GMF no longer allowing 3rd party buyouts

BMW’s internal memo says the new policy is to be in effect until Sept 30th, 2021. So there is some hope that they go back to the old ways, although if I were a betting man I’d also say the plug pull is permanent.

1 Like

I have no idea why they havent already (besides the fact that CDJR generally speaking always seems to be behind the 8 ball :blush: ).

1 Like

Ford/Lincoln and Volvo as well.

Can you link to the documentation from those companies stating this?

They are already doing it for a while. Nothing new.

Volvo allows 3rd party buy outs by most reports, as long as it’s for the same amount as the personal buy out. Ford has always allowed them, just not during the last 6 months.

The point I was trying to make in my earlier post is that GM and nmac are the only two groups where we have seen actual written documentation from the company stating their current policy, rather than having to rely on inconsistent 3rd party reports. (See TFS and reports by vroom)

2 Likes

My brother just wanted to sell his Expedition, 20 months left on the lease and only the Ford Dealer that sold the car can buy it without having to pay taxes. No other ford dealer can buy it either.

there’s lots of available equinox’s

Not sure this is completely true. After reading this thread I rushed to my local CarMax for a quote on my Equinox. Got a ridiculously high quote.

Carmax rep had to spend over an hour on hold to talk with someone at GM Financial, but once they did, the GMF rep said the third party buyout quote was good until July 8th (which is when my next payment is due).

Maybe they made an exception since the buyout was requested prior to July 1st? Just thought I’d update everyone in my situation there might be a little more time.

Whenever they provide the buyout number it’s always a 10 day quote I think it’s just their standard terminology. I would not rely on that at all. I would sell ASAP if I were you.

1 Like

Whew, I just missed the deadline. Vroom finally picked up my dad’s Sierra today, after 2 months of hell negotiating with them. But hey, if they stick to their quote it’s an extra $1800 over everyone else.

1 Like

Sell now. After July 1, only a GM dealer can buy a GM Financial lease. Carmax and other third parties are out after that.

3 Likes

Planning on selling it before the 1st just to be sure. The problem is, of course, what the hell do I move into. Even when I roll all the positive equity into a new lease, I’m paying way more than I’m used to.

2 Likes

Whatever you do, do not put money down on a new lease. Get your money in the bank. A wrangler 4xe is a good candidate right now. You can buy a 2020 Trax with 21% rebate from GM plus dealer discounts and incentives.

Always good to have an old backup beater vehicle on hand!

1 Like

If you get the vehicle under GM Family discount or supplier discount, the minimum retention period is 6 months under the program.

Currently in the same predicament and why I can’t sell

Not at the same price I am paying right now which is $108/month excluding DMV fees.

Didn’t know that if you had supplier discount that you had to hold onto the lease for 6 months…

A lot of folks here had supplier and I think were still able to sell

Inconsistent reports like this are the point of my post. We see a variety of answers come from the different banks, and it often seems to vary based on who you talk to. What I haven’t seen from Ford/Lincoln is written documentation from Ford that says one way or the other. That has been posted for GM and NMAC.

1 Like

Yea I’m wondering how strict it is

Starting July 1st, GM won’t be accepting 3rd Party (any non GM dealers) Lease buy outs for all GM units.

We were told to expect all manufacturers to follow suit. BMW recently stopped, with us at least…and Toyota/lexus, honda/acura, and nissan/infiniti are also still a no go