Full-size SUVs - what's your recommendation for model and deals/pricing?

Thanks!
I’m in an Explorer now and I’d prefer something bigger. Neighbours have a Telluride and Palisade respectively and they seem like great vehicles at a reasonable price point, but now that I’ve sampled the big boys I’m not sure if I can go back to mid-sized.

Telluride and Pilot are packaged way better than Explorer. Sit inside one and decide for yourself.

But TX, X7 or GLS might best fit what you’re looking for. Or Enclave if domestic.

Agreed. My Explorer is actually pretty ancient now too - it’s a 2013. One thing I do enjoy is power on tap and my Explorer has an older version of the 3.5 Ecoboost which has always been satisfying. The 6.2 in the Yukon was ok but not that impressive - I can only imagine the 5.3 GM staple feels underpowered in full size SUVs these days. That’s part of the appeal of the Sequoia and Expedition as well - I think 3.0L V6 twin turbos are the new sweet spot for these barges.

I’ve sat in a Pallisade as a passenger and it had a great interior, but compared to the Yukon XL it’s a different ballgame.

What’s your take on X7 vs GLS? I feel like they’re probably out of the price range unless it’s an attractive lease deal (otherwise I’d look to buy)

What did you think of the Palisade interior vs the Yukon XL?

I honestly wasn’t paying too much attention to the Pallisade’s interior - the trim I was in was very white and seemed clean/modern. Yukon was dark and comfortable - it was a Denali. I’m not a huge interior afficianado though.

Yeah the Yukon is obviously way bigger, I think the gmc interior is probably not as nice as a palisade though

1 Like

6 Likes

My biased opinion is X7. Was in similar situation and cross shopped x7 and gls. X7 has probably one of the most comfortable captain chair, has a lot more recline vs gls as well. You even get climate control and sunroof on 3rd row. Interior wise I like the x7 more than gls as well. Reliability wise gls is also much worse vs x7.

1 Like

For some reason I feel like BMW and Mercedes owners saying the other brand is unreliable is kind of pot/kettle. If either had better average reliability or lower cost of ownership, their residuals would be higher than the other, but their residuals almost mirror each other (aka, pretty bad).

1 Like

I have both bmw and Mercedes :man_shrugging:

I hope you have two extended warranties :wrench:

It’s fine. I can afford an engine or transmission replacement or two. It’s really not as a big deal as people think it is. Have owned multiple bmw before this and never had any issues with them.

havent sold a single one of these btw. i’m over $100/month cheaper than the guys from infiniti of bayside, who claim they have sold a ton on the forum (read: full of shit).

5 Likes

BMW have surged recently in quality metrics. I’m not sure if there’s an obvious root cause (e.g. management or platforms), but I’ve heard great things about some of their engines (e.g. B58s) so I’d be open to it.

Appreciate the honesty as always!

What’s your take on full size SUVs? Any preferences?

Doesn’t your budget limit your choices? Maybe
1-2 of those vehicles fit your budget.

Full Size Range Rover SVR – Stunt on them Zaddy

Yeah, budget definitely limits choices. Lower end of the range too so realistically no SVRs, No Caddys, no X7’s or GLS’s unless they’re CPO.

Budget is firmly in the range of mall-moms… Tahoe, Yukon, Expedition, and Sequoia. As comfortable as the Wagoneer was to drive recently, I’m not a fan of the look and the facebook group is an endless stream of people complaining about issues and asking about Lemon Law buybacks. The Yukon group isn’t much better tbh.

We don’t really need an XL.

For what its worth I was very impressed by a 2023 Expedition Max Platinum we had as a rental car. Fit 6 adults and their carry-ons comfortably. The interior was extremely nice and comfortable as well as super easy to drive for how large it felt. It appears 2024 brought some updates to the lineup so a used 22-23, in many different trims, could be had in your price range easily. I have not owned a Ford so I can’t comment on reliability

1 Like

They are fine cars but their lease programs suck and options are hideously expensive. Right now they are for people who can stroke $90-100k checks without worrying about it.

Some other specifics: Mercedes seem to always dial back their throttle response for “luxury” so despite whatever the HP rating or the mags’ 0-60 time, don’t expect a responsive car. I would avoid any iteration of BMW’s N63 V8 like the plague. And if you are going to get a used car, why not a J200 LX then? It will outlast an X7 that’s 6 years newer and I say that as a fan of BMW sport sedans.

Between wanting more power on tap and the budget, i don’t think you’re going to like the naturally aspirated V6s like the ones in the Palluride and Enclave or a very barebones GLS with MBtex and missing many features found in sub $30k cars. I think the first car you should test drive is the TX PHEV

2 Likes