Getting out of Volvo lease

Volvo: " I have altered the deal. Pray I don’t alter it any further."

Hackrs: “This deal is getting worse all the time”

I’m in the same boat! A few weeks ago VCFS said they would release the title to a 3rd party but I called today and the rep told me 3rd party buyouts are absolutely not allowed. I also called Carmax who told me before that they could buy my car but starting this month, the couldn’t buyout Volvo leases anymore. Tesla also thought they could just buyout my lease when I placed an order with them so I was just supposed to trade my car in but today I got an email from them saying they can’t take my XC40 anymore. So my only options are to buy it out myself then resell or request for early termination and see how much that will cost me. They said it would take 2-3 business days to get a response from management to see if they would waive the ETFs so I have to call them next Tuesday or Wednesday. I really want out of this lease because it’s an all around bad deal (gas $$$$$) and my Model Y will be ready for pick-up next week too. Hoping I get the same response as you did and will be able to just return my car to a Volvo dealership. Fingers crossed.

Good luck. Just FYI they told me it would take 2-3 days to get back to me about the fee to terminate early and they ended up calling me back the same afternoon

She told I had to call them specifically not them call me… They’re so inconsistent. I hope they call ASAP.

Anyone in a similar situation with a XC90, message me before you return/end your lease.
I’m looking to buy (2017/2018) and dealership prices are crazy.

Update! I was told Monday 08/02 that I could return my car to the dealership, sign the odometer statement and get the name of the person I left the keys with, without any any early termination fees. Tuesday 08/03, I dropped off the car at dealership, signed paperwork and took note of the associates’ name. Wednesday 08/04, I called VCFS to let them know I dropped the car off and gave them the name of the associate. I had to be transferred three times for them to fully entertain me because it seemed unusual to them that I am being allowed to end my lease 6 months early. Thursday 08/05, I log into my VCFS account and there is no trace that I ever leased a 2019 Volvo XC40 from them. Seems sus but as long as they don’t come sending me any bills in the mail, I think I’m in the clear! I bet they’re gonna make so much money reselling that car… It was a great car in great condition!

1 Like

Did you have to pay for anything or just a straight drop off and walk away?

I paid nothing. I went to the dealership and said I had a lease return. I signed the odometer statement and took note of the name of the person I left keys with. Walked away with nothing… Missed out on 5k equity tho cause Volvo won’t accept 3rd party cheques. The car was removed from my online acct 2 days after I left the car at the dealership. Kinda feel weird not having any sort of formal written document or communication from VCFS that I’m off the hook.

3 Likes

Im trying to do something similar on my Volvo. I have 7 months left on my lease. I called to enquire about early least termination and the representative said I would have to pay the remaining payments on the lease… what exactly did you say to them on the phone because I feel it might be dependent on who you get ans the questions you ask???

I told them to send a request to management to see if i can return my vehicle without penalty since it was worth more than what i still owed. The rep put in a request and I got a decision 2 business days later.

1 Like

What state are you in?

How was your vroom experience?

I haven’t used Vroom this time, because I got a local dealer to match their offer.

However, I have sold 2 cars to Vroom in the past and have nothing to complain about it.

Returned my XC60 last week – VCFS gave their blessing to do an early termination with no out of pocket. Jumped on it because we are about 4k over miles (compared to what we should have at this point), had its 2nd set of pads/rotors shot, and VA property taxes were added to my Oct bill and payoff. Loved the car but the thing had multiple trim pieces fall off starting at 600 miles among other computer or quality issues.

The finance guy did mention that some of their CT customers who did an early termination got billed for property taxes separately, afterwards (happened to my parents’ Acura lease previously), but I don’t think thats the case with VA since the payoff was equal to residual + remaining payments + property tax + dispo fee. Their auction value was determined to be approx $450 higher than my payoff.

Just waiting for MSD refund now.

2 Likes

Yeah, looks like they do include VA property tax in payoff. At least you got billed for the actual property tax and not estimated, which is always at least twice as high as the actual.

1 Like

How many months did you have left on your lease?

Due to “constraints” I’m waiting in line to order the wife a High Country Tahoe because I can Family Plan it and get $7K off but I don’t have control of when the order goes in. It would be nice to turn the Volvo in early without penalty, though it isn’t the end of the world if we have to take the lease to full term.

We had about 14 months left on the lease and were slightly over the scheduled mileage (around 25k miles vs 22k miles we should’ve been at), but the payoff was higher because VA taxes lease on the full purchase price upfront and was rolled in, and VA property taxes were already billed for a bit over $1500.

That’s great with 14 months left.

I will have 3-5 months left when the Tahoe arrives. I will have to give VCFS a call when the time comes.

what do I Have to ask when I call?

Ask for an early termination quote. They’ll ask you for the condition and exact mileage of the car and tell you to call back in 2 days (I requested twice over the course of a few months- first time they called me after 1 day, second time I called after 2 days)

1 Like