Home EVSE Charger/Connector Recommendations?

I dont have a Tesla currently. I have a Benz EQE which takes the J1772 connector. Both Tesla and ChargePoint have the EVSE with the J1772 connector. And in the future if I need the NACS connector I can swap the cable on the CP or get an adapter for the Tesla…

Their new universal is back ordered for months, or else I would have gone with that for sure.

Thanks for that call out… Looks like the ChargePoint only supports #6 wire as per page 10 in this PDF. And my electrician said if we are going to do hardwired then he will use a #4 wire… The decision has been made, and I need to install the Tesla charger… Cannot do ChargePoint.

1 Like

I just got that Lectron adapter that turns a NACS to J1772. This lets me charge a MB EQS.

I think that’s easier than trying to swap a cable later.

And you have the Tesla Gen 3 NACS charger which you like? No gripes with it I’m guessing.

Yeah the Gen 3 NACS unit works great. Worked fine with 2 Teslas and works fine with BMW and MB BEVs (with the J1772 adaptor).

I installed both myself (#4 to their own 60A breakers). Installation is relatively easy and provisioning them was easy. Assuming you install this indoors in a garage that only you use, the only recommendation I would have for you is to cut out the bar code thing in the manual and just tape it to the body of the EVSE.

However, if you are installing this outside or in a common area… don’t tape the bar code to the EVSE body. It’s very easy to remove the EVSE body (4x 5/32 hex driver bolts + swift tug) and someone having the bar code can just re-provision the unit wherever they want. Tesla sells the backing plate for like $65… which will allow anyone to re-sell the stolen EVSE for a hefty profit.

With catalytic converter theft looking more difficult in CA, I have heard about a rise in theft of public/common L2 Tesla chargers.

I charge the I4 and IX with a Tesla Gen 3 wall connector and a J1772 adapter. It works flawlessly…

I’ve also invested in a 25’ Teslatap extension so I can extend my reach.

1 Like

Im conflicted if I should install indoors or outdoors. I have my own garage, but my car does not park in there, I park in the driveway… I am guessing having the garage door shut on the cable every night wont be great for it. I can install it outdoors, but kids being kids and im in NY so the weather can get pretty rough in the winter.

IMO, the cable is pretty solid… one of my EVs is outside and I just drop my garage door on it. But I’m in California where the weather is nice 120% of the time.

I think if you really want you can cut a piece of PVC and just kind of snap it over the cable. So the door shuts on the PVC instead of the cable.

The Tesla Gen 3 is indoor/outdoor rated. Ultimately I think the fear of it getting stolen is pretty low. I’m just saying don’t stick the bar code to the EVSE body if it’s outdoors. The wind/rain will probably wash away the paper anyway if you did that.

You can also adjust the door raise and lower height assuming it’s an automatic opener.

Yes it is an automatic Chamberlain door opener… Dont want the cold winter and bugs in… so dont think I want to do that either lol… Ive seen some cable garage door pass protector’s on Amazon, may try one of those with a hose before I decide.

100% talking out of my ass here, but could you not put heavy weather padding on the bottom of the door so even if it hits the cable it will just form around it allowing the garage door to close and not let bugs / weather in?

Of course, but even decreasing by 1/4 inch should take some pressure off and still be closed completely with the weatherstrip if you are worried.

I’d rather charge outside than worry about the repeated fatigue on the cable from the garage door closing on it.

What’s the downside to charging outside?

I replaced an old Leviton that I got for free with my Honda Fit EV lease 10 years ago with the Chargepoint Flex which I’ve had for a couple of years. It was on sale from Amazon warehouse and eligible for a rebate from LADWP at the time. It’s performed flawlessly for both my EV’s–a BMW i3 and a Chevy Bolt EUV. Obviously with the charging standard about to change I’ll probably need an adaptor but I don’t regret the decision.

Frozen cables. I know these are made for outdoor installs but in “State Of Charge”s video it wasn’t the greatest as it was frozen and hard to unwind. And the kids trying to charge their bicycles and toys with it :joy:

Youre making the assumption that the people that give amazon reviews have any clue what theyre talking about

There are non-j1772 compliant evses with counterfeit testing lab marks on amazon that cause significant damage to evs that still get great reviews. There are also lots of listings on amazon with counterfeit reviews.

This is one of those cases where amazon reviews are not an acceptable data source to be making an educated decision based on. Low quality outlets with undersized connectors, poor contacts, etc., cause real problems and should not be used, even if clueless people give them 5 stars.

3 Likes

Obligatory xkcd about reviews:

2 Likes

Where you install will also be a function of where your electrical box is. I wanted to install in the garage, but it is on the other side of the house, and away from my box. The difference in cost was about 2K. I ended up installing near the box for $500. I have not had any weather related issues. I am in so cal though.

1 Like

Yeah, luckily my box is outside on the garage wall. The charger is installed just on the other side of the panel, in the garage. I got my Bosch charger hardwired installed for $150 in 2015. The charger was also free, courtesy of GM. It’s only a 3.3kw charger which is actually perfect because I’m getting a 4kw solar installed without batteries. I’ll upgrade in couple of years when they release V2H/V2G cars and chargers.

1 Like

The lease just ended with my 21 etron and got a Q4 etron as a replacement. I used to charge the old etron with the provided level 2 charger, but the Q4 didn’t come with one as it is on a recall. Any suggestions on which charger to get? I will be plugging it into the NEMA 14-50 plug on the wall.