First Car for my 20 year old son

We need to purchase a car for my son in college. He is 20, and this would be his first car. We are thinking of leasing, but I am open to purchasing if it fits better.
He is on the larger size, so I need to take that into consideration.
Any suggestions on what would be the best car/price? I am a teacher and go back to school in a week and this just came up today. I am hoping someone here has the magic answer to save me from shopping all over!
I was thinking either a Hyundai Elantra, Honda Civic, Honda CR-V, any other ideas?
Thank you!

Do you have any budget range in mind?

2 Likes

What’s your budget for down payment and monthly, or a lump sum for a cash purchase?

You need one of them female driven specials

7 Likes

I’d like to just put $1000 down and keep our payments under $500 a month. I just don’t know if that’s possible in this market. Obviously the lower the better.

Maybe not my business, but is it your idea to get your (adult) kid a car, or is it his idea?

B/c, if it’s his idea but he wants you to fund it, maybe ask him to put in some time to research cars that fall into your budget? And taking his own time to find car that fit him (physically) well? He can presumably read and search this site as easily as you can.

Also, do you HAVE to find a car in a wk? Meaning, if you didn’t know about this b/f, I’m kind of assuming this isn’t an emergency situation. Trying to rush a major financial decision is generally not a good idea.

8 Likes

How about mazda cx30? Decent size, good handling, nice for first car, good fuel eco, good reliability, friendly for young drivers…
Seen deals like 360/mo with only 300 down

1 Like

Depends on how big son is. I am a (lean) 5’11" and partner is 6’3" (average build for someone in middle age). We test drove a CX-30, and it was quite cramped. The Mazda3 and CX-30 are both far too swoopy for anyone remotely tall, IMHO.

1 Like

An accord or Sonata wont be that much more out of pocket and are certainly roomier vs Elantra or Civic.

1 Like

And the Accord apparently isn’t selling well (so maybe possible to get a discount off of MSRP)!

I doubt it would lease well, but, if son is a decently responsible driver, an Accord would certainly make sense as a purchase long-term.

Yes. There are discounts in the marketplace on them. Certainly on Altimas as well which as similar.

Helped my brother get into one and there were discounts for sure.

Good point :thinking: mid size sedan or suv may make more sense.
My very first car was actually 15’ accord when I was still in high school. Id say I LOVE the accord, very spacious, gas saver, never ever had a single issue with it… tons of good memories

But I doubt it leases well now… def better to purchase one. Unless OP decides to get a used one, you can find 8th gen accords in good condition (decent mileage, clean title) cost under 15k

1 Like

Accord leases okay. $360 a month and 2k at signing w @AutoCompanion

If you have a dealer than can do a CULA lease they’re even lower. Local dealer here in MA is at 319 a month plus drive offs

3 Likes

Why tf would you spend that much plus insurance unless you’re filthy rich? For a kid in college? On a first car that’s gonna get dented and dinged and beat up?

This situation has sub $5,000 purchase written all over it. Camry, Corolla, Crown Vic/MGM or Buick 3800.

6 Likes

Have we considered finding inspiration from this post?

I personally would not put my kid in a car that didn’t meet modern crash safety standard and didn’t have some driver’s assistance (incl a backup camera) or in a car that was very large (and might be hard to maneuver/park).

I think a new Jetta Sport would be great for college student, personally.

7 Likes

Thanks! I didn’t even think of the Mazda- I will take a look.

I’m going through the same situation right now @max_g . I’ve been looking at used Outbacks, Escapes, Mariners, & RAV4s for my 16 year old who got his license last week. You posted a link to a fantastic Outback in Newberry Port, MA. I couldn’t get up there, but thank-you. Made me realize there is hope and good well loved cars out there.

1 Like

He was offered an internship for the fall semester at the last minute - he is very involved in government projects at his university so this was a sudden internship. We don’t have to find the car before I go back to work, he can always uber until all the pieces fit.
I should add that he has aspergers, or high functioning autism as they now call it, so I wanted to give him a specific list of cars to research. Without a specific list he will be too overwhelmed with all the choices.

3 Likes

Thank you, I will look at the jetta. I think I was afraid he wouldn’t fit. He is not tall, just large in the other directions :(.