Honda Leasee passed away - What to do with equity

How come?

Does that same large dealer group also have a Honda dealership? If so, could they buy the HR-V and apply any equity toward your Toyota?

Apparently, other people have run into the same issue. :frowning:

https://www.reddit.com/r/askcarsales/comments/n2r0sa/honda_financial_deceased_lessee_question/

Would be a bit difficult for the parent to sign the lease over. Considering.

They do own a honda dealership, but they say they have never don’t this before

The dealer probably just doesn’t want to hassle with a complicated transaction like this. I’m sure the dealer’s attorney could advise them on how to handle a situation like this. I’m sure something could be done to facilitate the trade in, but like I said, it’s a hassle or risk they are unwilling to take.

Also, if this vehicle was traditionally financed and not leased it would probably be an easier transaction. Unfortunately, that is not what we have here.

Oh, I see what you mean. Returning a lease is still diff than trading it in…

Returning, just sign an odometer statement and walk away. Hopefully the Estate doesn’t get a bill later for overages.

Trade in, you have to sign documents stating you are the legal lessee and that you are giving up all rights to the company you are trading it into…that’s shading on fraud as the heir is not the lessee.

It seems like it is a shade of grey for sure. There are no overages and technically the estate doesn’t exist as there are not assets to pay. So it is do I venture into the grey and hope for the best.

What Happens To A Leased Vehicle When Someone Dies? - Trustworthy: The Family Operating SystemÂŽ

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.