Honda accent windows problem is a "feature"?

all four windows on my 2019 honda accord sport opened on their own on dec. 4 while the car was parked…this happened at some point after the trunk and some of the doors were opened to deposit items inside (the car never was powered on) and then the car was left unattended for about an hour…upon returning to the car, all four the windows were discovered open (see photo) to virtually the same degree, perhaps two-to-three inches…this is the second time this problem has occurred…the first time was about a week ago when the car was parked, left unattended for at least an hour, then upon returning to the car it was discovered that all four windows were open to virtually the same degree, about five inches…in both instances, the driver noticed nothing amiss until returning to the car later…it’s as though a delayed reaction occurred to open the windows…how could this happen? the dealership service dept. where i leased the car said the windows open if you hold the key fob “unlock” button down too long or if it’s pressed three times quickly in succession, and that this might apply to the “lock” button, too…furthermore, i was told this oddity is a “feature” of the accord that cannot be disabled…i find the explanation incredible…what do you think?

Correct. Was the moonroof also slighly open?

www.driveaccord.net is a much better site than this for questions like these. However I can almost guarantee that you did it yourself. I’ve never seen anyone complain about this and after 2 years with my Accord it’s never happened to me.

2 Likes

someone sat down with the key in their pocket with something holding down the unlock button.

6 Likes

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=honda+accord+windows+down+on+their+own

6 Likes

no moonroof…thanks.

yep this is a feature. a weird one, I remember discovering it on my 2012 accord back then at the time. I liked it in summer time to get into a hot smoldering car with the windows all down

1 Like

thanks…endless complaints about this problem over several years validates my belief that this is a serious design flaw that honda has failed to address.

Really? Lol.

Numerous complaints from a general population that isn’t very intelligent leads me to believe that the people complaining did it themselves.

I have literally owned a Honda or Acura with this feature since 2005 and it has NEVER ONCE happened to me. 2003 Accord, 2008 TSX, 2011 TL, 2005 Odyssey, 2018 Accord. 15 years and when you consider the overlaps when I’ve had multiple cars in my driveway more like 20 years. Not once.

1 Like

I have done this on both my wife’s passport and my civic I had a few years ago. Both times it was because I had crap in my pockets and sat down weird. After both times, I realized what I had done, knew to be more careful about what I have in my pockets with my keys, and never had it happen again. Both times I did it to myself.

Why do people think LHF is a good place to address the minutiae of their cars?

“My 7 series trunk is too big”
“My Versa doesn’t have floormats”

Here’s a hint: All these brand-specific questions belong on a brand-specific forum.

6 Likes

@HondaSoCal surely has an explanation for this…

1 Like

1 Like

This is a pretty cool feature if it stop just few inches down. Jap cars for a while now had the feature to completely lower windows if you keep holding unlock on second click.

1 Like

Brand-specific forums hurt my head. I’m into cars, but not that into cars.

There’s this thing called “community” that most forums attempt to foster. When someone answers a question I post here, I have some sense of his or her perspective because I’ve seen that person post on a variety of other topics. I already know who is generally credible and helpful, and I know who the turds are.

I don’t want to spend weeks reading and becoming acquainted with the regulars at Bonerpost in order to establish the same familiarity with the user base. I may only ever have a small handful of questions about my car, and this may be the only time I ever have this specific brand or model.

2 Likes

This would be a useful feature on a hot day.

I’d like to think your significant other has the second key and is doing this to mess with you - or someone is swiping your keys when you’re not looking.

The feature is for being able to open your windows as you’re walking up to it. Letting the hot air out reduces the temperature in the car. It is definitely a feature I enjoy on my Accord. You have to hit the button 3x and hold it down for a lengthy period of time on the third press to make the windows go down. I’ve never had anyone accidentally trigger this feature.

Also there is definitely a fart joke in here somewhere.

Edit: I love that you not only took photo-evidence of photos being slightly open but also posted it.

2 Likes

Since that word can sometimes be meant in an offensive way (I’m sure you didn’t mean it that way), I personally would appreciate it if you just wrote out “Japanese.”

2 Likes

A vehicle feature is a design flaw? This isn’t a Honda “feature.” My BMW, and my wife’s Cadillac do the same thing if you hold the fob buttons in a particular fashion.

Call the NHTSA…a worldwide recall is in order.

To be fair, 90% of the questions that are asked here could be answered with a simple Google search or a phone call to the captive/Insurance agency/local DMV/etc…

For the record all new features come from Honda and are borrowed/stolen from other manufacturers.

3 Likes