How often do you test drive?

Totally agree, I’ve driven so many cars that it just doesn’t matter to me much anymore. If I do test drive a car it’s for 5 minutes around the block. I’m usually just looking for the cheapest payment/most equipment balance.

1 Like

What size do you wear?

Size doesn’t matter…or so I thought

I have a wide foot so can only wear New Balance…can never get those cool bball sneakers for $500

1 Like

anywhere between 11.5 and 12.5 and about 4E

That’s right, it’s the girth that’s important :slight_smile:

1 Like

I don’t test drive either. Even with Tesla, I just hoped for the best. I guess I am not that picky/detailed either. I get used to things quickly and move on.

This would be different if I thought I was keeping the car long term. But on a 2-3 year lease, I just take the chance.

Oh, I’m am quite particular with most things. :laughing:

I’m familiar enough with more models than I care to admit. I’ll research a vehicle for weeks before I think about purchasing one.

I was lucky last time when the salesperson suggested that I test drive the S60 R to make sure my butt fits in the its seats. And sure enough, after 30 minutes, I returned the car and leased the Inscription instead. Car looks can be deceiving, also. I felt relieved getting into my Volvo after driving a Giulia and Stelvio. But I don’t really need test driving Volvos, so it’s probably important when switching brands.

1 Like

As a personal observation, I fit comfortably in all of the current Volvo products except for the xc90. It can be surprising which products in a brand’s lineup can cause issues.

2 Likes

I’d recommend test driving the car (or similar trim) to get an idea if you actually like it. Especially if you get one that can’t be transferred out easily.

I’m not going to say anything here lol

I use test drives as a screening tool.

I’ve eliminated several vehicles that I expect to love, but I decidedly did not.

I usually know in under a minute if something stays on the list.

I returned an E43 sedan so fast the sales guy wasn’t sure I’d even left with it.

3 Likes

I believe this is important though… through test driving I learned that:

• Mazda CX-9 is a fantastic driver’s SUV but does not have enough creature comforts
  • GMC Acadia drives better than I thought
  • Pre-2020 Highlander was sooooo boring and soft to drive
  • QX60 actually has a very nice engine and CVT combo (originally which I thought would be a dealbreaker)
1 Like

I have 2 Tesla experiences. I took my FIL to test drive a Model 3 and I ended up ordering one for myself after the test drive.

I went in with the same expectation to drive the Model Y and came away underwhelmed (though it’s still a very nice car).

Can you elaborate how can you be impressed with 3 to a point of ordering on the spot and underwhelmed with Y. They are basically the same thing. I’ve only spent about 10 minutes in a Y and as a passenger (ok drunk in an Uber), but it seemed like possibly bigger version of 3 and I’m not even sure if it was bigger.

I like to test drive maybe 2, or 3 times or more per week as many cars as I can.

I enjoy it so I go as often as I can. The salespeople get lonely so it’s the least I could do to cheer up their depressing lives.

For reference, I drove the Model Y SR 5-seater and I own a June 2019 Model 3 SR+.

Pros:

• Way better sound system
  • Much less road/wind noise
  • Way more practical (doors/cargo area) - have 2 kids under 5
  • New wireless charging pad is awesome

Cons:

• Feels slower
  • Cornering feel was very mediocre… felt like a much bigger car than the 3
  • Not a fan of the black out trim - prefer the chrome (I know I’m in the minority here)
  • Rear visibility out of the rear view mirror is really small

My Model 3 is a great car but getting small with the whole family in it. I was thinking of the getting the Model Y SR 7 seater (to use once in a while). However, the third row is really hard to get out of (or sit for more than 20 minutes) if you are any bigger than 5’5".

I’m going to go back and try the LR Y in a few weeks and see if that’s better / worth the added $9K.

1 Like

So what’s the point of getting a GLE63 vs a 350 or 450?

If that’s not sarcasm, that is seriously messed up.