Home EVSE Charger/Connector Recommendations?

Excellent point, I was thinking about that too. I’m concerned about the mixed reviews that the Juicebox gets (even though I’m proud, as an Italian-american, to support an Italian company). What happens if I get the rebate and then a couple of months later I return it at Costco because it’s not working as expected, and I get a different one? I guess they will see that the Juicebox is not sending any data and might send someone to come take a look? Their guidelines don’t say much about this situation…

From the JCPL terms and conditions for the incentive:

JCP&L reserves the right to review EVSE installations and to have
reasonable access to Participant’s residence so that its Program Team can inspect and verify
installation and confirm that the EVSE accessibility and data requirements have been met.
During the term of the Program, you agree to provide reasonable access to JCP&L’s Program
Team at your residence during normal business hours for such verification purposes.

not to side track this discussion on electric company rebates, but has there been any news on new chargers with longer than 25ft cords? other than my ridiculous HOA, the charging cord length is my only hangup on getting one of these installed.

The max 25ft cord is a code requirement.

Yeah…and this stinks🤪

I could use an extra 5 ft or so…and have 2 spare cord/connector assemblies…:grinning:

I bought a custom 24’ extension for my Tesla Wall Connector from umc-j1772.com

It lets me reach from the back of my garage all the way out into my driveway (around 50’)

Mine also has an integrated Teslatap to adapt the end of the extension to J1772.

That looks slick✔️

I’m going to cheap out on mine and just use the spare cables I have to extend my regular L2 charging cable. My Tesla specific one is a good length, I need to make my second J1772 (non Tesla connector) a little longer.

I bought a Lectron unit this past summer and I’ve been very happy with it so far. Massachusetts does not have variable rates (at least not where I live), it costs the same to charge no matter when I’m charging so I didn’t need any features where I could program it. I use it for charging my Grand Cherokee 4xe and my dad’s Tesla regularly. It’s faster than his older Tesla charger (purchased in maybe 2018?) and it’s built like a tank.

It was $330 shipped when I bought it.

Id advise people to avoid the lectron units. Some people have good luck with them, but none of their units are ul listed, many are non code compliant due to pulling more amps than components are rated for, and quite a few people have major overheating issues with them.

When you can get a significantly superior reputable evse for all of about $50 more, I cant imagine using one.

3 Likes

trying to get the charger install at home and contact the NJ EV program, that’s the response i got below. are you able to install one at home and get the rebate?

The vendor must actively participate in Honeywell’s data collection and calculation process; so that installation is confirmable, the usage may be reported, and off-peak crediting applied.

Unfortunately, TESLA IS NOT AN INCENTIVE-ELIGIBLE CHARGER MODEL at this time.

That is correct - the Tesla Charger won’t qualify for the new EV rebate programs, which is why I purchased a JuiceBox 40.

1 Like

If anyone is interested-I have my Tesla Mobile Charger I can sell for $170 Never been used…(from my 2020 M3) also have a L2 charger still in the box that I got when using CVAP in CA (don’t know what brand it is but price was $5-600) I can sell that one for $300 plus shipping… or both for $450

Will you deliver?

Sure, in a HELLCAT :joy:

1 Like

To the Turkish embassy?

In which country :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Does it matter? Come habibi- he needs his shaarger

3 Likes

Quick question. Did your car come with a J1772 adapter for your Juicebox? Just trying to figure out if I should order one before the car gets delivered.

Yes- the adapter was in the trunk when I took deliy, along with the front plate bracket.

1 Like

I really wish we didn’t have to install front license plates in NJ.

Get a 3D printed one. I had this one for the 3 and Y.

Plenty of options on Amazon too.

1 Like