Headrest Cushions - Maintenance Question

While I think I know what I want, I have been slowly creating a candidate list for my next vehicle, and it seems like these head cushions (front and/or back) are becoming more popular in luxury cars.

Are they generally removable/replaceable?

Even with better-than-average personal hygiene, it would seem like they’d darken and wrinkle even further just from the natural oil everyone has in their skin and hair.

They look saggy even when the car is new, so I have to believe that in under a year they’d look like the scrotum on a corpse.

1 Like

Most of these that I have seen have been aftermarket add ons, making them very much removable/replaceable. I can’t speak to the S class ones show though. Might be worth seeing if you can find the part number on one of the MB parts websites.

1 Like

I saw a bunch of aftermarket ones on Amazon. That’s a good approach for OEM, thank you.

Looking again, these also look like airbags that have been deployed.

They might be comfortable, but they gross me out. Like the headrest on an airplane seat.

There might be a more structured option that gets you the effect you’re looking for without looking like a deflated Australian coin purse.

2 Likes

Came on my X7 - I detached them and stored them away for turn in. The kids figured out how to remove them and were whipping each other with the snaps in the back seat…

3 Likes

Do the headrests look okay with the cushions removed, or does it look like a scab that’s been peeled off? :slight_smile:

They are literally just “Alcantara” cushions that snap into place over the standard leather headrests, so no it looks totally fine. I note they only come in the middle row in the X7 anyways, which is a bit weird.

1 Like

Thanks for that image. Could have gone entire life without hearing something like that

4 Likes

I’m currently in the process of selling my aunt’s S63 which has these cushions. Yes they are detachable, there’s just a loop on the back which attaches behind the headrest.

1 Like

Wasn’t that part redundant?

They are replaceable at least on the BMW and yes you can order them as well. A friend of mines had one missing. It did take the dealer two months to send it to him.

1 Like

If you’re willing to clean them every few months, I bet they wouldn’t darken. Not sure about the wrinkling part, though.

Are the cushions in the 2nd pic stock? They look really mis-matched to me.

I grabbed both of those photos from Google Images to make it easier to explain what I was asking about.

Not sure if those are stock or not, or even which vehicle that is (although the leather looks like the S Class that’s obviously the car in the first pic).

They just look stupid and unnatural to me, not entirely unlike when you go into a furniture store and it looks like someone went Bruce Lee on all the pillows.

Even in a Maybach they look like Grandpa’s sack.

12:55

1 Like

Ah Maybach, a name that evokes old-world aristocracy and coach-built elegance.

I’m reading now that you can get these in the EQS. :joy:

1 Like

I suspect it’s a measure of planned obsolescence: you buy the car new and once the headrest looks like… well you know… you junk/trade the car and get a new one. What self respecting billionaire would want a Mayballsack?

1 Like

Damn I love these OEM!

Anyone familiar with any good cheapo aftermarket’s? :slight_smile: