First Carfax record at 16K miles?

Re litigation - of course.

But I don’t think Carvana would refuse to honor a warranty on a car they sold because the previous owner didn’t have all the needed records.

I haven’t heard of them, or CarMax, ever doing that. If that was the case than a huge number of the warranties they sold wouldn’t be valid. Just seems like a relatively unlikely scenario to me unless someone can find this being a pattern of behavior at Carvana. But I acknowledge it’s a risk.

I took my M550 (2018) in to my independent mechanic for its first service recently, and without asking he said that his customers have had great luck with their M550s (and that V8 in general), and that minor oil leaks are about all he’s been fixing on them.

I didn’t care enough to ask about other BMW engines.

I don’t know the technical side of it but we would get 4-5 year old trade-ins that were starting to show signs of oil leaks when I worked at BMW. The I6 engines generally last longer, but the V8 is probably one of the worst engine’s for long-term reliability. The only BMW engine I would want to own long-term is the S55 engine in the M2/3/4 since it is a solid engine and changing the plastic charge pipes to metal make it a beast.

Some people are just lazy and indifferent. Possible the original owner never bothered taking it into a BMW for service - or a place that utilizes Carfax reporting. Maybe afraid due to the pandemic, uninterested, not paying attention. Who knows without any record.

So assume an oil change was never done until the first record and the car probably was not taken care of by the original owner. Also a red flag the BMW dealer would have auctioned such an attractive low mile BMW in this black swan market. Likely they could not CPO the vehicle and sold it to auction.

For example, Tires Plus does not report any service records to Carfax and they are big here in Florida. Some people might be silly enoguh to take a German car to Tires Plus (or someplace like that) for an oil change and service.

There is no original owner in this case. It appears the dealer used it as a unlicensed loaner.

The image I am seeing doesn’t show the initial record of title unless “corporate fleet vehicle” could mean a dealer service loaner. It does say first owner on 3/31/2021 so this one is very odd.

Maybe the OP can call to BMW Winter Park to see if you can get anymore info on the vehicle VIN. It’s like throwing a dart, but the worst that the service dept can do is hang up on you or not return your call. Or check a few used cars online at the dealer and see if this same thing pops up on any other 2020 BMWs for sale,

Not really, an untitled Loaner car will drive around without license plates or a DLR Plate, and isn’t considered titled yet. That’s why ‘first owner’ is 3/31. But as this car has 15k miles it no longer counts as a BMW Demo (I believe that’s 5k) and had to be sold without any incentives.

Actual loaners usually get plates so that EZPASS/tolls/violations etc can be billed to whoever loaned it at the time.

This car spent its life outside that ecosystem; it was a principal or exec or their family member who just DGAF.

Oh yah I keep forgetting this is in FL.
In CA, they can drive around with a Dealer Plate without titling the car.

Thanks again everyone, very useful tips.
@xenhacker - I have called the Winter park BMW service department a few days ago, and they didn’t give me any additional information beyond the fact that they serviced the car on that date (duh).
I’ll visit my local dealer and see what I can find.

As the forum contrarian, I’ll just say we did have lives before there was such a thing as Carfax, and we got by just fine. Use a known mechanic to inspect before purchase and roll on down the highway. Time for a rebranding anyway…who uses faxes that’s days?

Financial Institutions…for some reason I keep encountering FIs that keep asking for faxes.
But yes CarFax is a pretty antiquated name.