GMC Hummer EV... Reservation/Ordering/Delivery Discussion

I’m pretty sure crabwalk only works in low speeds, and do we even know if that will not run amok of some DOT regulation?

Wont launch give people whiplash?

It’s a nice looking rig. The 100K+ price tag knocks it out of most peoples reach. One pay 36/10K anyone?

Model refresh? Thing is a complete redesign, and the msrp thing is only until supplies get inline with demand, it’s only a matter of time until some dealer has too many and drops their pants

My 2020 Sierra Denali was $74K and a new Yukon can get up to mid $80K range. The least expensive Hummer SUV trim, the EV2 has a MSRP of $79K. I don’t see the pricing being so out of line from the current offerings that are selling well. Yes, they will make more expensive 3 motor models, but I am fine with a 2 motor design and 620HP.

It’s a cosmetic redesign but the drivetrain is almost identical to previous models. There is nothing revolutionary about the new Yukon or Tahoe, they are not more capable from the previous models, no killer must have features, they just look different.

1 Like

Here’s the commercial link. 3 mins

3 Likes

The Denali trim level is not exactly within reach for most people either.

Most changes in auto industry are evolutionary in nature. It’s a very risky proposition to take your cash-cow vehicles and start releasing revolutionary changes.

Notice how they are bringing back the hummer brand for the EV and not releasing Yukon EV. As much as it is about branding, and excitement building, there is an element of hedging in there. If there are major issues, or it flops, they don’t damage their existing money makers.

1 Like

Completely new sheet metal, new interior, ditched the solid rear axle, longer in length. I get that the basics are the same, but it’s a lot more than a refresh. The Tahoe now has usable interior room, so I’d say it’s a very different vehicle. Completely disagree on the usability, tahoe way more functional. Gm keeps those drive trains around because they are durable, look at the 6.0 LS(5.3’s bigger brother), is the most swapped motor out there and good for 300,000+ miles. They have ditched the 5.3 on some of the half tons in favor of the turbo 4, be interesting to see if it’s as durable, I’m doubtful

2 Likes

$100 is an easy commitment for just about anyone. I suspect part of the reason is to get the reservation numbers high for PR reasons (out of the Tesla playbook). And I suspect a number of reservation holders are hoping to arbitrage. No harm in trying, basically

That said, awesome rig, love just about everything about it. A bit outside of the price range I’d consider at least in the next few years (#twokidsindaycare). I’d probably end up with a lease on a Sahara 4xe as a consolation prize.

Sharing some actual live photos of the pickup & SUV from a VIP event that leaked online.

7 Likes

Ooo old school tape deck buttons and a step gate!

1 Like

This is not what I thought it would look like for some reason. Either the pictures are screwy, or it looks like “baja” type truck. I mean based on people standing next to it it’s normal height, but the look is just weird.

And the way the main screen is looks like a handle will pop-out and you’ll be able to take it with you like an 80s / 90s radio so it won’t be stolen. It’s like a police toughbook lost a keyboard. I can see what they were going for, but not for me.

1 Like

May just be me, but it looks like a mooshed Avalanche. Needs to fit in those condo garages.

There are 2 different Hummers in that pic btw. The normal one with the glass back and the ‘avalanche’ one.

1 Like

I doubt that anyone is going to be using these for actual work, but I appreciate that they at least considered the possibility and used real buttons. This way somebody wearing gloves can do stuff without taking then off.

that’s assuming they are buttons and not touch sensitive surfaces made to look like buttons.

You could be right. They do appear to look like they are functional though.

Or… they kept up the pretense that it will be used for work.

1 Like

Well I suppose that depending on federal/state incentives and business writeoffs that someone could at least pretend that it’s for work!

1 Like

No deposit placed here, but it has certainly gained my attention. I will be curious to test drive and see what eventual numbers look like. I’m still not ecstatic about this new electric trend. :nauseated_face: