Friend spent $6K in F&I

Friend just bought a new GLC300.

At closing, decided to buy a bunch of warranty/service plans…apparently they are refundable at any time on a pro-rated basis because they are Mercedes plans.

Question: Should he keep them? One is maintenanance for $2600/4 years/40K. Two is tire package for 5 years…$1900. Three is $2100 one set brakes/rotors, one wipers, one alignment and a bunch of other stuff that is probably covered under warranty like belts and bulbs…4 years/48K.

Friend isn’t going to DIY, and most likely will just go back to the dealer for service and repair.

My feeling is that the vast majority of these plans are overpriced…but by how much?

Thanks.

If your friend was worried about this or willing to take advice, they would be posting here.

And maybe they’d search and find

It’s pretty easy to call a couple dealers to see how much those services cost and do the math. The consensus on MB prepaid maintenance seems to be “pass”.

The rest is probably the same, but your friend bought a lot of “peace of mind”.

3 Likes

Does he really need brakes and rotor warranty? The new glc is a hybrid, no?

Tire and warranty is nice, but never a must have unless he constantly goes through tires

You, I mean “friend” should cancel them all in my opinion. I’ve never gotten any of them and have never been in a situation where I would have saved even a dime if I had them.

6 Likes

I bet it was @mohammadm5

4 Likes

I think it really depends on who the driver is, but if I was having a nice young lady drive the car, I would probably invest in tire and wheel because things happen.

The maintenance, I would probably do ala carte because you can always find coupons.

2 Likes

Lol, he finally calmed down from the Benz. Wife said NO :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

but he’s a smart buyer

6 Likes

Several years ago I bought an Infiniti with a factory employee code.

The session in the finance office started like this:

"You’re one of us on this deal.

[gesturing toward a rack of brochures]

You don’t need any of this shit."

18 Likes

I have bought tire and wheel w/ dent/ding, windshield, and lost key insurance on my last 4 cars. At my employee cost, it was well worth it. I also bought CPO +1 on the GT4.

Now on my wife’s cars, I don’t buy anything. Her cars are cheaper, so repairs are not as much and I can just pay one of our guys on the side to fix any problems.

3 Likes

There were a couple of things that made sense… that was just how it opened.

For another $1.73 I also got Nissan factory employee pricing on prepaid maintenance for 7 years and an extended warranty for 60 years or six million miles.

2 Likes

Just cancel them all. You don’t need any of these things for a GLC300.

2 Likes

Say what? :eyes:

1 Like

What if I told you Porsche paid me to get maintenance? Saved $2/mo by adding PSMP +1 to my Cayman S lease.

4 Likes

Makes sense but would it make the same sense on a consumer price lease?

1 Like

Not unless it is a very expensive build and even then, doubtful. I was double dipping between the employee discount on the maintenance and the +1 on the RV.

1 Like

Y’all are so merciless. How is the dealership owner supposed to afford his mansion, mega yacht, cocaine, etc if nobody buys the extremely reasonable f & i products?

3 Likes

Then he should at least keep the maintenance package. May as well lock pricing in now considering dealers will just continue to raise labor rates and thus prices

1 Like

I don’t see inflation cooling down,

expect costs to go up a minimum 10% per year, especially in the auto industry which is going to get hit hard with ev adoption and will raise prices even outside inflation to deal with a lower volume of work.

pre paid plans especially for these luxury cars seem smart, idk about the pricing he got though, iv heard to call around and buy from the cheapest dealer as they must all accept it. would be fun to rub it in the face of a dealer you tried to screw you over.

Even with your assumptions it’s probably not smart. Op needs to look at the maintenance schedule for the specific car and then reach out to an independent shop to see how much it will cost. They wouldn’t sell any of this crap if they didn’t make money on it (even after giving the finance manager their cut).

With all these bs warranties these days (including on the things like tvs and appliances and trips) it’s way cheaper to be self insured over the long run.