How much should I expect to pay in insurance?

I’m paying about 160 a month for a 2018 Volt and Acadia in NJ, two drivers, 750 deductible if I remember correctly? Comes out to about 1900 for the year.

Damn, you guys haven’t seen NYC insurance rates. These are all cheap as hell in comparison. Lucky ducks.

Apparently NY-state had a surge this year/last few years. I’m in Westchester, in my 30s, no accidents or tickets, and I was paying about $110/mo. for $300k property, with $100 deductibles for comp and collision on my 2017 S60. Then it crept up to $120, then $130, then nearly $140. My new S60 was wayyy more expensive for no reason, so I moved my renter’s insurance to Geico and upped my collision deductible to $200, so 6 months is still a total rip, but went from $1,008 to $857. Geico claims that it’s “much more expensive to fix cars in NY lately.”

Switch companies? Cheapest I found was $220/month at others. It makes no sense for someone with a clean record!

Switching is usually the only way to really reduce your rate. You know why every insurance company can say “people who switched to Geico save an average of $xxx”, because no one switches unless it will save them money.

I have been bad getting quotes but I feel better about my $1500 annual bill for MDX and Accord after reading this thread. Switching from Geico such a pain since I have bundled everything through them.

1 Like

why bother with a $200 dollar deductible? are you going to put in a claim for $500 in damages instead of paying out of pocket and paying way more in rate increases than what you recouped by putting in a claim?

why not up your deductible to 1000, pocket the money youre saving cause you sure as hell won’t be putting in a claim to make a $200 deductible “worth it”

2 Likes

reeaaally? but like…how!? It’s more expensive to insure than a Ferrari 599?

I know they’re both rare fragile Italian ‘exotics’, but c’mon. That’s crazy.

Guessing they have teen driver on there…

Huh? What are you talking about?

I bit the bullet and switched from Geico to Liberty Mutual. Geico initially gives you an insane rate cut, I was paying like $260 per year for full coverage in Albany NY, then every renewal it would go up by 30-50 until I was around $600. Switched to Liberty and their rate has been steady for a couple of years.

Geico also does 6mo quotes vs LM’s 12mo

1 Like

Wish i was kidding, but yes more expensive then the Ferrari (the ferrari has 2,500 miles a year though) while the fiat has 10k. but 24 year old main driver with 1 speeding ticket will do that to insurance rate

Never just pay speeding tickets. Plea them down to non moving with assistance of attorney. Big helper there.

will be doing that if more tickets come our way. It falls off in 2 months so next rate will be a lot cheaper due to 25 year’s & 0 tickets.

Fiats go back in September they are both the lovely 49.99/Month 3 year leases

Source ? My deductible is 2500 and they either don’t know or don’t care.

In all honesty, I don’t see any purpose of a thread where members are posting their insurance rates on cars they on? Doesn’t help anyone does it?
Next are we going to share how much we pay for cellphone bills ?

2 Likes

Speaking of which how much do you pay for cell phone? We have Verizon and it seems pricey compared to others but I think the service is better.

:rofl:

1 Like

Sprint for personal with hefty discount. AT&T for work.

re: deductible: That’s not the only way to look at it. If you have a $1,500 claim, at a $500 deductible, you pay… well $500. $200 deductible saves you $300.

So you take $300 savings times the likelihood of a +$1500 event over some period of time and you calculate your savings against the extra cost of going $200 vs $500.

I recently did that and decided to up the deductible on one of our cars from $250 to $500 (would recoup the $250 in just about 20 months and I figure my chances at event needing collision coverage at less than once in 3 years)

On the other hand, found the incremental savings going from $500 to $1000 wasn’t worth it as 1 incident in something like 10 years would recoup the added cost.

1 Like

The Magenta baby ! Can’t miss on those Free Pizza’s from their Tuesday App !

1 Like

Tough guy behind the computer throwing salt, yet keeps his profile info hidden.

Makes sense. :man_facepalming::thinking:

1 Like