Help Needed To Lease Volkswagen Atlas

Hi All! We’re looking to lease a 2019 Volkswagen Atlas SEL 4Motion + Navigation. MSRP is $45850, “Savings” advertised online is $7073 bringing the price to $38777. This is before any negotiations and we plan on putting $1500 down. I do not have a quote sheet yet but want to feel more prepared going into the dealership.

The leasehacker calculator is putting payments at $374 a month. However, I know this is just a starting point and I also live in Chicago where I believe there are extra taxes for leasing.

My question is, what ballpark should I be in to see if I’m getting a good deal with an offer? What negotiation tips do you have to help get a good deal? What should I say for talking points?

For some additional background, this will be our third dealer we’re going to for an almost identical car and price point. The first had an initial quote in the $800 range then came down to the high $500 range (we walked) and the second wouldn’t budge at $670 (we walked again).

Thanks!

Stop wasting time and gas. Just email all the dealers in your area.

1 Like

How did you get the numbers for the lease calculator? Did you check with edmunds and get the exact rebates and discounts for your area? The exact RV? The Base MF?

Once you have all that you will know exactly what you should be looking for based on straight msrp then you can push competing dealers based on how much they are willing to lower it - the rest should be relatively fixed values. If you post a link to your calculator people here will help you determine if you’ve got everything entered correctly.

I don’t believe Chicago has extra taxes for lease. Are you living in City and cook county.
MF shout be .00001 but you can confirm that from Edmunds. Get your lowest numbers you think you want to pay and email to multiple dealers. Some times dealers who are far away negotiate better. Don’t put any money down but if you have to use it to pay Fees and registration. Best is to put first month down as sign off. I have seen with VW dealers that when they advertise the selling price they include all discounts like college grad, military discounts etc. Once you go there they told you sorry you can’t get that discounted price because you not recent college grad or in military.

Unless something has changed very recently, the city of Chicago definitely charges extra taxes on a lease.

Might be true for city. But outside city it’s mostly 7.25% like Dupage or Will county.
City is a tax nightmare.

You can’t use a price advertised to come up with a accurate lease number, those prices include incentives that are only for purchases, especially on a vw, they always have dealer cash

3 Likes

Thanks! I don’t qualify for any of the incentives or rebates for this particular model. I’m assuming I need the exact RV and base MF from the dealer right? I will ask for that.

Thank you for the advice! Yes, city of Chicago Cook county. Chicago has an 8% use tax on leased vehicles on top of the sales tax. It applies to the down payment and monthly lease payments. I’m having trouble creating an account with Edmunds to find the MF but will keep trying!

No, you get them from edmunds forum, then use them to keep dealer honest and to populate the calculator.

2 Likes

Best numbers i have gotten for 2019 sel was 475 with 3200 at signing …effective $545 month sign and drive taxes included. I’m in ny

1 Like

But now the 2020s are hitting the dealerships so who knows. And the 21’s are coming in December from what I have heard…

1 Like

Gotcha. Thanks!

$545 is a lot lower than what we’ve been quoted here. No one seems to have ANY 2020’s on the lots…

Once you create the account, post your request at the end of this thread.

1 Like

The atlas is a nice vehicle and all, but I think for this kind of money an XC90 is better. Have you cross shopped other three row crossovers with similar features?

2 Likes

So helpful, thank you!

1 Like

Ok, here’s a link to the LH calculator. Did I do this right? This is assuming the sale price is the advertised price (though I fully realize that this could be a situation where the advertised sale price includes certain promotions that I don’t qualify for). Thanks!

Got 525/month sign and drive in NJ for 39/12. Qualified for a $500 partner discount. MSRP was 46734

1 Like

You have a few things wrong in your calculator. Over in Edmund’s they told you 53% RV on 39 months. You put 55% which is for 36 months. Also looks like your using default dealer fees, Gov fees, and taxes? You need to gather more info before you can get accurate numbers with the calculator.