Has anyone else had this happen with Equityhackr?

Hi everybody

Recently, I tried to sell my daily car with Equityhackr/Autoleaseninjas. Given that GM Financial bars third party lease payoffs, I figured Equityhackr would be the perfect option to get out of it.

With that in mind, I entered all of my vehicle’s info into the site. It’s a 2024 Chevy Trax 2RS with about 1,800 miles on it. A few days later, they emailed me with an offer of $24,500. I decided to move forward and accept it. I was then contacted by a gentleman who was pretty nice, and requested my driver’s license, registration, pictures all around the car, etc. All the standard stuff. I happily obliged.

I provided and signed everything they asked me to. After that, I was told I would receive a purchase agreement. It came a few days later, but when it did, I was ready to sign. I opened it up to see that the agreed purchase price would be about $500 less than we originally discussed.

I checked every single document and conversation we had prior to this. Every single time a purchase price was mentioned, the number was $24,500.

Fortunately, $500 won’t change my life and I am very grateful for that. I then received an email from someone named Alberto stating that there are fees associated with terminating my lease that has caused them to “revise their offer”. I emailed them back saying that’s not a great way of going about business, and that nobody should be informed of a last minute amendment on the contract itself. I also mentioned that I had delivered on every single part of the agreement that I was obligated to.

I was then emailed back by another person named Matthew. Matthew wrote a long email that started out nice, but quickly turned condescending. Out of respect for privacy and confidentiality in conversations, I won’t post it. However, throughout this email, Matthew essentially said that the value of the car was not brought down due to any fees, but because market information was limited on a 2024 model.

In addition to this, he said it’s hard to put a number on a car without seeing it in person.

1. They don’t have anywhere to bring the vehicle in for an appraisal.
  2. That would hold water if the difference in value was due to anything related to the vehicle’s condition (ex: tire wear, scratches, stains)
  3. They can check market value on the car without seeing it in person.
    Then, he said that he should be paying around $23,000, but he is giving me $24,000 to avoid putting me in a negative equity situation. He phrased it in a way that sounded like he was doing me a favor by not lowering his offer even more after lowering it the first time.

Maybe I am crazy, but I think that’s an unethical way of doing business. I won’t be selling my vehicle to them. At this point, I’d just rather keep it as a run around car in case anyone in my family needs something to get around with.

Has anyone else had a similar experience, or is this a one off?

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Auto Ninjas (Formally Auto Lease Ninjas) Review Page. We Buy Cars & Lease Returns - North East, FL, SoCal