How naive am I?

crosstrek would be awesome but its too expensive

What’s your goal say with just 1st month’s payment, license, and documentation fees up front? How many miles/year?

honestly, I drove 3000 miles last year

But the gap between advertised deals and what they will let me lease is too big. It makes me want to find another junker.

Will a broker work on such a low end car?

What sort of payment do you want?

100 per month 36 months.

New here, but wouldn’t waiting to lease until the November/December/December 31st-January 1st timeframe give @cinnamngrl the best deal compared to now?

About a year ago I remember Nissan Sentras going for like $99/month so perhaps it’ll happen again.

But for driving so few miles per year, you may actually be better suited to buy a used car like a Camry or Accord.

If you wait that long, you’ll have no choice whatsoever- only a limited number of each car are usually left- the horrid dark brown or bright yellow with green interior. Car with all the options or no options whatsoever.

If you are happy getting “any” car, than you can wait.

For leasing- it doesn’t matter as much, because the residual keeps dropping as the year progresses. People have gotten better deals on brand new 2019 cars than 2018 cars- The Lexus NX is like that right now.

I would suggest buying a 2018 Impreza for New England folks… AWD, Apple CarPlay and stellar at holding value.

Also: isn’t $100/month unrealistic? Even a Corolla is $200 ish

2 Likes

Buying a 2018 car? I’ve always believed it’s never worth buying a car brand new. Perhaps a 2017,16 or 15 model year…

But either way, my feeling is that leasing only really becomes worth it for folks in the 10-15,000 Miles/yr area. Anything below or above I’d say is in buy territory.

If @cinnamngrl buys a 2017 or 2016 car and drives a few thousand miles/year, it’ll last a decade.

The early 2016s (sold Aug-Sept 2015) are approaching end of warranty.

Between a full warranty, CarPlay (which helps resale value IMO) and the negligible discounts often found on any remaining 2017s, I would go for a 2018

1 Like

Right, that’s why I wanted to lease.
BTW, here is one of the ads they email me

I hear that. I’ve found that many recent year cars come with a used car warranty as well. Idk maybe I’m also figuring that new cars just lose so much value the moment you’re off the lot. I think any CPO car will come with a substantial warranty.

Agree, especially because a 1-2 years old Subaru will still cost not much less than brand new with a good discount.

100 per month with inceptions upfront would have been possible 3 months ago such as encore, terrain deals. I suggest you hold on and keep any eye on market place posts for a couple of months or like the pros here mentioned, a decent used car would be best.

Those GM deals required “Asian” conquest, right? Not sure the OP qualifies…not to mention it’s long dead and not even crystal balls can predict when, if ever, it will return

They have different rebates every month, sometimes name plate, sometime competitive lease. Also, it can be anyone else in the household as well.
Believe it or not, the incentives are good right now (not as much as before but still decent) , but dealers are not willing to move on. I have been trying for a week now no luck.

[quote=“gc2a, post:35, topic:54828, full:true”]Idk maybe I’m also figuring that new cars just lose so much value the moment you’re off the lot.
[/quote]

For certain brands perhaps but every time I have tried to help someone buy a late model Toyota, Honda or Subaru, we’ve always come to the conclusion that the negligible savings weren’t enough