Has anyone had any luck getting an Omega x Swatch Moonwatch at retail?

Are you sure it wasn’t an actual Speedmaster Pro? There’s absolutely no way someone paid $5500 for an Omega Swatch.

5 Likes

Yes I didn’t realize there was 2 separate things.

And that right there is why I will now never buy an actual Speedmaster anymore. I was considering getting one at some point since every serious watch collector has a Speedmaster, but Omega cheapened their brand too much by making a $6600 watch and a $270 watch look identical.

2 Likes

I read this a lot with watch buyers, wanting to buy something that will “retain its value.”
I think this is a mistake when buying a watch. You end up with something on your wrist that others care for more than you. That’s not worth it, IMO.

2 Likes

I don’t think they’re mutually exclusive; the key is find something you like which also holds its value, and there are many, many models of widely-varying designs and styles that fit that bill. My collection consists mostly of Tags and Breitlings, which while not worthless, certainly aren’t going to auction for 6-figure sums at any point in the future. My tastes have matured over the years to smaller cases and more subtle designs, which also tend to be features of watches that do hold and increase in value (now if only I can get that Daytona or GMT Master Destro allocation…)

2 Likes

While I can respect that. I’d slightly disagree. For anyone that has an interest or follows watches, they aren’t confusing a real Speedy made of steel or precious metal with a bioceramic/plastic one that has a different dial and looks slightly different.

Maybe not an apples to apples comparison, but look at Rolex. There isn’t a more faked watch in the world than a Submariner. Not only are there an infinite amount of fakes, so many other manufacturers design watches that look similar to subs. That doesn’t devalue a sub. If anything, it creates more hype and value in the real thing. That’s what Omega was aiming for too. To some degree, I think it’s been successful.

I’d also agree with others, get what makes you happy and you like. I’ve owned a half-dozen higher end Swiss watches. I’m not getting rich off any of them. I buy what I like.

1 Like

Yours for the low price of 197k. retail was over 300k. For the “eyes wide shut” party goers.

Can check out the video on insta if you want to see how the complications work. :joy:

3 Likes

man college was the best

2 Likes

Not my favorite Kubrick film, but probably his most underrated one. I assume at that price, nobody comes to inspect there are white landscaping rocks in your front yard, and a crystal bowl just inside the front entry way?

Reminds me, I don’t think I’ve watched The Ice Storm in over 20 years…

I bet the version that didn’t get 20 mins cut out would tie in that film a lot better. I imagine those parts are what it was missing, I know Stanley wasn’t happy with the cuts he was forced to make by the studio. If Stanley considered that movie to be his best, then there’s def something missing there.

The CT in me finds all of it way too suspicious with his death being right after that film as well…

Room 237 was also very interesting.

The time to do that was when that movie was in post, not almost a week after the premier.

He died 6 days after the initial screening. Not the public release. He was arguing with WB about the cuts too. He was 70 and a huge chain smoker most of his life. So totally COULD have been natural but I’ll always be suspicious of timing when it comes to deaths/motives.

I only buy watches that I like (or think I will) and since there are so many watches I like, I take resale into consideration. I only plan on keeping only 10 watches at a time, so I want the ability to move into something else without taking a big loss until I find the 10 watches I never want to replace. I have also bought some watches I thought I would like and I end up selling them after a few months, so I try to be smart about the dollars going into the watch box.

If you ignore the straps, I think a lot of people will get confused at just a glance. Same general layout and color scheme apart from the sub-dial spacing. And to me the difference with Rolex is that Omega authorized someone to plagiarize their design with their branding. If someone made a speedy knockoff, then whatever. Same with a sub or GMT. I would have been okay if Swatch copied the design without Omega’s branding, such as with what Tudor does with Rolex. To me, it just ruins Omega’s branding when it is put on an inferior, mass-market product. It would be like if Ferrari made a Fiat with a 458’s design and logo, but Fiat’s quality, parts, workmanship, etc. Just taints the brand IMO.

6 Likes

The side by side is crazy.

For $250 it’s a great great watch.

Is it my beloved Dark Side of the Moon, no. Is it very wearable, yes.

2 Likes

Since this is now WatchHackr here, my favorite recent pickup:

1 Like

I guess that’s kind of my point…I’m not worried about what others think. You make a fair point though. Swatch owns Omega, but if you’ve ever held both watches, the dial similarity is where it ends. There is a night and day difference between the two in every other aspect. There’s a reason why one is $250 and the other is $4-5k plus. Also, there doesn’t seem to be any impact on the desirability or price of a real Speedmaster because of the Swatch. If anything, it seems to be bringing in new customers that want the real thing. While my comparison to Rolex isn’t apples to apples, because Rolex isn’t authorizing anyone, besides Tudor, to make similar watches, it’s still happening. Look at the Timex GMT compared to the Rolex…at passing glance, people aren’t really going to see a difference.

I’m also biased though…:joy: But again, I buy watches I like. Sure resale value is considered, but I’m not buying watches that are going to tank in value or make me rich. You make valid points though. Just my two cents. Good luck in your next watch purchase. It can be an addicting…and expensive…hobby.

Always a fan of Arabic numerals on dials.

1 Like

All good points.

To be honest, I first wanted one when it came out. But when I saw one in person at a Swatch store, I realized it is NO Omega Speedmaster. Unlike the side by side pictures on the Internet, in reality it looks extremely cheap in person and for 300 bones, one can acquire a MUCH better timepiece if you can put resale value aside.

1 Like

Wouldn’t mind one of these at msrp for daily use as no worry on messing up

Have a a Christopher ward c1 bel canto in Rosa on pre-order I’m very excited for.

I like their stuff, but am annoyed theyre moving to smaller and smaller cases. They used to do a gorgeous bronze trident in 42, but now only in 38-39