Hi, I'm ChevyPhil. If you have Any Chevy Or GM questions post them here or Tag me and i'll help out

Hello, this is Chevy Phil. I’ve always been known for a providing a lot of information to my customers, but recently with the amount of responses I get it’s more and more difficult to give everybody the full explanation I would like to. So the goal of this document is to provide some basic general info to help us be on the same page when discussing lease cost and EV’s.
This is based on my FAQ and if you think there is something I can add (or leave out) please let me know. I hope this helps and feel free to share it with your friends and family.

Basics of leasing.
The vehicle has a residual value which is what it will be worth at the end of your lease term, and you’re responsible for paying the percentage that the vehicle depreciates. For example for a volt the residual value is 50% so you pay for the other 50%. bolt is 61%, So you would pay for the other 39%. Plus tax and fees and interest. Anything below that total is due to discounts from Chevrolet and the dealership. So with some quick math you can see with the lease “should cost” and what you are saving with discounts.

Why do EV’s Lease so well?
The reason plug in vehicle leases seem so much better than other cars of the same MSRP is the government requires car companies to sell EV’s no matter what. Otherwise they have to stop selling gas guzzlers where they make their money. So the residual value is inflated to save you money (because you pay for a smaller percentage), also they give you instant discounts (rebates) that they can’t afford, and they give the dealerships kickbacks to lose money on the deal. Those three things are what makes EV leasing such a great value compared to purchasing and paying 100% of the cost and getting the $7500 tax credit. With that said dealers who hit their quota are usually giving these cars away (except times when inventory is low and they will actually sell/lease for a Profit).

How does lease pricing work?
There are three variables that control lease price,

1. The sales price of the vehicle which is controlled by the dealership. (Electric vehicles are the only cars we constantly lose money on, so the price is usually a $2000 loss. It makes business sense later with Chevy kick backs but a bigger loss then that doesn’t make sense. That’s why it’s easy for me to know what is the best price possible. (When someone is already losing money it’s tough to negotiate further)

2. The money factor (interest rate). Now there is a “lowest available” rate provided by Chevrolet (which is what I use) but dealers can mark it up 2% and that’s a thing to watch for.

3. Factory rebates, which come in as a instant down payment for you. These change throughout the year controlled by Chevrolet. They tend to rise and fall steadily and are easy to predict. They depend on how many vehicles Chevy has in stock in our local area and how quick they need to get rid of them. Last year Chevrolet made too many Bolts because it was the first year making them, so rebates were really high. This year they aren’t making as many so rebates aren’t as high. Some days of the month there are also special rebate coupons (Flex Cash), but you’d have to purchase while they are available. (usually a mon/tue)

How do you know you’re getting the best price?
If you’re getting the Lowest money factor, all of the rebates you qualify for, and the best dealer discount, then you know you’re getting the “best price”.
All you really have to do is compare sales price, any extra rebates, and MF.

Misinformation and incorrect assumptions.
The biggest difference actually seen by consumers is usually just misinformation. For example advertised specials do not include taxes and fees called “drive off” (all companies advertise like that), So when you get the deal including everything of course it is going to be more.

Taxes and DMV fees are based on the city you live in. Upfront fees called “drive off” are a ballpark of around $1500 on these EV’s using bay area tax rates. Then your monthly payment is plus tax based on your city tax rate.

It’s normal to not include sales tax in most industries advertisements, you can’t go to Jack-in-the-Box and buy tacos for $.99 you have to add sales tax. But in car lease add’s there is more then just sales tax. There is upfront tax, DMV fees, and dealership processing and document fees called, the total is called your “Drive off” cost.
(People like my deals because I give them everything total upfront)

The second thing to consider is the advertised price is usually a really really aggressive dealer discount. At a loss to the dealership. It’s normally limited to 1 or 2 vehicles. It will say that in the Fine Print. It’s meant to get your attention, it’s not meant to be the price that everyone gets.

They may include rebates that you do not qualify for like having a current lease in your name. It may even include a special coupon that is only available in the first few days of the month, But the advertising special stays up all month (those are the worst).
When dealing with advertisements you need to read all-inclusivet.
(I provide all inclusive pricing and full details on what is included)

Usually the way people get unrealistic expectations is the assumption that the Advertised specials are a starting point and not considering taxes and fees need to be added. Being realistic in what a vehicles costs is the key to finding a car that fits your needs and your budget.

Electric vehicle rebates and benefits. With the lease of a volt (plug in hybrid) you get an additional $1500 check from the state of California. With the Lease of a bolt (all electric) you get a $2500 check from the state of California (check income requirements https://cleanvehiclerebate.org/eng).
Plus if you are a PG&E customer you get a $500 rebate from them as well.

You also get HOV stickers (renewable in 2019 and guaranteed until 2022). In 2019 any car 2016 or older will have their stickers expire which will clear the carpool lane. Also a lot of people have companies that provide free charging. You also get free parking in the city of San Jose for getting a car from a San Jose dealership. ParkSj.org (check with you city and county for additional benefits. With all those benefits it makes these cars fly off the shelves.

I think that’s everything, if you have any questions I didn’t go over, feel free to ask me.

I Work from 12pm - 9pm daily. Email/text me for appointment availability. I am also available for morning appointments with advance notice.

Phil Gileno
415-596-6262
Capitol Chvrolet in San jose
PhilGileno@gmail.com

Hi Phil,
Back in November I looked at leasing a Chevy Bolt with all options from Nisani Chevrolet in Culver City. It was 3 years, 15k miles per year, 2000 Down and payments of 299.00 per month tax inc. I didn’t pull the deal at the time for personal reasons. I went back into the same dealer last month. They weren’t having any of it or any explanation as to why the deal was now 469.00 per month with the same down and miles, etc. I kept asking why and they could provide no answer. Anyways I wasn’t able to come close to a deal but would still like to find a loaded Bolt in Dark Grey with all options in my price range. Thank You

yea to them “why” doesn’t really matter, they only get paid to sell a car, if your not buying it then they don’t get paid to explain it to you. Thats why I’m here lol, I hope the above post let you know why. If you miss a one time thing you can’t use that cost to judge you next move. Just access what is on the market thats in your budget.

well what next. I would like to lease a bolt in my price range with little down and 15k per year.

time to move on, its not possible. I’d like a bunch of cars to be in my price range that aren’t lol. I’d like a Tv for the price I saw on black friday. It happened, it passed. We’ve been selling out at the current price. Shopping to early can make you feel this way, best to just see what vehicles are available in your range or consider changing the range your in.

1 Like

Hi found this car in Burbank. 2k down, 15k per year, 36 mos payments of 496.16 plus tax. No current leases. IMG_18331|666x500

The reason is that Chevy is not providing the full 7500 federal rebate as part of down payment or residual value. Chevy pockets the difference, we pay more.

Chevy Phil is very honest. I would have given him my business, but Chevy is being greedy. We just leased our second Kia Soul. Easy, honest transaction at 300 amonth.

Phil,
Wondering if you can give a quote for both 2018 Volt and Bolt lease. I am looking for 36 months 12k miles .

this thread is for general questions, not for quotes. Email me directly to get a car from me.

PhilGileno@gmail.com

very greedy of them to loose money selling these… lol
But thanks for the recommendation.
You can lease one for around 13k and get back back 3k. so you pay 10k for 3 years in a 40k vehicle (after tax).
so your paying 25% which would be amazing, but everyone wants better because chevy lost even more money last year. compare with other 40k cars on the market, what can you lease for 10k?
Id say its still a good deal which is why we sell out.

1 Like

Then raise MSRP to make a profit. Problem is people will not pay 50k for this car. Supply and demand works both ways. If Chevy dealership can make more by charging over MSRP for high demand Corvettes, why should I feel bad that they are losing money on EV vehicles that enable that sale.

It is not my job as a consumer to ensure Chevy makes money, it it Chevy’s job to remain competitive and profitable.

All I can do is vote with my purchase, and I did.

You have a tough job, and appreciate that you tell us the truth. But the Chevy Bolt is a great car, but not a leaseable one at the moment. Just my opinion…YMMV

Hi ChevyPhil

Dealer just offered a deal on 2018 GMC Acadia. $43470 MSRP, $39791 sale price, $36491 after rebates. 36 month lease, 10k miles with $1500 down at signing. $399/month. Seems like a fair deal, thought? Does a Chevy Traverse lease better?? This offer was in 44221

im just saying if your looking for a 40k car under 13k total then your searching for a needle in a haystack, not a “good deal”. has it happend, sure it has and i love when it does. but it Is not common. across all companies, 40k vehicles dont go for 10k for a lease. Its just not how the math breaks down. you can dislike it and not want to pay a fair price but no one is being “greedy” is my point. These cars always sell out even so the consumers are speaking. We are selling every car we get within a few weeks. I advice you just look at a cheaper car. Volts are cheap right now. or a gas powered car.

1 Like

All I am saying is that it is not a 40k car. It is either a 40k car with a 7.5k fed rebate OR a 47.5k car with a 7.5 rebate. Chevy is not upfront about which one. Then consumer can decide if they want to pay. Some will, some won’t. I chose a competitor.

Thanks again for the dialogue.

@ChevyPhil

First, wow, the amount of time and effort you put into helping all of us is amazing. Thank you! I went to a dealership today to lease a 2018 Acadia Denali and they turned a few things upside down as it relates to what I know about leasing. Could you help me out with some numbers/ incentives?

VIN: 1GKKNPLS3JZ220217
Looking for Supplier pricing, 36mo lease. Excellent credit, the MF on my current volt lease was .0006. The dealership gave me a “rock bottom” MF today of .00128, thats still marked up, correct?

Also, website lists the following offers but dealer said none of them were compatible w/ lease. Zip is 67212

18-40AD:5 $1,200
18-40AAC:4 $1,000
18-40ABT:0 $1,000
18-40ACA:6 $750

Conquest $2,250 (eligible for this one)
Dealer Dis. $2,050
GMF Asst. $1,000

Rebate  Rate/MF Term	Residual
500	0.00188	    24	68
500	0.00188	    27	66
500	0.00128	    36	61
500	0.00128	    39	57
500	0.00163	    42	55
500	0.00163	    48	51
none of these are combinable, so which ever is the best you qualify for 

Name Rebate Code Expires
GM Lease Loyalty Towards Purchase Private Offer 2,500
Buick & GMC Select Nameplate Private Offer 2,250
GM Competitive Lease Private Offer 1,500
GM Targeted In Market Lease Cash Private Offer 1,500
GM Lease Loyalty towards Lease Private Offer 1,500

they told you the truth

Thank you! Maybe best to wait for a bit, or another market, but Kansas is in the middle of nowhere!

Thanks again for your help.

What numbers should I be looking at for an '18 Traverse LS or LT in Maryland. If you just answer California questions… then that’s understandable. And thanks either way!