Funniest/most ridiculous dealer replies you've ever gotten

I liken that to people telling me to “have a blessed day”. It’s usually not what they mean.

3 Likes

The most ridiculous response I received recently was from a dealer while I was trying to get my Gladiator. I sent him an offer that clearly laid out everything I was looking for and in response he told me that he was going to make me a “very aggressive offer due to everything that is going on in the country right now”(Covid, etc). His very aggressive offer was higher than a full MSRP deal somehow. Even worse is when I called him out on it he told me that I wasn’t including the bank fee in my calculations, even though it was clearly in there, just not itemized. Trying to use a pandemic to tell me that your terrible offer is the deal of a lifetime is probably the most ridiculous thing I’ve experienced.

17 Likes

…“I am sorry that there is a discrepancy between what you are seeing on a non BMW authorized site. We are all in on this vehicle at the deal quoted. Thanks again for the opportunity to assist you with your next vehicle…”

2 Likes

In affluent areas that system can actually work quite well. The buyer has no sense of what the fair market value price should be nor any interest in spending time finding out. They just want to know they didn’t spend more than the next guy.

2 Likes

1 Day before months end: emphasis on all caps : “GIVE ME A CALL TOMORROW, I’M POSITIVE I CAN BEAT THEIR OFFER, AND MAKE A DEAL BY TOMORROW”

Months End: “I talked to the manager, why are you trying to buy here? And if you can get these numbers we’d like to purchase some for our inventory…” Proceeds to contact me multiple times that day to see if I’d like a reprice, cause some incentives just popped up in the last hours of the month…

17 Likes

I challenged a dealer to donate to charity that called me out on “impossible pricing” after doing it multiple years in a row. They went silent. Here is the post.

2 Likes

Y’all are making me wish I saved all of my emails. I wind up just deleting responses I don’t like.

My favorite interaction is a very old one, but I hold it in high regard. Was looking to lease a Japanese sedan back in '98. I was visiting the stores for test drives. Had a Dakota to trade in. SM at the Toyota store was trying to run numbers and gave me the trade-in value of my truck. After some back and forth, I asked, “are you using Galves?” He confirmed and wondered how I even know about it. I then proceeded to tell him how to read it and calculate. I explained I knew where his number came from, but he “mistakenly” left off 4wd and the v8 and failed to calculate for the low miles. He said “here are your keys. your truck is out front. you need to leave now.” Getting kicked out of a dealership is a badge of honor, IMHO.

17 Likes

I once got “kicked out” of a Subaru dealer for asking for an “unreasonable” discount. Salesman just kind of stood up and basically just told us we’re not being unreasonable and was clearly indicating we should leave. I was helping a friend shop for a WRX.

4 Likes

Here’s one from Baker Jeep. Quite a few crazy CDJR dealers here in NJ. I ended up beating the offer I sent to them by $15/mo and had to rub it in his face a bit since he continued to leave me condescending voicemails after I stopped emailing him.

26 Likes

What a time it was when you could get a 4x4 Overland for $411 with $411 at signing. Jeep’s incentives just ain’t what they used to be. @Mikemikemike

3 Likes

You love to see it! Good luck to them!

“Lifetime Powertrain Warranty” :joy::joy::joy:

6 Likes

Lifetime power train warranty is what you need for every lease.

9 Likes

…“We can continue go back and forth via email but you’ll get our best price
with your presence in the store.
I’m sure you’ve been in contact with several local dealerships.
Bring us your best quote. I’ll meet or beat it and include our protection package gratis.
We outsell every xxxxx dealer in both xxxxx 10 -1.
If you pull the trigger elsewhere you’ll pay too much for your vehicle. Plain and simple…”

Edited with xxxxx to protect the identity…

2 Likes

Baker Jeep sucks. I think people with money in and around Princeton just pay whatever they tell them to pay. They were friendly and professional but aside from that they were useless in trying to get my Gladiator.

2 Likes

This is definitely true. I’ve probably engaged them all at some point and I would only go with Buhler or Ramsey at this point. Ramsey was a tough nut to crack too. Buhler was definitely the most up front by far. I’d probably try them again first.

2 Likes

Other side of the desk, I sold cars for a short time, working mostly internet leads. Someone emailed about a 2 year old Taurus that was still new. Made a terrible offer even with its age. We said just said no. They emailed a week later in response to an auto generated email. Accused us of running a museum for new cars and we were completely unreasonable. We had actually sold the car. So, I replied with the standard “the vehicle you are interested in has sold…” and signed it, “Sincerely, Museum Curator”

I hope they got to the end of that message.

5 Likes

The JGC loyalty rebate was huge. With Carvana prices at the time I was also able to turn a profit on my ‘19 Limited even after buying it outright and paying taxes.

1 Like

No offense Ben or CDJR people!

Yes I know my broker tag lapsed. I’m staying around.

kia dealer asking me what’s wrong with their $900/month stinger lease offer.

10 Likes

I went to a BMW dealership to test drive X4 xDrive 30i, after test driving the car. I told the sales person I needed some time to think about it, so he said his manager would like to come and thank me for coming out, so I said sure- Manager came out with a spreadsheet quoting me $1300/ month for 36 months $1000 down. Look at me and my eyes and told me this was the best deal in town and his daughter just lease an X4 40i at $1250/ month because he could apply employee discount. I burst out laughing and they asked me to leave :). Apparently, I was waisting their time.

8 Likes