How is your new ride?

If you want to be particular about it…

carwow.co.uk

Capture5

2020 Porsche Macan vs. Audi Q5: Head to Head

So in other words. Pay 30%+ more to drive a car that is 67% Porsche.

1 Like

I took Audi Q5 45 S Line Premium (S tronic) for a test drive today.
Felt a HUUUUUUGE difference after Macan. These two are NOT the same cars, not even remotely similar in driving and handling.
Audi didn’t feel like downgraded version of Macan, it felt like a completely different car.
Audi Q5 felt very similar to my Tiguan SE, it felt like upgraded version of VW, with light steering, smooth riding and noticeably slow acceleration.
You can easily get Macan to 125 mph (it’s difficult to accelerate it faster, just because you will catch up with traffic too quickly and will be forced to slow down). Q5 will struggle when you push it past 95 mph.
I don’t know how anyone who drove base Macan and Q5 could objectively say that these cars feel like they are cousins.
Yes, 2024 base Macan is slower than 2021 GLC, but is nothing like Tiguan or Q5.

Above is my opinion, not humble anymore but a firm one, I drove the cars I am writing about.

They are very different cars. I could agree with someone who said Tiguan and Q5 drive and feel similar. Macan and Q5 don’t.

Never driven the Q5 but I have driven the Macan. No surprisingly was unimpressed, as I am usually unimpressed with any 4 banger under the hood.

I think my original post is all about base Macan not being super impressive sport’s car, it’s not just a 4 banger, but it’s slower car than 2021 GLC. This is not to say that it in any way feels like you are driving a Tiguan or Q5.

Checks out as 10/10. The server upgrade didn’t upgrade the ignore feature.

3 Likes

4c9

4 Likes

This car is not for someone who will be road-raging or racing. Not even for someone who cares much about acceleration. If I was to get a car with performance firmly aimed at in my head, I would rest my sights on GTS or S, or 2 sec 911, if I was Ayrton Senna wannabe, and probably break my bank account too.

1 Like

Speaking of payment, this is what average Joe pays to lease 2023 Q5 car in my neighborhood:

Model: 45 S line Premium (S tronic)
MSRP: $57,340
Rebate: $4000
Sales prince: $53340
RV: $34404 (36 mo, 10K mi/yr)
MF (looks like it’s marked up for Tier 1): 0.00291
Nitrofill: $199
Doc Fee: $500
Tax (MD): $3524.04
Non-tax fees (acquisition and etc.): $1326
Dealer’s Fee: $695
Total Out the Door: $59,584.04

DAS: $974
Monthly: $974

That’s not 30%+ less than what I am paying for base Macan. It’s actually identical (if you don’t account for $2076 tax credit I received for my trade).

I would get this Audi when my Tiguan SE lease is up if I found a unicorn deal on it
But if I am going to pay almost $1000/mo or close to $36000 throughout the term of the lease, I think I would much rather go with what I have than Q5.

Eric, Eric, Eric…
You love to put up smokescreens to rationalize your points, don’t you? Citing a horrible deal on a Q5 to make yourself right… As smart as you are, don’t you know that anyone can pay virtually anything on any car. $1k on a Toyota Camry is even possible. By your logic, the Porsche and Toyota are the same price.
No.
Base MSRP on a Q5 is $44k. Base price on a Macan is $57k. Difference is 30%. Try arguing that fact.
We established that the Macan consists of 33% of Q5 parts. Therefore, the Macan is 33% Audi and costs 30% more.

Story time, over. The end!

No smokescreens, @jay3 , there is a reason Q5 lease will be horrible, as much as you try to make it look right. RV on it is low, like 54% v. 65% on Macan. That eats up 11% of cost difference right there, if you choose to lease (not speaking of financing/buying the car).
With all the rebates and incentives you can get (this is not Q4 etron, no EV rebate), this car, a #8 among compact SUV’s according to Car & Driver, doesn’t stand anywhere near #1, and is not worth the money you will be paying to lease it.

I get it. Well, kind of. There are about 4 or 5 Macans in my neighborhood. They are all driven by women. I think they just like the way it looks. My wife even commented on how pretty they are. In fact, whenever I see a Macan on the road, they are almost always driven by women. Whereas whenever I see an SQ5, it’s almost always driven by men because they want the performance version of the Q5.

2 Likes

If youre going to use a q5 strawman, at least compare it to a macan strawman.

6 Likes

The lease on a Macan has a base MF of 0.00360 whereas the Q5 is at 0.0215. Q5s are getting discounted like crazy due to the new refresh coming up so getting 10% off with a tiny bit of legwork is not impossible. Put these two things together and you can be in a “base” Q5 for close to $500-600/month effective. In a few months once the novelty of driving a Porsche wears off, you will realize that you are paying 11k more than you could have for what is essentially the same commuter car. All you have to show for it is the hat or thermos the dealer might have been kind enough to throw in as a souvenir.

One can get an SQ5 for less than a base Macan. Boom!

3 Likes

Except Q5 doesn’t drive as Macan, it is very similar to VW Tiguan. If we take your thesis as valid it makes a strong argument to stick with Tiguan and not step up to Q5, since both cars are essentially the same or very similar, no need to pay premium for Audi badge. But comparing Q5 to Macan is comparing apples to oranges, so the argument is useless.

With a caveat that SQ5 has 349 hp / 369 lb-ft torque, therefore not an analog of base Macan in Q5 world, it’s a step up like the S Macan is from base, which delivers 434 hp in comparison to SQ5. Also, I didn’t test drive SQ5, but if it’s anything like Q5 in steering and handling, I think men in general would prefer S Macan, with harder steering and much better handling.

That’s not exactly a strawman, that’s what average Joe pays to lease Q5 when he walks in to drive off with a car. Very few do the legwork people on this forum do to get a new car.

The bottom line is this: base MSRP on the Macan is 30% higher than that on a base Q5. You can spin all you want about leasing vs financing or residual this/that. Porsche is marketing a car that is 33% Audi at a 30% higher price than its counterpart.

Do you argue irrefutable facts for a living or something? It’s tiresome for the rest of the world.