Home EVSE Charger/Connector Recommendations?

1. That looks like the Nema 15 Adaptor.
  2. It’s costco you can at least return it.
  3. Damn that’s a nasty fire hazard.
  4. You might want to get one of these and make sure your plug is wired properly. It looks like it wasn’t grounded properly.
1 Like

Good thing Costco has a generous return policy

2 Likes

What charging rate do you have the 330e set to charge at? Looks like it was set to 16 amp.

1 Like

I think I did set it at 16A. But I think this charger only goes up to 12 amps. Factory level 1 is at 10 amps. I wouldn’t think it can draw 16 when the charger is not capable. Thanks

So the costco website isnt clear on that specific link, but the other version they sell without the adapter is a 32A on 220v, suggesting this is 16A on 110, which would result in exactly that when used on a adapter only rated for 12A.

There are lots of evse options out there that are shipped with adapters that aren’t code conpliant. Lectron is notorious for shipping 16A level 1 units with adapters to plug into a 5-15.

1 Like

Thanks Matt, I did find the manual and it did say 120V @ 12A. Now I am even more confused. I just returned it to Costco and got a refund.
Appreciate all the comments, folks.

2 Likes

I recently leased the Mercedes Benz EQE 500 SUV, and need to get a charger installed. I’m in NY and neither my gas nor electric provider have any incentive or rebates for getting an EV or getting an EV Charger installed. So that route is off the table. Reading on many fourms there are so many different options so any personal experience would be appreciated. Also, not looking to get the Tesla charger. I’ll list a few brands I’ve seen recommended but please give your suggestions.

• ChargePoint
  • JuiceBox
  • Wallbox Pulsar
  • Grizzle - E
  • Emporia
  • Clipper Creek

This link

1 Like

Everything you listed is a good option. The emporia seems to offer the most features for the dollar though.

1 Like

I recently leased the Mercedes Benz EQE 500 SUV, and need to get a charger installed. I’m in NY and neither my gas nor electric provider have any incentive or rebates for getting an EV or getting an EV Charger installed. So that route is off the table. Reading on many fourms there are so many different options so any personal experience would be appreciated. I’ll list a few brands I’ve seen recommended but please give your suggestions.

• ChargePoint
  • JuiceBox
  • Wallbox Pulsar
  • Grizzle - E
  • Emporia
  • Clipper Creek
  • Tesla Universal Charger

I have a Juicebox. It does the charging piece well. Allows delays, and will line up with TMU providers. The app is garbage though.

Also consider the power needed. I have the 40 amp model. This give me about 80 miles in 2.5 hours. If you can live with a 32 amp, you may save a few bucks. It really depends on the capacity of your electrical box though.

I put in a 16amp Bosch in 2015 because it was free with my Spark. For $200 more, they offered a 32amp, but I why would I need a 32amp charger when the max rate on the Spark was 16amps?

1 Like

Inside our outside install? On your list, I would only consider Grizzl-e or Clipper Creek, if you’ve eliminated Tesla.

I really like the 48 amp Wallbox I have. Good cable and good app.

Inside install. Don’t see any added benefits of installing outside. Unless someone can share some pros and cons of either. I’m running a new dedicated line from my 200 amp panel to a NEMA 14-50 Outlet. Probably a 50 amp breaker for the charger.

Is Tesla just as good for Mercedes and other brands? I’ll need to get some adapter I’m assuming.

I bought a Grizzl-e and I’ve been very happy with it in terms of performance and quality.

The very new Tesla Universal Charger seems like a no brainer, as it has a built in adapter and can charge both Tesla and non Tesla style vehicles. Tesla has more experience with chargers than anybody and multiple Tesla chargers can load share a circuit. Also do yourself a favor and install a 60A breaker and similar wiring so you can support the full 48A capacity of the latest chargers. Load must be < 80% of breaker. You might think you don’t need a Tesla style charger but more and more manufacturers are adopting, plus you never know if you spouse, child, or friend might stop by and need a charge with a different style of vehicle.

1 Like

Here’s a link to the product you described.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tesla-universal-wall-connector-level-2-hardwired-electric-vehicle-ev-charger-up-to-48a-24-white/6557478.p?skuId=6557478

And I am assuming it has superior capabilities such as scheduling, app usage etc?

And yes I’ll request the electrician use a 60 amp breaker instead of 50.