[FOR NJ] Best Tesla Deals - Lease or Purchase

, ,

If you end up going that route, pawn the Tucson off to Carmax as they’re still giving me 4-5k over what everyone else is. I just sold them a 22’ Rav4 Prime which we had for four months and they gave me 4k over what I bought it for…

1 Like

Wow! $4000 off DAS AND no sales tax for EV in NJ. Almost makes me want to live in NJ… almost…

2 Likes

You’re either a typical anti-Tesla drone or a misinformed consumer. There isn’t single car manufacturer passing on the $7.5k through a lease without a catch. In fact, Tesla is probably the most effective discount of them all at the moment compared to 2022.

You’ve must’ve missed the wrangler 4xe frenzy that went on here for ~18 months.

10 Likes

Same for an i4 eDrive 35 right now. It’s being passed on without a catch, and it’s a cheap car.

2 Likes

The issue with selling it to Carmax, Carvana or GMTV is that I would have to pay almost 2k in taxes, which would eat most of the equity we seem to have in the car. When I go to the Paramus Tesla store on Saturday, I’m going to ask them if they’re willing to match my highest quote (so far Carvana) for a trade-in. If they do, I might pull the trigger. To answer @Bluemkn57cars 's questions, we mostly commute with the Tucson, and we have another SUV for longer trips when we need more room for luggage etc. We own a single-family home, so yes, I would be able to install a charger at home (I just checked, and it looks like I have room in my panel for a 240 breaker). The other SUV is paid off, so we only have 1 payment right now.

What’s the catch with all other manufacturers like Audi, Porsche, VW, BMW, Mercedes, Volvo, etc?

High MF and low RV. Audi and VW especially. They also often remove all the other usual rebates such as loyalty etc from those models so you can’t double dip. It’s rarely as good as the financing route.

To add to this, Audi is currently passing on the $750O EV tax credit on their etron leases.

1 Like

Mercedes is actually offering conquest on certain EVs that they pass it, so it really depends .

1 Like

That’s not entirely true…. Audi has $5k additional in incentive on top of $7500. If you look historically (Dec vs Jan), many of them of actually improved RV to make the leases more attractive. It’s in their interest to make the $7500 fully available to the lessee to move these pieces since otherwise buyers wouldn’t qualify, so it’s free cash for them.

Are there specific cases of jacked up MF and dropped RV? Probably. But doesn’t mean they are doing it for all their cars.

So happy I came across this thread. My wife’s CX-5 lease comes to term in August and my 4xe comes to term in 2 years. We’re currently renting in NW NJ, however the community offers free level 2 charging (which I take full advantage of with my 4xe).

I work near Paramus, so my commute is roughly 35 miles each way. My wife works from home, so I rotate the vehicles to keep mileage down.

Should I be considering this Tesla deal?

As a NJ res you benefit greatly but check with your insurance company too. Geico quoted me over $1600 for 6 months for a 2023 M3 rwd and that is with 2 other vehicles on the policy along with our condo.

1 Like

Wow…1600 just to cover the Tesla for 6 months. Ouch.

I have Progressive and they do not seem to penalize Teslas.

They sure do penalize teen drivers though!

Same here, Geico nailed me $1758/6 months for two drivers and three cars including the M3 as soon as I added it. Squeaky clean driving and personal records too. Something I did not factor into the deal beforehand lol

Full coverage $1500 Ded. with full glass.

$500 deductible.

This is metro area NYC. Clean driving record and no teen drivers.

1 Like

Geico has by far the highest insurance rates for Tesla, on average. Especially in NJ.

Be prepared to switch insurance providers if this is your first Tesla. Rates will vary wildly.

I generally recommend State Farm, but using GetJerry is a good place to start.

3 Likes

Car Insurance, probably more than any other type, is wildly inconsistent. You and your neighbor could be the same age, driving records and same cars…and have totally different premiums.

It’s really important to shop your policy every year, or even more often if possible. It usually takes no more than an hour, and can save you thousands.

I had Liberty Mutual though Audi years ago…it was a good 30% less than anyone else. Then I got in an at-fault accident, insurance nearly doubled for three years (other carriers worse). I thought it would go down after three years, but no…so I switched to Progressive and saved another 35%+.

As for Tesla…it is more expensive to insure than my Subaru leases, but only by a couple hundred dollars a year. I use Costco right now…no complaints.

Costco auto insurance? Interesting.