"Free" Certified 2017 Toyota Mirai

Does the fuel card have an expiration date?

I was wondering the same thing but didn’t have time to look into it further. My guess is that it is the same 3 years that you get on the lease like @Mark.ca mentioned. Based on the Toyota website, hydrogen costs .33/mile so you’d need to drive 15,000/yr to use the $15,000 in three years.

Edit: Confirmed three years or $15,000 https://www.buyatoyota.com/socal/offer-detail/?offerid=miscellaneous_242127

1 Like

I don’t know that I would call it free (obviously neither does anyone here), not really sure I would even call this cheap. The question would be, can you find a similarly equipped/styled car where fuel and payment are less than $5000 per year (or $416 per month). When said that way, it seems kind of steep to me. Aren’t new ones leasing for about this much? Never mind that insurance is going to be higher on a Mirai than most other alternatives. But I guess you own it at the end. Is that a good thing? You end up with a car that costs too much to fuel (e.g. $3 per gallon on a gas car that gets 30 MPG is $0.10 per mile vs. $0.33)?

What i want to know is how much you have to pay the buyer to take it off your hands if you want to “sell” it after say 3 years or so. If there is one used car that can have an appraised value below 0 is this one.

Seems like a good deal to me. Ends up being ~$208 per month when you do 0% for 72 months. Then you have no fuel costs for 3 years + HOV lane access. Great commuter car if you have access to refueling stations. We have 15 stations within 30 mins of our home in Orange County.

2 Likes

My thoughts exactly @SoCalTravels

And why exactly are you doing math on 72mo? There is no fircking way anyone in their sane minds will pay the equivalent of $5-6/gal for fuel when the card expires.
So your monthly is $418 to $312 (if you stretch it to 4 years). You keep this sucker past your fuel card and in addition to your $208 payment your will also have a $500+ fuel payment. No wonder the dealers are trying to give them away for cheap…the problem is they are not trying hard enough.

Prices on fuel continue to drop. $ per mile is very close to premium fuel now here in Southern California.

I can’t imagine having to look at that thing for 72 months, much less paying for it

5 Likes

Actually there is an easy cure for that…get a Clarity first and the design of this turd won’t seem as bad. See, i have a Clarity in my household so this thing looks almost normal to me now.

Lol…that’s actually a big problem! If it’s more expensive to run that premium gas what’s the point??? If they managed to shame you into going green then just go electric and call it a day…much more practical anyway…and actually much cheaper than gas.

They sell at auction for around 6K for similar miles. They sold a ton of them last week! But still 15K gas card tho. hmmm

2 Likes

The clarity is downright sexy compared to this… thing.

2020-toyota-mirai-sedan-angular-rear-exterior-view_100753647_m

A designer seriously got paid to pen that rear end. They should have been taken out back and shot.

2 Likes

It’s crazy how much nicer the 2021 Mirai is. It also appears to be based on the LS500, so there’s that.

1 Like

Agreed. If there was a useful infrastructure for it in all but select areas, it might actually be worth considering.

They should have named it something different, just to make sure people know it isn’t then same thing as the current mirai.

STAY AWAY!!

I’m a current owner of a Mirai. My suggestion is to stay far away from it. Toyota won’t admit and issues with the car.

Yes, the “Free Fuel Card” sounds great, but not worth the hassle when you can’t get fuel.

There are too many variables with the hydrogen technology.

Fueling station runs out of hydrogen and have lines during peak periods. Detouring to a new station will add mileage to car and depreciating the value of your car. Fuel station pumps do break down. Sometimes the nozzle gets stuck because of the hydrogen pump being frozen and you can wait up to 3mins for it to release. Toyota Mirai claims to get 310 per fill up. That is far from the truth. My Mirai is 2.5 years old and the best I can get for a fill up is 252 miles. That means I have to search and go to the hydrogen stations more often. It’s a fuel cell car, so cells diminishes over time and you don’t get a full fill up after a while. Toyota corporate provides no support with any Mirai issues. They just point fingers and make excuses. Corporate doesn’t accept that they pushed these cars out to quickly. Try finding a used Mirai with 35K miles and see what a full fill up would get you in mileage.

Just think that if this car has dropped this much in a few years, and they have to entice you with a “free fueling card”. Where would the value be after ownership of 2-3 years?

I haven’t met one owner of the Mirai that would get into another Mirai. Yes, the new Mirai looks great, but if the hydrogen stations continue to be a problem and the range diminishes over time, is it worth it.

5 Likes

Buy Buy Buy!!!

I love this car, it is unique, and so environmentally friendly. The standard equipment is absolutely amazing, heated steering wheel, who has that. Heated rear seats, come on… For a car selling for $13-15K with a $15,000 Fuel Card, where are you going to find that. Toyota is paying you to drive this…and under Toyota CPO, its a no brainer…

Buy a used one right now under CPO program, all the Toyota salesperson are buying them, which tells you, something is up. So many parked around the dealership own by the sales force…hummmm…

CPO Mirai Program

Up to 3 years/$15,000 worth of complimentary fuel ($15,000), buy a non CPO Mirai, and you can use one card for both cars.
8-year/100,000-mile, whichever comes first, Fuel Cell System Warranty
Each certified used Toyota Mirai has passed a 165-point inspection
Zero greenhouse gas emissions
About five minutes to refuel, no need to plug in overnight.

The haters do not know what they are talking about. As with the range, I get 250 miles on a 5 min refueling…please tell me which EV can be charged in 5 mins and get 250 miles…

Also, hydrogen cost is dropping fast,by 2025, it should be the cost of a gallon of gas. If that happens, the value of this car will hold or might even go up.

2 Likes

Too many horror stories to risk buying one even with free fuel. The fact that issue is with the fueling is even more concerning because there is simply no workaround other than trying to find a working fuel pump. Just to simply suspecting your regular gas station may-be out of service is inconvenience at best and will strand you at worst.

1 Like

That dealer now has many on sale for $9,888 with a $15,000 fuel card.

3 Likes

If they give me $15k cash instead of the fuel card i may consider it.

3 Likes