Help! Majorly upside on a car, looking to lease into something that would dissolve the neg equity

When you roll in negative equity from a different lease/loan… sensing a theme?

1 Like

Ah. Nothing better than leveraging a $30k base Accord into a $50k base BMW. The neighbors will be impressed!

2 Likes

OP, is your mother able to get in and out of the Accord? I imagine her physical health may preclude her from getting easily into a coupe?

For what it’s worth… my old supervisor (who was 5’5" no less) had a 2005 Honda Coupe and he kept two back seats in there for his children. It was a tight squeeze, but I’ve known several guys to have coupes and back seats. Sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do, brother.

We HIGHLY encourage you to NOT roll over 8k in negative. Just keep the Accord a little while longer and if you can financially squeeze it, make principal payments to help with the previous negative equity rolled in.

I’ve been in this negative equity train before, myself. It’s not fun. Learn from other people’s mistakes, don’t roll equity that high in.

I definitely care about what I drive, but right now I drive a banged up RSX Type S. Payed close to nothing for it and it drives great. I’ve got my eye on the prize to get an S5 Sportback in two years. I’m doing what I’m doing now to be able to do that. You sound like a young guy, you can definitely wait the few years to slog through the Accord and finally get something worthy of your money. Just gotta keep your goals set straight.

BMW wouldn’t have sold 300k+ vehicles last year if they didn’t impress the neighborhs.

In fairness, when we needed a second car I came up with an objective list of characteristics and my wife came up with a list of brands we couldn’t look at cause she didn’t like them. I guess Madison Ave is really good at their job.

2 Likes

If the Honda will only be used to occasionally transport the child, just keep the Honda. It isn’t that hard to get a child into a car seat in a coupe, it is just something that you don’t want to do every day. 2 adults and a child in a car seat will fit easily.

Now that we know you have an RX350, this whole thread seems a bit silly.

Take a step back. You’re asking how to best make a bad financial decision because you may (once a month?) need to transport a child in a car where it is entirely possible, just not convenient. Is that convenience worth paying $250/month - the amount to payoff the negative equity?

Why not tell your mom, “Hey were taking your car to this appointment”. First world problems. I had convertible when my first born was born, it was actually pretty sweet. I’d just put the top down to put him in the back.

2 Likes

Or just swap cars with wife, when needed.

1 Like

Definitely first world problems. Don’t know how we survived with one little Civic when the dude has 2 SUVs in the family.

2 Likes

Don’t you know? It’s 2019, and everyone that is even thinking about having a child let alone has one ABSOLUTELY REQUIRES an SUV. This is just a fact. Everyone knows that children cannot be transported in anything other than an SUV. Via shame from neighbors and other peers, not driving children in an SUV will lead to extreme developmental disabilities and/or instant death.

Vehicle interior volume directly correlates to childhood happiness and success. 100% of Ivy League graduates were transported to/from elementary school in a 3 row luxury SUV. This is not a coincidence!!!

I am soooooo looking forward to when the SUV craze dies it’s inevitable death.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, even as a “car” guy I have to admit that it won’t die anytime soon. It just hits all the right boxes, especially the newer ones that also handle like a car.

1 Like

Off-topic, but I don’t have, want, know anyone with, or even like, kids, at all. But I still have a 3-row SUV. I fully admit that I am part of the problem. #Sorrynotsorry.

Sure three row SUVs drive better now but the same improvements in design have also trickled down to Sedans. I have an MDX with AWD and a 2018 Accord 1.5 touring. The MDX is supposed to be one of the better driving 3 row SUVS but it doesn’t come close to the Accord’s “driveability” even with it’s HP and transmission advantage (transmission is more important, power to weight ratios aren’t that different).

But I agree SUVs aren’t going anywhere. They provide space for families and drive better than ever before with all important ride height.

I am guilty too. I drive my son two days a week, I drive alone in the other five days. My dog does appreciate having the third row to herself though.

1 Like

not all SUVs are 3-row behemoths. The Stelvio handles better than all but maybe 2-3 sedans/cars I have owned, including the 330xi that replaced it. Now, granted, I’d call these smaller ones hatchbacks, but the market disagrees and calls them SUVs. So be it. I must therefore love some “SUVs.”

1 Like

We have a GLE for family duty; however, every single day I either drop off or pick up my 3-year-old in her car seat in the back of a Lexus RC 350 Coupe.

It can be done. Do I prolly look like a bozo strapping her in, whilst kneeling on the door sill? I suppose. But she enjoys the quick turns and the steering wheel that “looks like a smiley face, Daddy!”

1 Like

Yeah, but you do what you have to to make it work, right?

To me, it seems the OP has an obvious (and free) solution to the problem. And it seems like everyone agrees that’s the solution they should take…

2 Likes

We could get something more practical, and we will, as soon as the Carmax offer comes within spitting distance of my buyout. Which should be about May or so.

Well, I wouldn’t go as far as 3 row. I was thinking more like like Stelvio or RDX, that’s where I would draw the line.

We take Kia Soul with 1.6 motor on all vacations now. 4 people and a pit, just not packing too much crap.

1 Like

That id 100% agree with. RDX drove really well when I tested it a few months ago.

That’s because they can’t get the minivan vibe right.

Sooner or later my 2 kids will get older, and my parents may live closer to me and they’re getting older, and I’ll be looking at trading my Outback for a minivan.

As a matter of fact, minivans are like the creme de la creme of car world right now as you’ll barely get a good deal on them, lease or finance. Because dealerships know if you are looking at a minivan than nothing else will replace that. I don’t feel their driveability is totally up there yet, maybe if they start pushing out electric vans with lower center of gravity’s. I do find the van much more convenient vs suv when it comes to loading kids, even the littlest ones, I see other parents at the playground with those wide open doors and lots of clearance to do what they need to do, the 3rd row in SUV doesn’t really work out all that well.

OP. I think the concensus is there, you already have 2 other cars and the Accord isn’t a money pit itself, why increase your family’s liability column when you don’t need to. Families work together with the assets we all share, and if that means car swapping from time to time than it’s gotta happen. No mention of why your wife can’t drive the Accord either, hopefully it’s not one of those this car is yours so hands off kind of things.

1 Like