High end cars buy/lease?

you can call them and get a deal on the phone.

buy a off-lease high end car at dealer auction, drive for 1 yr and sell. I still don’t think you will break even but close to it. Just need a broker guy willing to buy it for you at the dealer auction. You can pay a broker guy a couple hundred bucks to do it for you.

Long time ago they used to do it in NY. Dealers would pick 3-5 people and drive them to Manheim to buy any car for a $200 fee. Clients were happy to get a “great” auction price not realizing that dealers replaced actual invoice with a fake that showed higher selling price by a few thousands :slight_smile:
So, what I’m saying is - why a dealer would buy a car for someone for $200 when he can make a couple of thousands on the same car?

1 Like

just gotta be on top of it. Still doable, i know people who do it.

When I tried to be on top of it, dealer just did not show up at the set time and place LOL

LOL…typical car guys!
I personally don’t like dealing with out-of-warranty cars so I don’t personally do it but in theory i like it.

Maybe, but think about it - dealer has to buy that specific car and no one knows what the end price will be. Sure, he can take a deposit and agree on max price with the buyer. Then what prevents dealer from telling the buyer that he paid $300 less than the set max price (buyer is happy), when in fact paying $2K less? So you will not pay real auction price in the end. Unless dealer agrees to provide invoice, but he will not go through this whole process for $200.

as far as i understand, they’ll take you “with them” to the auction.

Yes. But even standing next to the dealer and watching bidding, I could not understand the final price LOL
It happened when I went with a friend to get him a car.

usually u go a few times to the auction to check out cars…at some point it shouldn’t be so much of a mystery.

1. I don’t think that a dealer will drive you multiple times for $200. He has access to auction inventory and buyer can select target cars prior to going there. Besides, dealer is not allowed to bring public to the dealer auction so they present you as their driver or trainee.
  2. It’s not a mystery - it’s almost impossible for a regular person to understand auctioneer, IMO.

I have access to auction can check inventory going through it.

It’s fun to look at what a car you’re looking at sold for at auction everyday. :slight_smile:

Reason # 142 why I want to be Phantomcypher

1 Like

I did too, long time ago. That’s why that dealer didn’t want anything to do with me :slight_smile:

@Phantomcypher can you chime in on the process if you were to go with a broker? How do you protect yourself?

1. Look for experience and staying power. All brokers need state dealer license.

2. Broker that knows the value of cars as a trusted resource (like KBB but for auctions)

3. Broker that works with shipping companies that can get you a good quote.

4. If the delivery combined with the purchase price and additional fees is a better deal than what you can get outside then go for it.

A lot of dealers will do it for $500. A good target price is $350 which is reasonable for both parties. The dealer doesn’t take any risk so it is worth it. If the car explodes after two weeks, it isn’t the dealer’s fault.
They want more per car because they buy them at auction, then go through the car and detail it before putting it on a lot where it takes up space for who knows how long. Then, if it sits too long, they mark it down.

I have personally seen a TON of dealer websites that offer the service.

…and they all make more than $200-500 on this. Even if they take your $500 as a deposit, they don’t want to get stuck with a car they don’t need for $500 if you back out.

p.s. I know all that from my experience and from a guy who used to do it as a dealer and shared this with me.

I have a personal friend “J” that charges $500 and he offered to do it for me for $350.
My mechanic “G” has a dealer’s license and he offered to do it for $500.

$200-1000

http://www.realcartips.com/newcars/043-problem-with-car-buying-services.shtml
$250-500

They wouldn’t go to auction just for you. They go anyways. They just combine your wish list with their own.

1 Like

I didn’t say they wouldn’t do it. They will, but they will make more than your $500 on this. You buy your car from them and it’s cheaper than buying from a dealer’s lot and you do save money, sure. But you will not get auction selling price from them.