Have you ever been “ghosted”?

Have you ever been “ghosted”?

“Ghosted”, Meaning - when someone cuts off all communication without explanation. I am (was?) in the middle of EMAIL negotiating a lease on a 2022 Lexus RX 350 (3y/7,500, No Down) using my knowledge gained on this site. Initial dealer proposal was full MSRP, MF .00245 (inflated). $1,500 Lexus Lease Cash. Dunno RV.

Using the LH calculator, I counter with 3% off MSRP and ACTUAL MF (.00145) and RV 60% and above discount.

They counter at full MSRP, MF .00245 and Lease cash and Costco $350 discount.

I counter at full MSRP with actual MF .00145 and RV with $1,500 lease cash and Costco deal – Hell, seems fair! And mentioned that if they can’t do it, I might wait for the new Genesis GV70s coming in next door in January.

Then nothing. :neutral_face: Followed up a few times. Nothing.

Seems like when they can’t “run their game on the uninformed”; they don’t want to play. :thinking:

Why was this variable thrown in?

1 Like

Inventory is tight, money and buyers willing to spend said money are abundant. Simple economics.

It is a seller’s market. Plain and simple.

2 Likes

Yup, many times. The best is when they reach back out asking if you’re interested in a vehicle after completely disappearing mid negotiation.

It happens. Cut bait and move on.

2 Likes

I did not want to look desperate for the car but mentioned I would drive over the next day if they wanted to do the deal. I had test drove it so it was not like i was a passive buyer.

I am wondering if they have another buyer they are “working” to their liking. Perhaps, less informed.

One piece of advice - When I negotiate via email with a dealer, after making my initial offer, I usually only counter once before walking away.

What was the deal on the GV70?

2 Likes

Personally, I think you’re overthinking it. To me, that makes you look less serious rather than less desperate.

6 Likes

Thanks. Good advice. I don’t have a deal in the Genesis but learned that major shipments were arriving in the area in January.

I was wondering about that just as i hit “SEND”. Oh…and i OVERTHINK everything LOL! :crazy_face:

1 Like

Don’t be surprised if they sell for above MSRP.

It should not matter to you. At the end of the day, you have no car. Move on and focus on your next deal.

2 Likes

Happens to me a fair amount when shopping. Just move to the next dealer. I usually find one that’s reasonable to work with, if the offer is realistic for the market (i.e. you wont get a response if you demand 10% off on an in stock m340i right now)

If you have never been ghosted that you have surely gotten some bad deals.

7 Likes

Hell, at least you have a reason. You told them if they can’t do it, you’re going with a Hyundai. They obviously gave you their answer.

I, on the other hand, have agreed with several Ford dealers to pay MSRP for a Mach-e and then get ghosted. Seriously. “Sir, we want MSRP.” “OK, take my money.” SILENCE. It is so damned weird!

1 Like

What gets me is this is a profession auto dealership for a luxury brand. they can at least respond with a final offer refusal and not just stop communicating like some pouting 10-year-old. WTF… this is not junior high school.

I agreed to their terms but just asked for the actual MF.

Let’s not get crazy, it’s a Lexus store (doughnuts in service does not convey luxury status - they’re a premium Japanese brand) and your sales person probably sold cell phones immediately before cars.

They made you an offer, ignored your counter, and won’t think about it again until the CRM reminds them - you did after all say you’d wait until Genesis (neé Hyundai) has more cars sometime next month. And now they’re living rent free in your head, so the gambit worked.

You can sulk until they contact you again to see if you got their last/best/final offer, or you can be married to something else by then. Your choice.

2 Likes

You went from being perceived as serious buyer to a tire kicker in just a few keystrokes. No reason to bring it outside variables that make it look like you are not ready to pull the trigger.

2 Likes

It’s really about leverage, to be honest. It’s a sellers market and dealers hold the cards.