dealer) to “eat” the remaining payments on their existing lease?

Absolutely

Really, brah?

Not anymore than usual :slight_smile:
But that’s usually an easy conversation once you explain that money just comes out of the sale price.

I can’t imagine what you go thru on here @Bostoncarconcierge.

When I first tried to get into this six or seven months ago with BMW, I had over 50 messages in the first 2 days with not a single person getting a vehicle, a lot of people wanted to be both 1) picky and 2) cheap at the same time, demanded demo deals at 20%+ off, and more. I quickly closed the thread and reevaluated.

Now, I have chosen to take on a more underrepresented brand, and leave up some BMW deals for the 1-3 people a month who choose to spend a little more on the monthly but save on the up-fronts.

I have to say, many of the people I have helped on here are great people, but even in my short 2-3 months brokering CDJR, I have had people try to go around me, despite not even charging a fee at the time, and a lot of tire kicking, a lot of quoting and ghosting, etc.

If you don’t have patience and good organization skills, it won’t work out. Your inbox will be flooded with people who want you to get them out of their lease, ask for quotes and then never speak to you again, have you quote 5 vehicles and then ghost you, and in between that, you will just have normal people, who know what they want, recognize the good deal, maybe have some questions, but ultimately want a car.

4 Likes

Collect a retainer from the start.

5 Likes

In hindsight, yea, hasn’t been much of an issue with CDJR. It seemed REALLY bad with the BMW’s.

Even when I did list my recent BMW deals, my post said clearly and in bold, that I do not do demos. My very first message was asking me for a 330i loaner. Can’t make it up.

2 Likes

images (24)

2 Likes

The problem with BMW, I think, is that CDJR type shoppers want to get into BMW (badge) after seeing all cheap deals on LH. And all “you can lease a BMW for less” comments here don’t help and create false expectations for people, who probably cannot afford a “normal” BMW deal.

4 Likes

[If anyone’s looking for me I’ll be over on YouTube searching for the snowball altercation]

1 Like

I couldn’t agree more. When I come across posts where other hackers just say “You can get a BMW for $300/month”, I always follow up requesting a detailed breakdown of said deal (What incentives were applied, mileage allotment, MSDs, new vs loaner). I want new members to have real expectations about what is possible.

7 Likes