How bad did I get f*cked?

These $3,750 rebates is what you are getting by check, I guess. They are not part of cap cost reduction. But I did not look at your contract, so maybe I’m wrong here.

In my humble opinion and experience shopping the Muscle Car category last year I think this is a terrible deal. I bought my ‘18 GT with the performance package ($44k MSRP?) brand new last year for $34k before taxes. It was also the first year of the refreshed style too so discounts now are probably even deeper. It’s pretty easy to get $8-10k off MSRP on American Muscle Cars, you’re way better off financing.

2 Likes

@max_g, as far as I’m concerned, not an internet myth, as I got that phrase from a man who owns a string of dealerships … and I don’t believe any were in CA. I’m sure some states have different rules, but I don’t believe this to be a CA-only thing.

That said, I reiterate I have never once signed a contract here in NJ on a different day than delivery. If there was ever a wait involved, then it was just a buyer’s order.

Also to make matters worse, the salesman ran my insurance when I had already applied to Ford Credit online. So my insurance was run twice.

You mean your credit? That’s not unusual at all to see multiple inquiries, one from the dealer and one from the financing bank. Don’t sweat that.

I reiterate this post is a Attach22569_20190509_173038

3 Likes

The APR is 0.40%. Doesn’t appear to be marked up but, I can’t say for sure.

This deal is such a mess. Something to keep in mind with transactions involving interest…keep things simple.

I did sign paperwork from the dealer saying that I would receive the rebates via a check in the mail. Also, they made me sign paperwork saying I took delivery of the car even though I didn’t. How screwed am I now? Or is there a way to argue that I didn’t take delivery because I actually didn’t.

What kind of gun was it?

7 Likes

May have been the 12 gauge impulse buyer. :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

Unless it’s a Shelby you got royally fucked.

See if you can get out of it. You can get a nice bimmer or Volvo or audi for that amount.

Enjoy the car for the next 24 months. In general, don’t sign legally binding paperwork if you’re not comfortable with it :poop:

3 Likes

I was completely comfortable with it because of the rebates. It basically made the payment equal $394 per month. However, checking the numbers again it’s become clear that they did not give me the discount they promised. That is why I think I got screwed over. At the moment of the deal I thought I was doing good, with the highly monthly premium being a necessity since I made it 24 months and decided to pocket the rebates.

Can you make a case for temporary insanity or legal blindness? The numbers were plain as day in the documents you signed. If not, come back in 24mos…IMO not worth the very low probability hassle of fighting the dealer. You live and you learn.

2 Likes

This is why you don’t throw unnecessary transactions into the mix…

FWIW, my dealer (Subaru) told me that until I drive the car “off the lot”, the deal is not complete. He is someone I trust as much as any car dealer I’ve ever dealt with…this is in Los Angeles. Told me it was California law.

I, too, am baffled by people posting here afterwards…however, the only thing I can think of is that people made a deal, somehow did research post sale (maybe they had buyers remorse…or perhaps another dealer contacted them with a much better offer soon after purchase?) and then posted after realizing they may have gotten taken to the cleaners.

UPDATE

I just talked to the finance manager who sold me the car at the dealer and he was upset that I wasn’t “happy” with the deal.

He said he could give me the discount I wanted but he would mark up the APR. I told him the 0.4% APR I qualified for was from Ford itself but he says the dealers can mark it up 3% if they wanted to and that he’s not a “scumbag salesman” so he didn’t do that. He also said that the dealership doesn’t get the factory rebates back as a bonus from Ford. But I couldn’t argue this with him as he seemed intent on his word and wasn’t having it. He said that if I wanted to secure the factory/Ford company-set APR then I should “buy it from Ford itself”.

What do you guys think of this? He literally admitted dealers can falsify the APR you qualify for.

Uh yeah, it’s pretty common knowledge after the slightest bit of research that dealers can bump the MF/APR for profit. Did you read anything about leasing before negotiating this deal?

12 Likes

I wouldn’t have called it a negotiation

This says to me that the deal isn’t final and you can walk away. So walk away. Your budget can get you a million cars better than a Mustang. And the best part is – you wouldn’t have to drive a Mustang.

11 Likes