FYI: Polestar 2 is in NYC this weekend

If anyone is gonna be in or around lower Manhattan between Thursday and Sunday, Volvo is going to have the Polestar 2 on display at the Oculus between 9 AM and 9 PM each day. I pass through there daily for work so I’ll probably stop by to check it out Thursday or Friday, depending on how crowded it is and whether or not I feel like taking a later train home that night.

5 Likes

Interesting post given your username. Planning any devious acts?

Haha… its actually in reference to the movie The Warriors. And trust me, the Oculus/World Trade complex, especially during busy tourist seasons might be the worst place in the world to attempt any shenanigans!

I smooched all over it when it was in San Diego back in August- it’s worth checking out. I’m in NYC now but headed home for weekend / back Monday otherwise I’d stop by.

1 Like

Well she’s here, still under wraps when I passed through this morning though.

2 Likes

Seems pretty nice, although no leather on the display model (Will be an option). This is apparently one of only a couple of prototypes in the US, so they let me poke around a bit but its obvious they don’t want you to take advantage so I didn’t. I did get some pictures though.

6 Likes

This might be my next car. Hopefully in three years they’ll have the distribution model sorted and they’ll lease as aggressively as the rest of the volvos.

3 Likes

Very nice!
Glad to see big screens are in, piano dash out.
That center divider where the shifter is located is overkill.

1 Like

Damn, not bad, but starting at 63k. Going to be hard to compete with the model 3 at that price point.

1 Like

I believe there’s a 45k base model coming, but it won’t be available until later.

1 Like

Correct…here is some info from IEVs…
“Starting price of $45,000 (39,900 EUR) but this low-cost version will be delayed to prioritize the higher-priced variants.

$63,000 (55,562 EUR) launch edition will include AWD 300kW, pano glass roof, weave tech seats, Harmon Kardon sound”

Most car manufacturers seem to go this route when releasing new evs into the wild…see Ford, VW, Tesla…

Some more info on options and specs…
“Pilot and Plus Package Specification
Pilot Package

• Pilot Assist
  • Adaptive Cruise Control
  • Blind Spot Information system with steer assist
  • Cross Traffic Alert with brake support
  • Rear collision warning and mitigation
  • Collision avoidance and mitigation by braking and steering
  • Run-off-road mitigation
  • Forward collision warning
  • Lane Keeping Aid
  • Road Sign Information
  • Speed limiter
  • Driver Alert Control
  • Post impact braking
  • 360° Camera incl. parking sensors
  • HomeLink™

Plus Package

• Fixed panoramic sunroof + Polestar symbol lit in/on roof
  • Pixel headlights with welcome sequence
  • LED front fog lights with cornering function
  • Headlight high pressure cleaning
  • Heated wiper blades
  • Heated steering wheel and rear seats (heated front seats fitted by default)
  • Power front seat backrests
  • Mechanical cushion extensions
  • Rear storage net, front seat backrests
  • Interior high level illumination
  • Harman Kardon premium sound
  • Additional USB connector rear
  • Inductive charging for smartphone
  • Rear floor “lid in lid” with bag holder

Polestar 2 specs:

• 78 kWh battery (324 pouch cells, 27 modules, liquid-cooled)
  • expected 275 miles (442 km) of EPA range
  • 0-100 km/h (62 mph) in 4.7 seconds
  • dual motor all-wheel drive
  • system output: 300 kW (408 hp) and 660 Nm of torque (one 150 kW and 330 Nm electric motor per axle)
  • 150 kW fast charging capability”
1 Like

Any idea when these will hit dealers?

I’m not even sure where or how they’ll be sold

It will not be through volvo

Seriously? That’s a failure waiting to happen.

I would be more worried about where it’s made than anything else.

From their web…

Business model

“Polestar will take a new approach to market with subscription as the primary offer. The cars will be offered as an all-inclusive single monthly payment, aiming to take the hassle out of traditional car ownership.
The monthly fee will include everything from maintenance, insurance and roadside assistance to pick-up and delivery services that will redefine the owner experience. All orders and transactions will be completed online.
This online approach will be complemented by stand-alone retail spaces around the world. Polestar Spaces will be located in city areas where people gather and where customers can experience Polestar by meeting and talking with product experts.”

I’m thinking they will have these store fronts for photo ops but the cars will be serviced at Volvo dealers.

@Bostoncarconcierge So you think they may go the Hyundai route and start opening up “Polestar dealerships”? Or they might make it a Tesla type store…basically all cars need to be ordered from the factory?

That be a big investment.

You can configure and reserve yours now for July 2020 first delivery

1 Like

Weird that they wouldn’t utilize the existing Volvo dealer network and just sell it as a seperate model. Instead it looks like they’re going the Tesla route. I wonder how many cars were leased under the Volvo subscription service. That may be an indicator how this will go.

They will start selling them, eventually. The same thing was with XC40 at first - subscription only.

1 Like

I think it’ll be what the :man: :bear: :pig: says above

Granted, this is just speculation.I wrote it in a very definitive manner.

Will try to get more intel in the next few weeks.

1 Like