GM Lease Return Question

Yep-my '17 Challenger Hellcat is listed at $53,000 they bought it for $46,000 if they get $49-50K they got some profit there… I make $1000 back and no hassle in changing new tires, dispo. fee, wear/tear etc plus my insurance refund and monthly payments $5K till Feb 2021 will go into savings for that C8 Corvette payment hehe

So my Bolt lease ends on 8/5, and much like everybody else right now, wasn’t able to get a pre inspection due to covid. So looking through the GM guide I noted that two tires needed to be replaced (which I have done). I also unfortunately hit a flying object on the freeway a while back which left two deep scratches that are less than 4 inches, as well as what appears to be a few lighter scratches (6 inches or so).

I attempted to have the scratches (not the deep ones) worked out, but it appears the paint actually cracked which appear like scratches. If the body shop is telling me it’s $500 to repaint the entire front bumper, should I just do it and avoid a potentially higher charge from GM when they inspect the car? Unsure what they would try to charge for something like this. Tried taking a pic of the damage but the cracked area isn’t coming through.

Nobody can say with certainty what will happen upon turn-in. That’s especially true absent some good photos.

If you haven’t looked at the GM lease turn-in guide, you are allowed

1. Fewer than 4 dings (less than 2”) per panel.
  2. 1 dent or 2 scratches (less than 4”) per panel

As I mentioned in my post above, By my estimate - I failed those criteria but was not charged anything

Makes sense and I have reviewed the return guide to confirm what is allowed. I am definitely outside the allowable damage on the front bumper, but unsure what GM typically charges for 1. Some additional scratches beyond the allowable limit or 2. The cost to repaint the bumper if that’s what they would deem is necessary to adequately repair.

I just turned in my GM lease earlier this month with front bumper damage and the Autovin charge is VERY reasonable. I had a 2-3 inch crack and missing hole cover piece and they only charged me $105 which is far cheaper than I could have gotten it fixed for. I rolled the dice and turned it in without fixing after reading about them being very lax/reasonable on excess wear charges, especially with bumpers.

With GMF, I’d just turn it in. They’re very lenient on damages and when they do charge it seems to be very reasonable.

1 Like

The black thumb of doom !

1 Like

I agree with @chrishs2000 that the damage charges (if charged at all) are likely lower than what you could pay for it out of pocket at your local shop. That said, I’m not responsible if they charge you 1100.00 to repaint your bumper either :grin:

Thanks, that approach definitely makes things less stressful leading up to lease return. If I have a rock chip that is exactly at the 1/2 inch limit (the rock chip is smaller, but a super thin line coming off the chip makes it total 1/2 inch combined), would it make sense just paying to have it repaired or take the same approach and run the risk GM might say I have to pay for window replacement.

I feel like this question has already been answered several times in this thread…

Does your auto comprehensive insurance policy not fix chips for free?

1 Like

You can also consider Dr Color Chip, it’s not magic but makes a difference.

I would definitely check, and agree with you. I had one that was attempted to be fixed, made the crack worse and they waived my deductible because I tried to have it fixed first. That said, it may not be a crack that can be fixed if it has a hairline crack coming from the chip like he said. Worth a shot though since we haven’t seen the crack.