Gas Shortage on East Coast

What is this gas shortage I’m seeing over social media? Major pipeline on east coast is apparently shut down causing gas shortages up and down the east coast from MA down to FL…

Apparently a major cyber attack. The Carolinas were hit hard.

Can we expect $7 a gallon fuel or is this some BS?

$7 a gallon??? Nah. That is not happening. Even in the worse scenario maybe 4.5 but $7? Nope.

Worst case scenario, it’ll still be cheaper than CA gas.

11 Likes

I’d expect $5-6 soon, IT guy here who would be one to called in.

So, this morning Colonial Pipeline’s website was pulled offline. Load balancer still there, back end app / web server isn’t.

What this means: They had access to EVERYTHING. IT is still shutting down systems. Mandiant or another cyber sec firm is likely on-site, and this is just the beginning. They’re shutting down each system one by one to likely rebuild.

This might make Maersk look small. Small stations will run dry. Larger ones should be able to have a steady supply, but expect $5-7 this summer unless they call about 1,000 people in like my and have ironclad backups off-site using Veeam or another B&R system.

EDIT: Maersk URL, biggest cyber shutdown from a ransomware. Basically all of Colonial Penn’s systems are ‘dirty’ with hackers inside for an unknown time.

US infrastructure has been targeted awhile with people asleep at the wheel.

One example, people got paid $500 to give their AD / VPN credentials to a ‘startup’ company that was actually a cybercrime front that enabled persistent access to a ton of fortune 500’s and security systems.

So stupid employee #A gives their info and password up and gets paid $500 one time + $25 per month it works. Cyber criminals auction it off on the darkweb and advertise the credentials and what access it has until someone buys it.

Someone buys it and laterally moves from a small-end user account and gets to an AD controller or even just monitoring system, and plants some custom ransomware coded to evade AV.

No SentinelOne or DarkTrace (AI / heuristics) and the entire company is affected, and has to shut down every system and rebuild.

If they have backups off-site that weren’t affected and hire an army of IT engineers you can maybe expect end of the week. If not, we’re in for a long summer.

By the fact they just took their website down this morning means they’re still shutting down systems and rebuilding one by one.

I’m personally filling up a few 5 gallons today, and damn glad I have a Tesla on order.

It hit $4.29 yesterday when #gasshortage was trending on Twitter. I guessed $4.50 by this summer.

If they don’t get things restored by the end of the week expect $5-6 very soon.

1 Like

LoL… should be fun fueling a V8 this summer :weary:

7 Likes

If it’s state sponsored, it is cyber warfare and our response should be extremely swift. I don’t care if it’s Russia or China or whomever. An attack on our electric grid gas etc is an act of war.

2 Likes

Had the article pop up yesterday I didn’t read it thoroughly but said gas prices shouldn’t be severely impacted, regardless gas prices always rise for summer time on increased travel.

On the news last night they said the will make up for the pipeline shutdown at least partially, with additional tanker trucks.

1 Like

So far it doesn’t appear to be state sponsored but it’s emanating from Russia.

Has had no effect on oil futures. So maybe a short pop in pricing by station gauging but until futures rise there won’t be any significant price increases.

oil futures are not fully correlated with the price and supply of gasoline. crude is only a raw material that goes into the production of gasoline. refining capacity and other factors are more important.

2 Likes

Oh for sure. But I would expect if this was a major disruption wti will still spike. Right now it doesn’t seem to be pricing that way.

Only time I’ve seen $6 gas was at the Death Valley gas station back in 2012 lol

Heard from some friends on the Florida panhandle that there are lines at gas stations this week. Not sure if they actually have a shortage already or if people are panic buying. I was on the road last week and saw prices relatively consistent up the east coast with no lines at the pumps.

1 Like

I haven’t seen any lines or anything in central Fl, although I don’t frequent gas stations all that much anymore

1 Like

Yeah I think its isolated to that area. I haven’t heard of any issues from family in the Tampa/Naples areas.

One of the many gifts of the SPR

I did post this a couple days ago in the Shortages thread because I do expect within weeks, dealerships will stop delivering cars with a full tank.

This. It’s just a low level group that makes a 20% cut or so from the actual upstream programmers of the remote access trojan / ransomware and real crew.

1 Like

Don’t expect a strong response from our admin: https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1391800780869541889?s=20

1 Like