First lease ending soon what to do next

1st time leasing here are details my lease is ending soon trying to figure out what to do. I’d like to get a different vehicle if I have to I’ll stick with another Explorer. I feel like the back seats could be more comfortable. Don’t want to go smaller and want the 3rd row option.

Not sure if its good to wait til end of term or look now while I notice there is alot of holiday sales. The current dealer called me few times and said about turning it in early not sure if thats smart to do. I don’t know what charges we will be hit with. I will clean it out good before taking it. Its a little dirty.

Current lease 2019 Ford Explorer
Msrp 35000
Traded 10 year journey in and pay $295 a month 4 months left of lease not sure if we really got a good deal or not.

22455.40 purchase option
Current 22273
24156 miles allowed it had around 3k on it and 10,500 milage a year allowed 2 year lease

I’d like to be under $400 month lease and less than $3000 down. Best deal possible.
I like the Atlas, Ascent, Highlander, MDX, Enclave as toppicks , Explorer again if nothing else is doable

Would I be better off going with another 2 year lease or get 36 month one? I’m thinking I won’t have to buy tires they’re pretty good. I’ll have to pay a fee to move to different brand from what I read but can that be negotiated?

Honestly your questions are all over the place, it seems you’re not really sure what you want for your next car or what any of the options may cost, so it will be hard to provide much meaningful advice.

That said, if you don’t want another Explorer then don’t get another Explorer.

Spend some time on here researching those other cars, search broker listings and past deals to get an idea of what a lease will run.

Then, once you’ve narrowed it down to 1 or 2 options, you can really focus on getting the best deal on the new car as well as what the best option is for ending your current Explorer lease.

1 Like

Most Highlanders (except for XSE and Limited) lease for less than $400 with $1k down in California.
So you might want to reach out in Marketplace and see who’s got a deal in PA

1 Like

When does your lease end?

Deals don’t seem too good right now so I’d definitely wait til the end of your term. No sense rolling in payments

1 Like

You need to review your current lease contract for details on vehicle turn in fee, excess wear and tear, etc. You need to contact the lease financing company to see if they actually have any loyalty incentives such as waiving fees, or turning the car in a few months early. Do not rely on the dealership for this information, they are ignorant at best, or lying at at worst.

Contact your leasing bank/company to understand your current lease.

It’s a good time to start making a short list and test driving.

1. If you don’t want another Ford don’t worry about turning it in early

2. Do get a free Autovin inspection 1 month out to see if you will owe any excess wear and tear after you turn it in

Another consideration on upfronts and early disposition: if these were the numbers on your current 2 year lease, you effectively paid $525/mo. If you turn in 3 months early, you lost $375 in prepaid utility through your upfronts. One of many reasons I only sign and drive, and if you can think about your budget as $0 DAS / $525 you will likely do better than paying upfronts IMO.

As for 2yr vs 3yr, roughly the 2 year residual should be 6%+ higher than the 3 year, but in most cases lease for 36 months (not longer than the warranty term).

Even though it’s your first lease, a re-read of Leasing 101 may save you $$$ as you lease again.

4 months left

I’m not super picky I’m good with whatever if its a good deal just want 3rd row and rear ac. What would be the best deal from those? Or does it all matter with what is negotiated? Its just for random personal driving grocery, family trips and sometimes picking up large items.

Honda Pilot EX or EXL is probably your best bet

I can believe no one mentioned selling the lease. I would recommend selling it to to carvana, vroom, ALGO or anyone else that will soak up the turn in fee and any wear and tear. Seems like the thing to do and not deal with turn in issues.
Then you can walk into any dealer and talk real numbers.

Does carvana do leases or would it be a purchase? I’ll check out those sites thanks

Be sure to specify your location when asking for input on a deal! Tagging by state (e.g. CA, NJ, NY) is mandatory. I’m in PA
I stumbled across this site and I was wondering if this site is really too good to be true/ legit? Anyone have experience on it?

I am going to clean my explorer soon and schedule someone to inspect that has called. Do I use theirs first or consult someone else? I think I need to get front tires.

I’m pretty set on getting either an Atlas or Highlander, (possibly Jeep if 3rd row comes out by lease ending April)

Thanks!

None of these look like particularly good deals once you get to the fine print about it excluding all the taxes and fees. I see absolutely no reason to use an unknown web broker with no review history and listed mediocre deals over one of the brokers here you can actually do some research on.

And you can use the ford inspector. Do the pre-turn in inspection and they’ll send you an itemized list. Doing it ahead of time gives you an opportunity to cross shop doing the repairs yourself vs what they’d charge.

Ok they seemed alot better of deals than say the one on vw website or each brands website. Where and how to I find the best deals or negotiate? Where do I get started with a broker? Do I just take the vw offer and use that as a negotiation at the dealership? I watched a few YouTube videos and articles but it still seems confusing. I see now their vw isn’t good it’s not 10k

1 Like

Start with the leasing101 section here and spend some time reading the forum/looking through the marketplace here.

Brand/dealer offers generally aren’t worth your time in even looking at.

1 Like